Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Messi scored a stoppage time winner 4-3. Weah appears to have gone the whole game.

2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did go the whole game. Lille were the better team for most of the game, so surely disappointing to lose this one. Weah switched to RB around the 60th minute. He was totally gassed by the ~85th and clearly was dealing with a cramping or tight hamstring. He was forced to tough it out, and the tying goal came because of it (he was exhausted and ball-watching momentarily and his man got free for a relatively easy pass to Mbappe).

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from running out of gas (and being largely responsible for the tying goal), Weah played well and was very dangerous throughout, but especially in the first half and out on the left. Of course, Mbappe was playing on Lille's right, so that likely contributed some to Weah being less dangerous after switching sides. As always, Weah shows he is a really good professional. Solid, smart play, good crossing, clean with the ball, thinking ahead. His one-on-one defending is also good. He's a well-rounded player that has high-level skills across the board.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to suspect a muscle injury, because he suffered it stretching his body to block a ball. That's a dangerous play, especially for someone with his history. Hopefully he didn't aggravate it by continuing to play.

tomásbernal repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's definitely an injury there. How significant I have no idea. I don't know how many subs Lille had left to make, if any, but Weah definitely should have come off late in the game if it were possible to swap him.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    By my count, Lille had three subs left, but just one window, when Weah strained himself at 85’.

The manager then waited until 88’ - after Mbappe had tied the game - to make 2 subs - could have made 3 - but neither sub entered for Weah.

Winoman and tomásbernal repped this.
  7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Weah may hurt himself when he tried to tackle Messi in that crazy sequence when Messi dribbled inside the box. Maybe that is why he cannot track back with the tie goal.
    But if you watch Bumba’s golazo, you understand why Weah didn’t play on right wing forward.

8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bamba is a very dynamic player. Even aside from the goal, he was certainly a standout today among a good team performance.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Lille fans not exactly impressed with Weah as a fullback.

Shame, they had been on his side until recently,

What he said after the game:

https://www.losc.fr/actualites/2023-02-19/apres-psg-losc-les-reactions-lilloises

"It's disappointing because we played well throughout the game. But fatigue caught up with us at the end of the match, with several cramps among the players, and Paris took advantage of it. That's how we paid dearly for our fatigue. Defeat is hard."

Winoman repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Turned 23 yesterday - Happy Birthday!​

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    In Le Groupe today (having recovered from the travails of PSG).

[​IMG]

tomásbernal, freisland and Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    At left back again? I answered my own question google say yes.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Some nerve starting Weah when there's a Fulham game on...

FirstStar repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #6916 TimB4Last, Mar 2, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    ^ Not sure if I ever told you guys, but I would also be interested. I certainly would have been interested when I was still playing club soccer. I would become instantly recognizable, though admittedly in sort of a WTF? way. A guy can dream, can't he?

Returning to reality, I think Tim's Weah's next landing spot is one of our more important product placements. He could take another step up, or at least a half-step up, starting on a team that needs him as (more of) an attacking threat.

chad repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If in his current situation, a step of half step down, he's not seen as enough of an attacking threat, is he going to find that a half step or full step up? In an ideal world, maybe, but I'm hoping rather that he simply starts lighting up the field, whereever he is used, a la Davies.

tomásbernal and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wait, whose side are you on? (For reasons that cannot be discussed here) we need Weah lighting up the field further up the field.

Marius Tresor and mschofield repped this.
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good point, and forgot where I was: The French hate him because of our freedoms!

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bring back Freedom Fries!! :sneaky:

mschofield repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes, I did, but pay no attention to that. ;)

I mean, my daughter never does. :speechless:

freisland and mschofield repped this.
  23. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    I don't want to wade too deeply into this. But in the last game, Timmy played really far forward in a position that, on average, was about as much a wing as a wingback. Just maybe hold back on the idea that he's not seen as an attacking player until he's had a string of games where he clearly isn't part of the attack.

mschofield repped this.
  24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In any case, the modern RB or LB isn't a fully Full Back anymore. He's expected to get forward and provide - not just add to - the width in the attack. In some cases - e.g. Guardiola's Man City, they move forward into CM positions.

And a young player with the soccer IQ and the tactical discipline to play multiple positions really well is going to get a lot more suitors than the average and have a much longer career to boot: see Cameron, Geoff.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Glass half-full Back? Or glass half-empty back?