Where should Rolfe go?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    With Dempsey having a thread about him, I think it'd be interesting, and reasonable to have a Rolfe thread. Why? Because he is a better player than Dempsey and it is just a matter of time before he is starting for the USMNT (maybe after the WC, but he might make the bench for it, just like Dempsey) IMO.

So, with my explanation and apology (see below) for starting this thread aside, where do you think Rolfe would fit in best? He's tearing up MLS, and did all last year IMO as well. And if MLS is anything, it's physical. So you could say that Rolfe would probably handle a really physical league like the EPL quite well. But he also has tremendous, well everything. Foot skills, finishing ability, 1v1 moves, passing ability, intelligence (especially picking the ball off defenders and stealing passes). All he lacks is height. He may get knocked around a little bit in MLS, but not enough to neutralize him. He keeps scoring, he keeps creating, and I don't think you can be any more physical than the MLS defenders are against him.

So, EPL is a possibility, though it'd be over a year at least for him to qualify for a work permit, assuming he grabs a forward spot for the USMNT very soon. Holland, I think would be fantastic. I could see him tearing it up at PSV as a withdrawn forward.

I think he'd fit in anywhere because he's been able to fit in at Chicago, where he is completely isolated and is a one man team pretty much offensively IMO.
    I think he'll have his choice of league in all honesty if he keeps up his current form. Ever since he first got playing time with Chicago he's been consistently the best player on the field in all their games. Reminds me a lot of Donovan.

DisclaimerI'm sorry if you think this is too speculative and not-news/analysis based for a thread here, but there is no non-news and analysis forum for YA so it goes here.)

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He wouldn't be a striker in the EPL.

3. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Rolfe should go to Lens.

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Care to elaborate?

Too small? Too slow? Not good enough?

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes to all of the above for now.

Chris's sort of like Gio Rossi, a more withdrawn type.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he needs more time to develop his game in MLS and with the national team. My guess is that he's a couple years away unless he goes to some podunk scandanavian league.

7. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    He could probably cut in the Cola Championship, Scotland (where Reyna played for awhile), Belgium or perhaps the Edervisie. Definately not ready for EPL, Spain or Italy. Botton of French table could also be an option.

8. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

It is true he doesn't like to play with his back to goal, so a withdrawn position in the EPL perhaps?

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if that's the case (and I think you're right) he'd be better off staying in MLS, in my opinion. the money wouldn't be as good but he would be available for many more Nats games. he could build up some caps and some international recognition, making a move to a better league a little more possible.

10. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think the bidding will come down to Barca, Milan, Inter, Real, Bayern, Chelsea and Man United. Pretty sure he'll be taking Sheva's spot at Milan.

11. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    I was hearing whispers of a straight swap with Ronaldinho.

12. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I disagree. Rolfe is what 23? He only has a maximum of 10-12 years of top level soccer left in him. He's not like an Eddie Gaven or a Beasley or Convey who started in MLS young. He needs to make his money now. If he is still making 30K/year (which would be criminal, but is possible), he is getting royally screwed.

He should go to the money now and let his play speak for itself. If he were to go to the CCC, and he was as dominant as he is now in MLS, not only would he be making probably 10x what he makes now (what does he make anyways?), he'd be very visibly in front of the EPL managers. Highlights from his team would be on SkySports. If he is near the top of the league in scoring, he will have many suitors, not just in England, but throughout Europe. The CCC is far better exposure than even the USMNT is, outside of the WC or major friendlies vs. a team like Germany or Italy or England.

I think a move to the CCC would be fantastic for him personally, but I personally would like to see MLS try to hold on to him. I feel he's undervalued in MLS, severely, and as a result MLS probably is not going to hold on to him in the long run. They aren't likely to be willing to splash Donovan or EJ-like cash to keep him, and that's just what they'd need to do if Rolfe actually makes the USMNT WC team and plays as well in the WC as I think he can.

13. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    He should go to New York.

Then, in order to substantiate this quasi-spazish talk about moving to England, he should establish himself as a regular on the national team so that he can secure a work permit (unless he has another way to obtain one that I'm not aware of). At that point, the Championship may beckon...he really seems to have the skill set of a midfielder...perhaps a DeRosario-like position change might be in order first.

Rolfe is a clever little player, but he's 23 with one year of professional experience...he's too old for a project and too raw to be a seasoned pro...kind of the trap that college players get stuck in. Give him some time to round out his game...he's got Josh Wolff-type skills (whom I admire, unlike others), plus he's a natural finisher.

By 2010, he'll be 27 with 5 years as a pro, and I'm sure he'll have a fair amount of international experience. That sounds like an excellent time to make a move an earn some good money. Josh Wolff might have already made this move if not for injury, and he still may this summer.

Until then, I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

14. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Bottom table EPL which is just like the Colaship. I'm sorry guys, I have watched the Colaship and MLS, and many MLS players are way more athletic than the Colaship players.

I'm tired of us going to the EPL, frickin' thugball that it is from mid-table down. But I guess they like us, so there you go.

I'd go to Holland or Belgium or France if I were him to get started. Maybe Rangers or Celtic even.

15. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has the game for La Liga. I think it best fits his style.

16. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    He isnt good enough for the National Team, he's not going to Europe for another 4-5 years.

17. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Eredivisie... All young Americans should go there.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Just a mod note....
    This type of thread really doesn't belong here in YA since it based on nothing other than someone wondering to what Euro league a MLS player could transfer. We're letting it go for now, but speculative threads about futures for players really belongs in the USA Mens or MLS threads.

The Dempsey one probably didn't need to be on YA either, but I don't think anyone expected it to spawn others of a similar type.

If there is a solid link of Rolfe to a foreign team.... that could go here.

19. mellowjohnny

mellowjohnny Member

Nov 4, 2004
    USA
    be careful there tiger woods

20. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    "When asked about his play on the last day at Augusta, Woods replied: "I putted atrociously today. Once I got on the greens, I was a spaz."

In several countries, "spaz" is an offensive term for people affected with spastic paralysis, a form of cerebral palsy."

I hadn't read this until now.

The world needs more people who won't apologize for being non-PC.

I'm one of them. :cool:

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To the gym.

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    To Germany.

23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holland. Something like AZ, NEC, whatever.

24. Yukon Cornelius

Oct 24, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jay Demeritt apparently wasn't "good enough" for MLS, but there's a chance he'll be in the Premiership next year.

Not that I'm making some sort of "x league is z units of quality better than y league" statement - it's just that I think fitting the team and the system plays as big a role in a player's success as "good".

One way or another, I don't think we should be shooing young players out the door just because they're talented. In fact, I think talented soccer players sometimes can be fun to watch live at a local stadium.

25. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay

repped son!