Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whaa?

dont see it with weah?

nah bro. hes got it...his touch doesnt let him down...hes getting like 10 min sub roles...what do you expect?

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was stretching to a torpedo of a cross & had to take it on the half volley. Could have done better, but it was a 10-15% chancer.

Lille were having trouble creating anything more than half chances in the 15 I watched.

This rap he gets as non-technical or unproductive is hullaballoo. When the sample broadens - 6 goals + assists in 850 pro minutes (as a teen) - he does well. For the senior NT he had 2 in 500 against tough comp (at 17-18), u20 WC 4 in 450. But this season he's played 30 minutes total off a long injury layoff. R-e-l-a-x.

Stretching out the muscle & playing it cautiously is likely why he's playing short stints. So sending him to the reserves for minutes would defeat the purpose.

Deeneaus, Zinkoff, CZM4 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I'm a Weah fan, but I get the skepticism especially post injury. The guy needs to play and he needs to produce. As good as he looked at the U-20 world cup and on his loan spell to Celtic--> he has yet to really show anything at a level that would make me clamor for him to be called up for the full USMNT.

The good news is he's only 20 at a pretty well run club that plays in a league that he should be able to start producing in if he's 60-80% of the player that his biggest fans think he is...

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of concern he won't recover to anywhere near 100%, the skepticism is unreasonable. It's based off a miniscule, skewed sample.

His career sample isn't huge, but it's a lot more than that, at ages where players aren't anywhere near fully developed. And it should invoke more optimism than pessimism, as I displayed.

Deeneaus, Zinkoff, CZM4 and 5 others repped this.
  5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    After a year away, it would be almost criminal to start giving him heavy minutes. Any reasonable coach will break him in carefully. Muscle tears can destroy a career.

Zinkoff, Eleven Bravo, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In the grand scheme of soccer we have no luxury for anyone to not pan out to their maximum potential. So, basically, he needs to as well.

sXeWesley and schrutebuck repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Dest we forget, Lille hosts Nantes today (Friday) at 3:00 PM Eastern.

[​IMG]

freisland repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  9. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  10. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on the main bein sports channel at 3 pm EST for those who have it. Personally I bought the darn package just for Timmy so here's hoping he gets lots of minutes this year

usnroach, sXeWesley, autobus39 and 4 others repped this.
  11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    jonathan david the first sub off, but weah not the first sub on and remains on the bench. david looked very mediocre to poor in what i saw fwiw. way too careless with the ball in his own half and perhaps not thinking the game at this level yet.

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It may be a bit too early to say this, but I wonder if Lille is starting to get concerned that their record signing striker is still scoreless after 5 games.

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    lille as a whole have a case of nagbeitis where some of their attackers look incredible until its time to actually finish the goal

sXeWesley repped this.
  14. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Timmy has averaged 10 mins per game across his three sub appearances.

Which is to say, it's weah past time he see the field in this one.

I'll see myself out.

15. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many subs is the french league going with? Lille has made 3, none being Weah.

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    5 for this season.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's not just that David isn't scoring, but he's looking pedestrian out there. A few more games and it's the bench for him.

And they'll be in trouble, I don't see Weah lighting it up any time soon. And Yilmaz is a 35 year old who's only proved himself in Turkey.

Lille defense is good though. But I don't see them making the Champions, not even the Europa, regardless of the good start.

dougtee repped this.
  18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    very nice turn by burak to win the penalty for lille. they finish it off and are up to 2-0. maybe see some weah garbage minutes now?

19. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Lille are interesting to watch on attack. Quick and creative. Nice in transition. But they were extremely wasteful tonight. They did enough, but they should have put it away much earlier.

20. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    No Weah today. I guess he may have to prove his worth.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wasn't worth his time today ...

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was still on the bench so I’m not too dismayed yet, considering he still has to be returning to form.

Centennial repped this.
  23. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just thrilled he's not injured (again).

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Also, so far he doesn't play (much), we can still keep thinking he's awesome.

Calling BS, Lance90 and LouisZ repped this.