Where to play Mathis?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Elder Statesman, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    I know this has been discussed before. When Mathis plays forward he shifts back in central. mid and then Guevera can't perform well. In our last game Guevera shifted to the left and Gaven played in the middle. Maybe Mathis should play in the middle with Guevera on the left and Woly and Magee up front.

My feeling is most of our losses have come when Mathis played forward and Guevera played in the center. In the beginning of the season, Mathis played central mid. with Woly and Magee up front and we started with the best record in the league. When Mathis was away with the nats, we also did quite well. The past two games with Mathis out we've done well. The only conclusion I could come to is to change the formation.

2. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Where would that leave Gaven playing?

Same offense as last week, Mathis starting for Woly.

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Re: Re: Where to play Mathis?

Fixed your post.

4. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ

I agree.... Woly can make more noise coming off the bench.

Gaven must be included in the line-up with his much needed spark.

5. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    3 seats to the left of Bradley.

6. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Where to play Mathis?

Like Red&Black asserts, I think Woly's way more effective off the bench.

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I'd let Woly go to work on their D from the start -- he's a large presence that can't be ignored, and they can't ignore Mathis either, which can create opening of Guevara and Clark as well as Gaven.

Later, when the D is tired, bring in Magee to cut and slash.

8. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    If they simply red card him BEFORE the game, we can ensure that the flow of play isn't interrupted and the team can adjust to being down to 10 men early.

Just a thought.

9. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    also a good point... but who do u think is more effective against a tired defense- Woly or Magee??

I would have to go with Woly... to me it just seems that he is much more dangerous against a tired opponent because of his explosive runs and speed with the ball running away from the defense. Magee seems more of the goal poacher who sits in front of the net on set plays looking for loose balls... besides thats how he scored most of his goals.

I trust Bob with his decisions so we'll see what happens..

10. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    perfect spot for clint to play for the rest of the season.....benchwarmer

he's not needed on this team anymore

11. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    I dont know but something tells me Clint will make an impact in the USOC final and playoffs... maybe its the fact that he's trying to gain intrest from European clubs...

Hopefully i'm right... how great would it be to see the 2000 season Clint once again to make his mark and bring us our first hardware.

12. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    LA doesn't sound like a mad idea. Maybe the new Chivas team.

13. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC

As soon as he scores a couple, those who want to bench or trade Mathis are gonna eat your words. As usual.

He is what he is. He still has abilities no one else on this team has. He is not a perfect player. But the team is better with him on the field, period (as long as he avoids red cards).

I like Mathis and Wolyniec up front, and Guevara and Gaven making runs from the midfield. Put Lisi in for Gaven if you like. That attacking foursome can put some fear into opposing teams while still providing a coherent midfield. Clark, though his play has tailed off, still provides a stability to the midfield.

All Clint has to do is avoid being thrown out of the damn game and he'll do fine.

14. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Re: Re: Re: Where to play Mathis?

The problem with Mathis at front is that he will just come back to the middle and make the middle crowded.

15. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think anyone saying we shouldn't play Mathis is just silly. He's still a very valuable player but IMO he would be better coming of the bench for the 2nd half. But I do agree he just isn't in the mold of a true target forward. This would be my fwds/mid allignment:

Starting
    Woly ------- Magee
    Gaven --- Guevara --- Lisi
    Clark

Subs
    Juskowiak ------- Magee
    Gaven --- Guevara --- Mathis
    Clark

We can add Edgar if we need more firepower or Williams to make it a more defensive lineup depending on the score and how much time is left.

16. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Mathis, when he fails to see action up top right from the start, tracks back as if to say,"I'll show you how to start plays from the midfield" Then Richie Williams starts to take on the playmaker role, too. Guevara finds he has no one to pass to, starts making circlular runs and thus you get the clogged midfield and ineffective soccer.

For my two cents, hold back Woly and Mathis, and let the boys work as a team. Let them push forward with runs, passes, possession in the attacking third and maybe a flier at a long shot. We look great like that. Then no matter what the score, bring in Mathis and Woly to play up top and STAY up top. I'd really like the sight of them both coming on the field together at say 65 minutes in.

Coach Bob has done well, I trust him, though if he lets Junko anywhere near the field ever again.....

17. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Agreed. The key is getting Gaven and Guevara to make some runs forward. We really haven't seen too much of Mathis and Gaven on the field at the same time. Eddie's speed and attacking mentality out of the midfield might work well with Clint's tendancy to drift back towards mid. And Guevara has been on a goalscoring mini-streak lately. Woly is still the only target guy we've got. So that's why I prefer this lineup to Clint in midfield.

Notice until recetly no one mentioned Jusko in this discussion... what a disappointment this guy has been.

18. supermetros

supermetros New Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Park Ridge, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted he hasn't been the savior as promised but I don't think he's been put in positions to succeed yet either. I think Bob will find a spot where we'll get more production from him. Look what he's gotten out of journyman Wolyniec.

19. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ

Yes i was about to mention the same thing... all those nagging injuries over the years took its toll on someone who once was a great player.

20. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Any spot for Jusko will take one of the better players off the field. Why trade youthful enthusiasm, speed and commitment for his slow tired butt. It is way too late to start messin about with trying to fit this lug in.

To keep this on topic, the best spot for Mathis is to politely hold the locker room door open so Jusko can get to the gate in time to buy a ticket for the kick off. That way he can at least watch the game even though at his speed he'll barely make the second half.

21. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I agree on Gaven as starter and also I think Woly's way more effective off the bench

22. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis always comes back to the midfield and screws up Gaven and Amado so i say just sit him another game or two and bring him in as a sub in the second half. Maybe he gets the message. Donovan was benched earlier in the season after the National team's games and it seemed to work motivating him.

Someone has to show Clint either he plays at forward and attacks or he sits. For all his dropping back he has as many assists as tim Howard has this season, one.

23. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
  24. CharlesS

CharlesS Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Someplace between right bench and left out.