Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1851 m vann, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Huge misconception. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Winning is in the culture. But it’s not just getting the 3 points and you’re immune. It’s destroying your opponent and playing a certain way. The fans demand it. They don’t give a flying f*** if you won 2-0 and you put in a bad or mediocre performance - you will hear it from the fans and read it in the press. It’s the unrealistic goal of perfection the fans and media demand. Every move, every little tactic is publicly scrutinized- good or bad. There is also pressure within the squad to perform. Rodgers has zero problems dropping you even if you’re playing well. Others are breathing down your neck to play. Celtic doesn’t have the horses of a PSG but the pressures are that of a “big club” in a “big league”. I haven’t even touched on the pressures of the Old Firm. That’s a whole other animal. Nor did I mention how there’s immense pressure to erase the recent failures in European play. Playing for Celtic isn’t a walk in the park. Numerous players - good ones who’ve gone on to succeed elsewhere - have flamed out at Celtic simply due to not understanding the pressures placed on their shoulders. If you want a low pressure environment go play for Hearts or Hibs.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been anything from Celtic supporters about this potential move?

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I’ve gathered, the sentiment falls into two categories. Those who view it with the same bit of skepticism / pessimism as the Odsonne Edouard signing. He made the exact move from PSG. Edouard, like Weah had limited first team opportunities (even had a failed loan stint), and was viewed as more potential than anything. Luckily, it’s worked out for Edouard. He’s an integral part of Celtic’s success even if he’s labeled inconsistent. The other camp are cautiously optimistic because they clearly remember Weah breaking their hearts with a last gasp, brilliant header in the UEFA Youth League a year ago. Yes, Celtic supporters are very in-tune with and support their youth teams. That loss essentially ended the Baby Bhoys lofty youth league hopes. Weah was brilliant in both legs. The fans remember that performance. That Celtic squad also featured several youth teamers who are now contributors for the senior team.

wsmaugham, jjmack, freisland and 14 others repped this.
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why was the Thread title Changed? Was the loan announced as official?

(also that is the longest thread title I've ever seen. So unnecessary)

6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging @bungadiri. :ROFLMAO:

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I hear my mother calling me home to dinner.

Okay...geez.

I'm going to store this one here:
    Spread love, it's the Brooklyn Weah: The Ten Celtic Commandments--Tim on loan from the Notorious PSG

And put up a temporary.

Dervos, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  8. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Your poor eyeballs had to track all that way to the right. Poor thing.
    Maybe an orange slice will help?
    [emoji12]

9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    You seem to know things. How often does the Scottish league see players like Weah (blistering pace from the striker position, likes to run into the channels, good finisher). What is his competition up top (presuming they play him as a striker)?

10. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should shoot for Henrik Larsson's level. ;)

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SPL isn’t a “slow” league but it’s typically made up of traditional wingers that work tirelessly up and down the pitch and whip in crosses to #9’s. There’s not many who like to cut in and take players on or play from inverted angles (lefties on the right / righties on the left). Weah’s potential teammate James Forrest likes to cut in and is by far the best winger in the league. James Jordan of Kilmarnock is another. He’s fast, has a willingness to take you on, good with both feet and has a cannon of a shot. He turned down Rangers over the summer and supposedly has some promotion hopeful Championship sides chasing him. Like I said, there aren’t many of the same ilk as Weah. It’s a league chalk full of decent, traditional wingers.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They same happy about him arriving to Celtic, at least in the TalkCeltic forum:

http://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/timothy-weah.149558/

"Rumors are that we have secured an 18 month loan for this PSG kid - son of George Weah."

"Absolutely buzzing ....Fantastic signing for us !"

"His dad was something else. If he's half as good then he's a player"

"Mind seeing weah on ch4 live games every Sunday, guy was phenomenal, hof as good as geo then sign up him"

Etc.

13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of the 4 comments reference his dad. The sample you picked is a sample of stupid fans.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  15. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Celtic lost 1-0 to Rangers today, the last game before the winter break.

Let’s hope some of the attackers are blamed and Weah gets minutes for their next game on the 23rd.

Does anyone carry SPL games? I don’t remember ESPN+ picking up this league, although I think I’ve seen games on Bein if I’m not mistaken.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rangers - Celtic was on B/R Live today, but I don't know if that's a regular thing.

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the B/R Live soccer pass subscription website, only "an average of 2-3 matches per round" in the Scottish Premiership are included. But I imagine most--if not all--Rangers and Celtic games are part of that.

https://live.bleacherreport.com/soccer

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I still don't get why Celtic. Is he going to improve or simply score 10 goals and take pride in it? I'd have preferred a Ligue 2 loan.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Playing at Celtic or Rangers is a simulation of what it's like to play at PSG - the teams are head and shoulders above their domestic competition. If they want him to get experience, but intend to bring him back, the logic makes sense.

I'm not sure I believe this, but I can see that thought process happening.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't see Weah helping a relegation candidate because he just isn't very experienced. Hopefully he goes to Celtic.

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    tks, I just started watching. I have B-R for the UEFA CL and they have Rangers-Celtic on replay.

p.s. I think Polster mite still be in the running for a job with Rangers. He's on trial there. I guess we find out when the window opens.

Suyuntuy and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Apparently there was some comment on one of the Celtic boards that this loan will be for 18 months. If true, that's pretty close to a loan-with-an-option-to-buy.

He probably won't be going back to PSG, and there are worse places to be for a lad with Tim's abilities: Celtic are a selling club and are well-scouted by English clubs. I'd rather he went elsewhere but, with European football guaranteed up to Xmas every season, Celtic are better than a Ligue 2 side.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh gawd. If I have to start both hoping for Celtic and Hibs players to score braces while their teams lose in 3-2 and 4-3 games, I'm going to die an earl(ier) death...

But it seems I'll do anything for USMNT hopefuls.

The plus side about OF loans is,
    1) the pressure/public attention/expectations is "big club": Despite the declining relative fortunes of the SPL, OF players still get outsized attention/pressure/reverence depending on the results of the day.
    2) Like to get a game or two against Molde/Dagestan/Cyprus if he were to stay beyond summer.
    3) For a speed and finesse player like Weah, it's a place you have to get "real." Celtic has plenty of good players, but obviously they will not have the collective soccer brain of PSG. As Zelalem saw at Gers and Hyndman has learned at Gers and Hibs, you have to play to the intelligence/quality of your teammates to be effective. Hyndman (having Champs experience) adapted to his team's SPL style better than Zelalem. He plays "cuter" than some of his team does, but only marginally so. He doesn't play like he expects them to be Arsenal players.

I guess I'll survive if this happens...

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Simply score 10 goals" is a very nonchalant dismissal when you consider Weah has ~55 Ligue 1 minutes earned back in the first 2 weeks of August.

10 goals in any decent league setting would be really good.

freisland repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    scoring in Scotland shouldn't be a tense process ;)