Where to take this team?

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by rbssoa, May 29, 2010.

1. rbssoa

rbssoa New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Kensington, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I coach a 3rd grade recreational girls’ team and just finished the spring season 7-1 after a 1-5-2 fall. But our league had us in a weaker conference this spring because of our fall record, so the team, although improved, still has a lot to learn. A general snapshot:
    • Skill Levels: Three players who could obviously develop to a very advanced level. Five more could do well for mid-level "tryout teams". Four should stick with recreational play.
    • Family Support: The team was a social activity before I took over. Several parents resist the idea of more than one practice /week or travelling out of the general vicinity for games. Three or four families would go the distance if their kids really wanted to move up to the next level, a couple with some arm-twisting. The rest would drop out if we played anything but recreational soccer. But of course, they all would like the team to stay together.
    • Attitude and Behavior: The girls can get very unruly, and the more motivated players don’t like it when they do. I’m usually good at keeping them focused, and we have fun as a rule, but my previous coaching started in 5th grade and I wonder when they will lose the "crazies". I’ve even had some real anti-social behavior – a couple of actual fights, and some very aggressive grabbing and pinching, etc., both of which earn them a seat on the sideline.
    So my questions are 1) with the above in mind, should I be thinking about moving this team up to the next level of competition after another season if they do well? 2) Why keep the team together if some of the parents want to hold them back? I admit I would hate to see the team break up, but some of these kids really can develop into very good players. And 3) what are reasonable expectations in 4th grade for behavior in practice? If push comes to shove with the more difficult ones, what is acceptable discipline?

I know these are broad questions, but if anyone has the time to read through it and has some thoughts they would be most appreciated.

2. NewInTexas

NewInTexas New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    It sounds like you are kind of stuck. Rec soccer is rec soccer so you have one of two choices IMO.

1) Tell the kids who are dedicated to go move to a club or team where they can learn footwork at their pace or...

2) Take the dedicated players off and leave the rec players to find a new team.

Ive been told one of the worst things a coach can do is keep a more advanced player around when they can benefit from more. It takes away from both the lesser players who get less touches on game day and the better players who have to move at the lesser player's training pace at practice.

3. rbssoa

rbssoa New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Kensington, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is indeed the dilemma. The group with potential still has to prove themselves against tougher competition, so I think I'll see how they do next season with an eye towards moving them up a level in 5th grade. If they know that's the goal they should be excited about it. They have to pass a skills test anyway, so there's some preparation involved. It might give the others motivation to train more seriously too.

4. NewInTexas

NewInTexas New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    eh...it's almost impossible to coach a random group of kids at the same level like that. Id say by 5th grade a kid who is going to be moving beyond rec should already be well on their way...but this isn't all necessarily your problem. You have to coach to the weakest player on your team and its up for their parents to ultimately decide the dedication level.

5. rbssoa

rbssoa New Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Kensington, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a plan I'm considering: Give the better players 4th grade to prove themselves against better competition as the league will move us up to a conference with better teams in the fall. Let everyone know that if we do well enough in 4th grade we'll start another team at the next level in 5th grade, so players can train for and pass the league skills test for that level (called "Classics"). Some of the other players might work harder if they see that opportunity as well. If all goes well, form a Classics team in 5th grade, but keep the rec team active. Both practice together once per week, and the Classics players practice a second time by themselves. Classics team plays winter and summer indoor seasons, as well as tournaments, with Rec players invited to join in for seasons outside our home league. Classics and Rec teams scrimmage regularly. Thus, we establish an appropriate level of play for everyone and keep them together in a soccer "club". We could even associate with a boys club that does essentially the same thing. Rosters would be kept less than full to allow some players to move back and forth between seasons if appropriate. Thoughts?

6. jayhump

jayhump Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think as a 'rec' coach we all have this dilemma. I know out of 11 girls on my rec team 5 could make the cut to the next level. My daughter sets right on the bubble along with 1 other and then the other 4 NEED to stay 'rec'.

I'm sure we all have loyal parents that would want to stay with us till the kids are U19. I've recently started talking to my parents about trying out for select and comp in our club. As with most the first question was am I 'the coach' am planning on coaching the select team then time? Commitment? Money? and would our kids all go together. I was honest with those present at the time. I'm pushing for our club to have an all-star team that I would take under me and play in an older division. Right now our club is age pure. U8 is U8, U9 is U9 and so on.

There are 3 different kind of players in the 'rec' level. Those that get the game and are on top, those who need more training but are almost there and then thoses who just want to have a good time. Myself, I want to make sure the girls learn. I'm all about the small touches and winning the one on one battles.

Like I said we all have the same kids, clubs should recognize this earlier and act on it. Get the coaches together and pull those girls/boys together earlier. All of the upper levels of our clubs would benefit.

Jay

7. Shawn Bronson

Shawn Bronson New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think that everybody want's to move up out of rec why?In sport you will only be as strong as your lowest league.You should move out when you win the league I coach a u15 girls team I want to play in Rec but no teams to play so we are in RC the girls are better than us but I thought RC would be much better than it is.
    But I see on this forum most coach's want out why?
    Is it the name.
    We should make this level as good as RC then RC would be better and so on.Playing your RC team at rec does not count.