Where MLS stands today

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by bigredmachine, Mar 11, 2013.

1. OK, two weeks into the new season. Too early to tell what's what. Hoping for success in the Concacaf Champions' League. Waiting for WC qualifying. Waiting for Beckham's replacement and Donovan's return. Seeing a Canadian surge.
    But, what's up with the league? I see this year and next as transition years. No expansion, solidify fan bases, and get ready to ride an expected surge of interest from the WC. That said, here's what's crucial, I think.
    Get NY2 going
    Get Atlanta and another SE team (Orlando, Miami)
    Consider two more expansion sites (Minnesota? San Antonio? Vegas? Others?)
    If the league had firm plans in place two years from now for 24 teams, I think the upcoming TV negotiations could skyrocket league revenues. BEIN, ESPN, NBC, Fox and maybe others could get into a bidding war that could put the league on a different level. I think this will happen. I think if it does you will see a salary cap double or triple what we have now and a commensurate improvement in quality of play. As a fan, this year and next will be worrisome until the US qualifies for the WC. There will be negative article written about the league stagnating attendance and viewership wise, but I see 2014-15 as a pivotal point in the future of soccer on this continent.