Where is JOB going?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    The season starts in 3 days. Presumably JOB is in LA still, though he could be anywhere.

Anyone know anything at all about which MLS club he is headed to? Did ADO Den Haag decide not to let him go? What is going on with JOB?

The crickets are chirping way too loud and have been for days. We've got to hear some news before the season starts.

2. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to Job you need patience

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Who knows, I am sure Den Haag probably wants to add a stipulation that if MLS gets him, he doesn't just leave after a season and head back to Europe without Den Haag getting a cut in the transfer.

Maybe he has decided to not come and play in MLS.

4. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Truer words have never been spoken.

Even if/when he finds an MLS team, he'll probably be injured and take 7 months to return anyways.

5. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    He is inside a proective plastic bubble, and is awaiting the arrival of the rest of the US team in Germany. Bruce lets him play with a soccer ball for two hours a day, but other than that, he comes into contact with NOTHING. His entire body has been wrapped in an ace bandage, and is constantly sprayed with "magic spray" just in case he finds a way to injure himself.

6. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh heh.

7. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    This is the only time I will ever support the "special player treatment" approach to reffing. As much as Landycakes gets calls just for being Landycakes, I hope JOB gets many more.

Ref: Yellow Card!
    Player: What?! I didn't even touch the guy!
    Ref: But you ran past him...
    Player: So what?! Running by players isn't a foul...
    Ref: You're not allowed to create a breeze around JOB, he may catch a cold or break his leg. Yellow Card! Try it again and you'll get an automatic red!

8. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually picturing something along the lines of the bubble wrap suits from "Dude Where's My Car?"

9. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    What makes makes you think Ado Den Haag has any say in the matter? They are not in MLS and don't have any rights to him after his contract expires after this season. They also have said that they won't sign him to another contract. Therefore, it is very likely that they will release him so that they don't have to pay is salary for the last month. Also, MLS is not going to pay a fee or give any concessions when they could get him for free in a month.

If JOB goes back to Europe after the world cup, Den Haag will get nothing.

10. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think you answered your question for yourself.

11. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    His contract expires in a month. MLS will be able to get him for free in a month. There not going to give Den Haag anything. Think about it.

12. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Are we 100% sure JOB's Den Haag contract is up in May? Could it go until the end of the summer? June? Could ADO play hardball and refuse to let him go until his contract is completely up if MLS doesn't pay up?

I seem to remember it ending at the end of this season, but whether that is May or later who knows. And will MLS be able to get him if another Dutch team offers more? How much will MLS pay for JOB...clearly they don't want to pay market value for him (whatever that is), they want him now when he's injured and ADO doesn't want him.

This deal is now or possibly never IMO.

13. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    ... depends if he's a sheep or a goat.

14. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    According to the original yanks abroad article is contract is done at the end of the season. Den Haag also states that they will not offer another contract. JOB's agent also says the Den Haag is being very cooperative.

I don't know the specifics of player contracts as to weither it expires at the end of the season or the begining of the transer perod. I would guess at the end of the season because there is no reason to keep the player around for two months for nothing. It also doesn't matter if both sides want out of the contract. They could just cancel it.

Could another team buy JOB's current contract? Yes, but why would they want too. It will expire in a month, and they would have to sign him to a new contract. If another team wants him they will negotiate directly with JOB. However, this will not help him get on the WC squad which I think is his goal.

Though he is still technically under contract, he is basically free due to the situation.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do?

We still don't have the slightest clue what two of the league's uniforms will look like. Apparently Houston's going to unveil them tomorrow, while the Red Bulls will unveil them when they take the field for the first time.

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    No, we don't HAVE TO hear news before the season starts. It's a 6 month long season, and if he missses the first game (or two) of the season, it's not the end of the world.

17. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    15 responses and no one said "to hospital"?

I'm disappointed

18. Diakonov

Diakonov Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to hospital.

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    back to Africa

20. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

That's racist!!

21. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

Except that the major reason he's coming back to MLS is to get games in ahead of the World Cup. Missing a game or two out of a projected 5 or 6 before US camp opens could hurt his hopes.

There's a cart-horse, chicken-egg analogy in here somewhere.

22. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. It surprises me greatly that we haven't seen a signing with O'Brien yet. That implies to me that there is some sticking point: that suddenly Den Haag is deciding out of spite to demand a transfer fee, or perhaps JOB is asking for more money than MLS is willing to pay or he can't pass a physical yet.

2. There was an online chat with Steve Goff on Wednesday (you can see the transcript at the W.Post website). In it he's asked about who does and doesn't make the US WC team.

Goff indicated that he didn't think JOB would be chosen for the team. Now, obviously a lot can change between now and then. But Goff has some very good connections--this is a guy who usually releases the USNT camp rosters before USSF publishes them. If he says that he doesn't think JOB is likely to go to the WC, that's not his speculation (you can see in the transcript or in previous ones that on really speculative stuff he'll give a throw-away line like "that's one person's view" or "could go either way" or "good point" or "who knows?").

I'm wondering if JOB is indeed healthy and just how out-of-form he is? Clearly he's not in-form at present: he's played a handful of games in 3 years.

On a larger issue, with JOB possibly not on the WC side, Reyna going through an extended period with no playing, DMB on the bench, McBride possibly requiring surgery...it sure looks like a lot of critical pieces to the puzzle may be out-of-form come WC time (shudder).

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr. Bee again."

24. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got him.

25. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect the sticking point is more along the lines of John wants to play for Team-X or y, or z, but those teams are already maxed out, and cannot afford to dump a salary for a guy who may or may not maintain health.