Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Both were their usual mediocre selves.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    LOSC ends up 5th in Ligue 1, good enough to sneak into UEFA conference league. Weah has the 11th highest total minutes on the side in league despite missing the first 8 games. In games he DNP LOSC are 4-1-4, in games he appeared they are 15-9-5. He has appeared in every league game since 10/9/22. He played all 3 cup games, starting 2.

While his appearances were in line with the last 2 years, his already limited offensive stat production was down, in no small part, no doubt, to playing quite a bit of FB this year. In 3 years at Lillie he has played over 100 league games, 6 UEFA matches, 5 CL matches, a half-dozen or so cup games, sub minutes in the Trophee d'Champs - and his internationals, despite a injuries interrupting a couple of seasons. If anything, he has to be disappointed with his offensive production for club, but it's also clear that LOSC have tended to like having him on the field when healthy. Not unimpressive numbers for a 22 year old, but depends, of course, on where you think his abilities should land him.

ChicagoVT and aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His G - xG is -2.4.

A negative number means wasted chances. So he was expected to score between 2 and 3 goals this season, but scored 0.

By comparison, the other fullback who played nearly every game, Bafodé Diakité, was expected to score 1.9 but scored 3, for a G - xG = +1.1

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, that would be why he has to be disappointed with his offensive production.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5th is pretty good for Lille.

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    10th last season... 1st the season before... it all averages out! - heck you can even throw in 4th in 19-20, but 2nd in 18-19 kinda screws it up...

Reversion to LOSC mean.

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, but the goal he did score this past year was the one that mattered most in all our hearts.

[​IMG]

8. quolo

quolo Member

Fulham
    United States
    May 11, 2005
    Austin/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Every player in the world is going to Juventus or Napoli this week.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    With at least one notable exception. :(

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Weah being linked to Juve. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either. Allegri plays terrorist football and I suspect Weah would be a rotation piece who sees a lot of time at RWB instead of playing RW like most would prefer but 8 years ago a yank at Juve would have been a dream. So, perspective.

usnroach repped this.
  12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

14. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Reports are Cuadrado (35) is on his way out and he has been the primary RWB/RB for Juve the last several years. So that area of the pitch likely needs strengthening for Juve.

15. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope that part of Weah's calculus for choosing a club is to find a club where he can play in an attacking role. If Juventus is targeting him as a RWB, that seems like a not great decision unless Timmy has been told that's his best position long-term (if so, I don't agree with that assessment given how tidy he is on the ball in the attack, his powerful shot, and his quick combination play).

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he’s gonna play in Cuadrado’s spot, it shouldn’t be so bad. Cuadrado had important attacking responsibilities on Juve.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Weah is a WB , hopefully he goes to Juve, he is both excellent at what he is doing and very limited at what he can do. He can run along the right sideline on a top team for another 10 years.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    As a wingback I'm not sure he'd be able to match even the down-trending Caudrado of last season. Weah has scored 0 goals playing the RWB position in Lille.

19. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Agreed, seems like good fit to me if in that type of role.

20. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is he limited? He has great technique, is an intelligent player who makes quick decisions, he's pacey and athletic, and he has a high work rate.

I know his attacking statistical production (goals + assists) hasn't been gawdy yet at a club or international level, but he passes the eye test as an attacking player and he's still only 23.

superdave, ChicagoVT, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

I'm started to get excited... even if he does play RWB... doesn't stop him from playing RW with the national team... and Juve is big time. Fun.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #7023 butters59, Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Lack of creativity, limited vision. And he doesn't need that to grow into a great WB, as he does have all the good qualities that you mentioned.

bballshawn and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it happens, I'm happy for Tim as a USMNT fan.

As a Juventino, I'm very underwhelmed to whelmed depending on what position he will be played at. Underwhelmed as a ST or RW and whelmed as a WB or RB. Hoping he explodes though!

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Juve have much longer with Adidas? I'd get a Weah Juve jersey but I hate Adidas jerseys