Where in the World? Lost, Season 3, Part 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think locke lives. they've been making such a big deal of how he's special and how the island does things to him that it doesn't do to others.
    was ben trying to kill locke or more just see how powerful he is in connection with the island? if locke dies, ben knows he wan't the one. if he lives, well he gets his answers there too.

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Locke dies he has been a major part of the show so maybe Jacob helps him
    And then he will have to help Jacob

Really interested how the camp handle Jack

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Except for the fact that the actor who played Eko wanted to only be on the show for a short amount of time.

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Didn't help that he got arrested either, no?

I liked Eko, but I think he was in the show to be Anna Lucia's muscle and to enable the "Man of Faith, Man of Science" episode.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was determined before that mishap. I don't think his legal snafu was anything big, either.

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    If Locke was going to die Ben would have explicitly killed him. He's fine. He's already hunting polar bears while he finds his way back to camp.

What struck me from that episode was the ghostly sighting of Ben's mother and Young Richard's reaction to Ben telling him about the sighting. I'm thinking that the (new) original inhabitants, the ones who exterminated the Dharma workers, were aware of a presence on the island - the smoke monster, the island's properties, maybe Jacob is a manifestation. However, none of them can interact or communicate with it, so when Young Richard finds that Young Ben saw a ghost outside the fence, he realises that he is The One (or at least someone very special). That explains how Ben rises to become their leader despite not being one of them originally. It also explains why they all regard Locke as special, since he seems to be able to interact with it as well - and why Ben shot him when he proved that he could in fact see/hear Jacob. Alpha Male competition, and so on - remember that none of the rest of the Others can see Jacob.

I think it all fits quite well. I still need to find a satisfactory slot for Jacob - right now I'm thinking that he was the original leader of Young Richard's group, making Young Ben another 'communicator', and for whatever reason he was deposed. Ben still has power over him through whatever means he overpowered him by in the first place (and the sand circle), but a very tenuous power. And Jacob clearly doesn't like Ben.

On another note, it does piss me off that they've created a new bunch of 'natives' whose presence needs to be explained all over again. That's right back to season one.

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a theory, Ben is responsible for the women not being able to carry pregancies beyond seven months. Ben is able to manifest and create things out of thin air. Remember how Ben's mom died in labor in the seventh month. Strange coincidence or Ben's overt or subconscious wish manifest in the physical form to punish anyone that would be envious of.

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Survivors of the Black Rock, perhaps?

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly appears that way to me. Perhaps the island is able to prolong life similar to Shangri La.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    But it needs an influx of newbies from time to time because of the prenancy thing.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I noted in an earlier post above, I think that Ben might be responsible for it.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Locke's healing powers on the island can overcome irreversible paralysis due to a fall from a 10+ story window, he's not going to be fallen by something as trivial as a single bullet wound to the abdomen. And Ben knows this. If Ben wanted him dead he'd have put a 2nd bullet in Locke's brain.

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    True. It's probably a win-win for Ben. If Locke is one of the elect then he'll recover, but Ben has shown he won't be screwed with. And if Locke is not one of the chosen, then he'll die and no loss.

Yep, that's very possible but regardless where the 'newbies' come from, newbies must replenish the stock every so often.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This means the Russo is one of the "Hostiles." I'm going to be interested in that relationship.

Okay, so how did the other hatches get built - and when?

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a good theory but where do Hurley, Jack, Kate, Eko and all the others who saw stuff on the island fit in? hurley saw his imaginary buddy and that could be his mental illness again but he seems like he's overcome that. Jack did interact with this father, Kate saw the horse, Eko saw his brother (smokey, we guess) ... but a lot of people have seen things.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting, but that would make them over 100 years old (didn't they say the dynamite was that old or something). and if all the dharma people were killed but ben ... then who drove the submarine and ran all the communication equipment? turn of the century castaways wouldn't know what to do with that and yes, maybe Ben knew how to run a submarine and communication equipment/sattelites ... but we WAS just a janitor. plus when that guy was there recruiting Juliette in portland he seemed pretty smooth so he must have got acclimated to the 21st century in a hurry. was ethan among the hostiles? because he seemed up to date on modern medicine (at least in the flashbacks ... IIRC and I probably don't).

you know it could be right but as with everything with Lost there's so many questions that it's impossible to know if up is up or up is actually down.

but I like the theory.

17. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I'd forgotten about that, thanks. Refresh my memory - it was a 17th/18th century trading ship, oui?

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    It's a late 19th century (post-Civil War) slave ship.

19. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Dammit, Ringo, let me have my moment!

That is a problem with the theory alright. Eko I would have put down as another potential 'communicator', but I can't account for the rest of them.

I have a feeling the killing-father-figures motif might come to a head soon - Ben (father), Kate (stepfather), Locke (father, via Sawyer), Sawyer (the man he based his adult life on), Jack (indirectly drove his father to an alcoholic death & feels responsible), Eko (his brother & moral compass, indirectly) have all had their flashbacks along that theme. We know Hurley has no respect for his father - perhaps a later flashback will show him being in some way responsible for his death. It's just gotten very very obvious over the past few episodes, like they're building up to something.

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it's a very good theory. I'm just wondering how all the pieces fit together.
    :)

21. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC

we'll find out in three years....maybe.

22. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Definitely a chance of that. It seems too much of a coincidence that Ben's mom died during childbirth doesn't it?

23. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.... lots of just plain ol' issues with fathers too. Jin, embarrassed of his father.... Claire, same father as Jack... Sun, tough mafia father... Desmond - made to feel like crap by Penelope's father... and a monk brother who could have been called father.

24. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost as if John Irving is on the writing staff of this show.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States