Where to stay in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Dynamo_Joe, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Hello to everyone.

My bro and I are flying up on May 16th for the match between TFC and the Dynamo. Any suggestions as to hotels or parts of town to stay in? We are flying up on Wednesday and leaving on Saturday. How far is BMO field from town? I ask because most MLS parks are located in the suburbs of their host city. If you know of any cool pubs and such that we can hang out or places to check out, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

Best of luck in your inaugural season. We certainly enjoyed ours (yeah I know they came from SJ).

2. Nuvinho

Nuvinho New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Downtown Toronto
    It depends on your price range. BMO Field is right downtown......easy access by Public Transportation. There are many hotels in the Downtown core, just depends on your price range.

3. alexintoronto

alexintoronto New Member

Mar 7, 2007

I was tempted to refer you to a bad part of town - but then you wished us luck. Curses.

Here's a website with some Touristy stuff: http://www.toronto.com/guide/visitors

I agree - with the above post - depends on your price range. There are a lot of hotels downtown near Union Station (train station). There is even a hotel in the SkyDome - aka Rogers Center (our football/baseball stadium). This would be a short cab ride to BMO Field and there are plenty of bars & restaurants in the area. Clubs aren't too far away either.

I'd go to the Loose Moose (not too far from SkyDome) for a beer or 3 - and take a picture of all the bras hanging over the bar. If you're lucky there might be a girl or 2 dancing on the bar for a free drink!
    :cool:

4. rocker

rocker New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    here's a photo of BMO so you can see how close it is. t i would just say "go towards that big tower thing in the distance" (haha) and you'll find lots of pubs, bars, etc. from BMO to the CN Tower it should just be a few minutes drive.

[​IMG]

5. scudley

scudley New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Syracuse, NY
    It is a bit early, but I am going to go to the late August DC game with my wife (we will be coming from Syracuse). Any suggestions on a downtown hotel (maybe in the $150US/night or less range)... Courtyard or Novotel or Delta Chelsea maybe?

We will be driving up early Friday to spend some time in the city... any recommendations on what to check out (we are in our mid to late 20's btw)? I will try that link alex posted as well.

Also, is a streetcar our best bet to get from the hotel to the game and back? or should I just drive?

We will be rooting for Toronto so please steer us in the right direction :)

Thanks!

6. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    You have lot's of choices for hotels. Any of the ones you mentioned are fine. If you are close to Union Station, take the Go Train to the first stop west. It will take five minutes, once the train is moving. You get off the train about 150 yards north of the stadium.

The Go Train is more expensive than TTC and only runs about once per hour,(it is really meant for suburban commuters) but it is the most direct route and will cost less that driving and parking the car.

For activities, visit www.toronto.com. Have fun.

7. Gray_Toronto

Gray_Toronto New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Essex
    Im visiting in May, sadly going home before the Chicago Fire game! Gutted, Im staying in the Alexandra, I've heard mixed reviews. I'm on a bit of a budget too.

Any comments?

8. cmonureds

cmonureds New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    I'd like to say first of all thanks to everyone who plans to come up to Toronto to watch games here, whether you are cheering for the home or the away side. I hope that you'll enjoy yourselves and come away with a great experience. I live here and I am VERY excited for the upcoming season but also to meet the visitors who love football enough to travel for it!

For the budget minded traveller, nothing beats staying in a University or College residence. It may not have all the frills of a good quality hotel, but you will have a bed, access to a bath/shower facility, and generally you are pretty much downtown. I believe the University of Toronto has such a programme, see the link below:
    http://www.torontores.com/rates.html

And of course there is always the classic bed and breakfast. Some are in beautiful century homes, and central to downtown toronto, where there is easy access to pubs and nightlife as well as TTC to the game. I recommend picking your place to stay, looking up the location on mapquest, and then you can plan your transportation from there. http://www.10best.com/Toronto/Hotels_and_Lodging/Bed_&_Breakfast;Inn/index.html

Use Tripadvisor as well, especially the negative reviews. A couple I knew from Dundee didn't read the negative reviews and ended up in a room with thin walls and the chance to enjoy hearing some noisy, uh, romance, next door.