Where is the Magic? Ajax 2020-21 Season

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a horrible display of defending. Ajax lucky to win this game

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I had a meeting and missed the 2nd half. First half was bad in both passing and defending. Maybe it was because of the screwed up COVID-19 tests.

3. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Honestly... I think Ajax was bad but who cares about style points? This is a just win this one type match. Short rest, travel, COVID, players coming in today. I'll just take the 3 points and move on.

That said-- Promes is finished. He looks so terrible. And I have absolutely no clue why Blind plays MF and Martinez as CB. It leaves the middle of the field wide open.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    aveslacker repped this.
  6. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured someone was going to say that.:cool:

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are you still living outside the US? Kamar Taj is really a nice spot to live.

8. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It was a game to forget. Based on players current form the optimal lineup should be: Onana; Mazraoui, Schuurs, Martinez,Tagliafico; Gravenberch, Klaassen, Ekkelenkamp; Tadic, Traore, Neres. Promes and Antony were exceptionally bad, Blind is out of form.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I finally watched the second half of the game. Good example of catanaccio by EtH's team. I though for a moment I was watching the old Frank de Boer days. I guess the manager figured the weird travel stuff had taken something out of the team and he told them to close the match down. There were a couple of dicey moments but by and large they kept control of the ball and avoided danger. Klaassen continues to impress, Alvarez did just what needed to be done coming on for Schuurs. Blind is still one of the best passers on the team but too slow to be in the MF. Gravenberch had a much better second half. Ahead of Atalanta on goal difference as they got crushed by Liverpool.

10. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man. I've been around a bit since then. Spent a year in Afghanistan and currently living in Africa. Just can't figure out how to change my location on my profile.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's always best to stay off the grid as much as possible. Kamar-Taj is as good a place as any. Give my best to Dr. Strange!

BTV802 and aveslacker repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This was a good win over a team that always causes Ajax trouble in Utrecht. The defense recovered well when they were exposed and it took a while to break the Utrecht defense down. Great splitting run by Neres to open the field up and Klaassen drilled home the match winner in the early part of the second half. Have to give him my MOTM award. I'm glad that EtH is rotating players in and out of the lineup as the fixtures are getting congested with the compressed CL schedule. International break coming up next weekend which will give some of the players some rest.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - Maybe he had a save to make but I can't remember
    Tagliafico (7) - had to do more defending today and was up to the job
    Blind (7) - good passing game again
    Schuurs (7) - lost position one time when he was beaten to the goal line but Utrecht couldn't make anything of it
    Mazraoui (7)- good game and was more involved going forward
    Klaassen (7.5) - had only one poor pass at the beginning and then was a stalwart in the MF
    Gravenberch (7) - put in a solid shift
    Labyad (6.5) - had a wicked shot in the first half that was well saved by the keeper
    Tadic (7) - solid game again from the skipper
    Traore (6.5) - drew a penalty but otherwise didn't have a major impact
    Antony (6) - had a lot of the ball but didn't do much with it
    Neres (7) - on for a solid 2nd half and his run set up the first goal; was solid with the ball the whole half
    Alvarez (6.5) - had a very nice shift coming in for the final 20 minutes
    Promes (6.5) - still can't figure out how he slid the third goal home but it was good to see him have a solid 20 minutes of play
    Klaiber (NR) - on late for a stint against his former club

Home to Heracles in two weeks time before the return CL game against Midjtland in Amsterdam.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Klaassen out injured :(

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A pretty simple win over Heracles with some well taken goals. I hope the players who came off because of injury are all OK. Ajax had to do very little defending as Heracles really did not mount any offensive threats. Onana only had to make a couple of saves off of weak attempts. There were some good moments but Ajax always looked like they were in second gear during large spells of the game. Back to CL action on Wednesday against Midjytland and Ajax need to win that to continue to stay in the hunt for the knockout round.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - had little to do
    Tagliafico (6.5) - was never threatened on defense
    Blind (7) - some good passes and maybe made a couple of clearances
    Schuurs (7) - didn't have to defend and had some very nice moments offensively
    Mazraoui (6.5) - hope he is not badly injured as he only played the first half
    Klaassen (NR) - only saw 20 minutes before coming off with a leg injury
    Gravenberch (6.5) - didn't have a lot of the ball today but was above average in his play
    Labyad (7) - nice goals and some great free kicks that were well saved by the keeper
    Tadich (6.5) - decent enough match
    Traore (7) - wonderful strike for what was the game winner
    Neres (7) - great strike for goal #2
    Ekkelenkamp (6.5) - on for Klaassen and put in a good shift
    Klaiber (6.5) - decent enough subbing for the whole second half at RB
    Promes (5.5) - on for Tadic and had some good touches
    Huntelaar (NR) - on for Traore to finish the match
    Matinez (NR) - on for Blind to finish the match

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Labyad is just not good enough for Ajax.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  16. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wonderful set of misses so far, wow. Traore and Labyad both wasteful with 100÷ chances each and a number of other additional great chances. Ajax has to win this, it's pretty unbelievable how bad the finishing has been in the CL. It already cost Ajax huge against Liverpool.

17. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I know it’s a lesser team but what a display from Schuurs, unbelievable. He seems so calm on the ball. Definitely a great talent.

18. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gravenberch, Neres, and Schuurs were very good in the first half.

Traore and Labyad both just awful once again. I have never understood how Labyad is an Ajax player. Just doesn't have that type of quality. And I know some people have high hopes for Traore but I just don't see it with him. Think he will be a decent player but should never be starting for Ajax in Champions League games

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gravenberch with a beauty!!!

gabrielguilarte and DutchFanatic repped this.
  20. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Gravenberch playing really well

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Liverpool doing us no favors :thumbsdown:

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This game should have been over in the first half. A good save off a Labyad shot and some really poor shooting from Ajax kept it scoreless. It also has to be said that this was one of the worst passing games Ajax have had in a long time. At one point the statistics on the screen indicated they had only completed about 60% of their passes. This is OK against a poor quality team but not against higher competition! Defense did well enough and the conceded penalty is one of those that can go either way. Onana almost had the PK saved. Atalanta kept pace with Ajax by defeating Liverpool 0-2. I hope we are not heading towards a CL group outcome like last season.

Player Ratings:

Onana (7.5) - had some tough saves to make tonight and almost saved the penalty
    Tagliafico (7) - good game going forward and defending
    Blind (7)- defensively sound and had to come off with what looked like a hamstring issue
    Schuurs (7.5) - really solid tonight and passes were solid
    Mazraoui (7) - outstanding run and receipt of the pass from Tadic to score, tough call on the penalty but he did nick the player who went down
    Klaassen (6.5) - worked hard but his passing was not great before coming off in the 2nd half
    Gravenberch (7) - solid game and a wonderful strike of the ball for the first goal, his field awareness is improving each game
    Labyad (7) - solid match but he had a couple of openings that he should have done better
    Tadic (7) - good game from the skipper
    Traore (5.5) - strikers get paid to score and Traore muffed two chances
    Neres (7) - despite being one of those whose passing was poor, he was a constant thread down the right side and his goal was excellent
    Martinez (6) - did well enough coming on for Blind
    Alvarez (6) - put in a nice shift and had some good passes
    Promes (NR)
    Klaiber (NR)
    Ekkelenkamp (NR)

Travel to Anfield next week against an injury riddled Liverpool team who are not guaranteed a way out of the group yet

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It wont matter if we lose against Pool, because if we beat Atalanta at home then we are through

DutchFanatic repped this.
  24. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah it's kind of a pointless round in that sense. So unfortunate Ajax couldn't take points from Liverpool or hold the lead against Atalanta.

With that being said if Ajax beats Liverpool and Atalanta doesn't win too big by Midjsland it would be beneficial - in that case Ajax would only need a draw to go through.

More likely though Ajax will need to win against Atalanta in de Arena.

25. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Brilliant Dutch and Orange14 repped this.