Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Starts!!!

[​IMG]

Lille play @ Reims today at 1:00 PM (eastern).​

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Don't give them ideas!:confused:

3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah with consecutive starts. Nice.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Starts again!!!

[​IMG]

(In midfield this time, I think, with David and Yilmaz in front)​

Pl@ymaker, BostonRed and jnielsen repped this.
  5. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone else noticed how much thicker Weah seems lately? He really looks stronger out there. He has a really nice blend of physical attributes to go along with his technical skills. Amazing that he has no goals this season. Lille fans voicing their displeasure. I wonder where Tim will be playing next year?.?.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goes 90. Provides the game winning cross (not assist based on D header on) for a big win for LOSC. He looked quite good in this one except when taking shots... they always seem to be blocked. Yet another game w/o a goal for Tim... but he was one of their bright spots out there today. Hope he gets more time down the stretch.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Another game, another start, again in midfield. On the plus side, Weah played the full game.

On the negative side, Lille lost 3-0 - all three goals on PKs - and played down a man from 50’ on and down two men from 68’ on. Tough to fight that uphill a battle in any league.

Still, all-in-all a great workout, I’m sure. :thumbsup:

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They had a lot of bad breaks, and I struggled to pay attention to that game while having two screens going - but I think Weah was pretty mediocre out there. Not impressed, though several of his teammates were worse.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

Weah leads the pre-match presser ...

mace, Pl@ymaker and jnielsen repped this.
  10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s on beinSports (yay?)

Winoman repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lille with another awful half. Agree with your comment/question in parentheses... It seems like every time I tune in to watch Weah start for Lille I come away disappointed. He is a frustrating player to watch IMO... it seems like he is so quick and skillful in the midfield but the minute he gets near the 18 it all falls apart. Has two chances in the 1st half... shows great control inside the 18 but his quick shot is woefully tame and directly at the GK. Then towards the halftime whistle he gets a thru ball and appears to be ahead of his defender but elects to cutback and pass to Bamba at the top of the box who has his shot blocked. I think he was far more effective last season when they were playing him at RM in that 4-4-2 formation... It is clear that he is not comfortable crossing with his left foot... so every time he gets behind the D and drives towards goal he cuts the ball back. Very predictable. He is actually playing as a co-striker w/ David so far today. Hardly the worst player out there... but again... nothing to write home about and Lille deserves the boos they got at half. Hopefully they will find a spark in the 2nd.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Weah is a man without ideas.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Besides trying to finish ahead of old rivals Lens (not happening), Lille has nothing to play for this season. And it shows: David out, Weah left there. Losing 1-2 now to Monaco, which is bad news for Nice and Rennes.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I love his speed and technical ability between the boxes but it is hard to sugar coat going an entire season w/o a single goal considering the positions he plays. Commentator mentioned that he dreams of playing for Milan... Doesn't seem at all likely right now. Glad he is getting significant minutes down the stretch but you would think that he would have at least one score just purely by luck by now. Pretty rough.

16. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is scoring for Lille right now. There was a reason he played 90 minutes

17. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I think he’s really poor off the ball when he comes centrally — doesn’t time his runs well at all and is often clogging space or caught standing. Hopefully this gets better as he gets some more experience — definitely holds him back from getting more cheap goals.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    His technical ability is decent but his "soccer IQ" is lacking. Time and again he misses the open man, or fails to make the run. Still, a useful player if the manager dots all the Is and crosses all Ts for him in the locker room.

nycfc919 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    He would be a super star in the MLS

Marius Tresor and Suyuntuy repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Starts again!

[​IMG]

Weah wide left, with David and Yilmaz up top​

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Give him a damn goal!

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    upload_2022-5-14_16-31-37.png

Assists on the equalizer, and David adds another to take the lead over Nice, and potentially cost their old manager a Champions League spot.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Glad he scored and broke his duck.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  24. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014