Where have all the Adu fan boys gone?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by benni..., Jul 2, 2005.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well thats better. Atleast where back on track.

So what are you saying that bad coaches has done him wrong?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't go that far. I suspect that Sigi Schmid isn't exactly a gifted offensive coach and that he managed to turn his attacking oriented players into less than the sum of the parts.

3. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He's carrying too much weight. When Pele or Maradona were coming up, was anybody comparing them to some other great. HE'S ONLY 16!!! People need to back off and let him develop. He's got real potential. I would hate to see stifled by our mentality of what have you done for me lately.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    actually, adu is coming along nicely....

and when he's eligible for euro land, some big club will give him more money than he'll need his entire life...

5. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC
    To improve he needs to be put in one position and play every game. But which position and is he better than the current players in that position on United?
    If you put him as a mid he is not better than Gomez, so Gomez won't be sitting.
    He is certainly not better than Moreno. So that leaves the 2nd forward position, which I think definitely is his better position than being in the midfield. Now that Esky is out for a while and Quaranta is on the Gold Cup squad we might get to see him start up top.

What he needs the most is consistency. Even playing a whole reserve game would be better than if he just came in for the last 15 minutes of a regular game.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    If this is true then Adu will not improve much by playing in the MLS.

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can he not sign a contract of intent for the next European season?

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think after next year MLS will cease to help his development. He is under the special tutelage of Peter Nowak at this time. What he is learning now in MLS will transcend any league.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What he said.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    SO a league where he has limited appearances, barely gets playing time, has little impact on DC's play positively, is not good enough for him. I think he has to prove himself in MLS first(which he hasnt done) before moving on.

11. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    See, I disagree with this completely. This is not AT ALL the same tournament. U-20 is a MUCH tougher level than U-17. (Consider how few of the U-17s make it as pros compared to the number of U-20s that do.) On top of that he's younger relative to the max age than he was two years ago.

I thought that frustration and unfamiliarity with his role made him try things that he shouldn't have tried, like the extra stepover move, etc. He still showed a willingness to take on opponents and make passes to space. Don't forget that he earned 2 PKs for the team, while most of his teammates did very little, esp. the much-vaunted Gaven who played like he was on morphine.

I was hoping to see a more mature player playing within a team system, but did not. Upon reflection, that hope might have been unrealistic.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good point here. And I certainly hope that Freddy himself doesn't think he's soon to "outgrow" the league. I seem to remember a former DC United player who felt he needed the "challenge" of playing in Europe despite not living up to the "challenge" of proving himself in MLS...said player now fighting to make the bench of a Coca-Cola League team.

13. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Well you also have Ronaldinho who "outgrew" PSG even though he wasnt a huge scorer there & he wins world player of the year. You also have Diego Forlan who "outgrew" Man U & won the Goal scoring title in Spain

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Freddy started 4 games in the 2003 U20 World Youth Championships.

:)

15. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    I think I speak for most folks when I say "Man, I'm glad aartef got red-carded."

16. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    OK, I'll shut up now. :)

(I was actually referring to the U-17 tournament.)

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I know. I think you forgot that Freddy played in two youth worlds in 2003, first the U17 and then as a last-moment selection for the U20 squad.

18. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Age. I blame it on age. It makes you lose track of things and, er, something...

wait, it's right on the tip of my tongue...

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Age must bring some sort of wisdom, though -- how do you get 5 of those little green rep things with only 221 posts? Don't think I've ever seen that before. Are you hacking the system? Have influential friends? Sell your body for rep?

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If Freddy leaves MLS without proving himself, somethings wrong.

21. biglove

biglove New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    berkeley, ca
    freddy's not african... he's an AMERICAN.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    even a keen soccer eye like alexi lalas realizes what freddy can do for a team...

just kidding folks, don't want lalas to get into any more hot water with tampering charges coming soon

23. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    :)

If I were to put my body on sale for rep I'd be solidly in the red, I'm afraid.

Must be my seemingly endless supply of wit and charm...

24. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    I thought Freddy played well against Kansas City. He had some amazing plays and then some bad giveaways, but overall he played very well. I think he was DC's best player. Nana Kuffour was very good as well.

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Considering half of there starters were out yea. I expect him to be the best on the field.