Where in the world is Marco Etcheverry?

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by Knave, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So apparently he showed up to DC United's practice yesterday.

What else is he up to? I'm kind of wondering if he isn't looking to coach somewhere.

Anyone know?

2. DCUtd4Life

DCUtd4Life New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Maybe he's looking for a job on the coaching staff?

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Marco's been travelling between here and Bolivia. He spent some time at the Taiuchi Academy helping his brother out. He still owns his home here.

4. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    We should suit Marco up for the Catolica series, just to remind those Catolica punks who their daddy is...I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to scare them silly.

5. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    A little FYI/ Marco sighting:

Sunday, September 4, Marco Etcheverry played in an exhibition game at Wakefield HS in Arlington between "the Bolivian WC '94" team and an "all-star" team from the Bolivian League's Senior Clubs.

I was a bit out of it as I drove all-night from Columbus, Ohio to take my buddy to his soccer game (a scheduled "all-star" game between the Bolivian League of Arlington and the Central American League that plays in Manassas). This game was to be played before Marco's game.

During that "game" (did I really drive all night for that?), Marco entered the stadium and was subsequently mobbed by many Bolivians seeking autographs and photos. He obliged everyone. Pure class.

While he walked past the bleachers, he saw me decked out in my USMNT gear (I didn't have any time to shower or change since the US-MEX game the night before). He stopped, introduced himself to me, shook my hand, and congratulated me for US qualifying. In my lack-of-sleep stupor, I could only stammer 'thank you' while more youngsters mobbed him for autographs.

The irony is that I missed my friend's goal when Marco was talking to me.

6. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    WOW! what a story. what was att. for the double header?

7. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    You know it's really hard to judge attendence because virtually no one was sitting in the bleachers. (It was freakin' hot.) However, there were scores sitting in the shade all around the bleachers. Also, scheduling was moronic as the annual Bolivian festival was going on simultaneously--in Manassas.

I was told Jaime Moreno was also there and that he played. I still have a hard time believing that. I know I was out of it--but I'm sure I would have recognized him. Supposedly there are pictures. I left before the first half because I was just freakin' exhausted and the game started like 90 minutes late.

It's possible that Jaime was there--I remembe a bunch of kids yelling "Jaime's here!" But I have a hard time believing he played. Plus didn't they just play in Colorado the night before.

Another '94 Bolivian player also introduced himself to me, but I have no clue who he is. He's quite tall, fair-skinned, balding, around 40.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds like Marco Sandy. He has a house in Bristow, VA.

9. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Yup, it was him.

10. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    During a radio interview about 2-3 weeks ago Marco claimed that Bruce made him a very interesting offer that he was considered, but gave no further details. We all know how much Bruce loved Marco, maybe a spot as an assistant coach with the USMNT?

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    There's absolutely no truth to the rumor that Clavijo has him at the Rapids for a tryout.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Interesting stuff from Marco

Oveki8, Winoman and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolivianfuego, NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this posted on US Men N&A:

Funkfoot and fatbastard repped this.