Where have all the Adu fan boys gone?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by benni..., Jul 2, 2005.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There were a lot of them before the WYC, now i havent seen one at all.
    Serious question.

Now the real question is what does Freddy need to work on, for him to have better play than he did at the WYC?

2. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Right here. Just trying to give the guy some space to play with DC United and round back into club form.

As far as things to work on...I'm no expert but based on what I've seen I'd say...

-Continue to develop overall strength. Of course, he's only 16 so he has a ways to go before he peaks from a strength point of view.

- It'd probably also help if he'd get to play his best positions more often than not (as opposed to being stuck out on a wing).

- Keep improving that in-game vision. Freddy has made some outstanding plays for DC United in his limited time so far this year, so that tells me he really is on his way to becoming an all-around team player.

- Considering his position/tactical responsibilities in the WYC, I don't think people should read as much into his WYC performance as they are. It was a really weird role to see Freddy play. He would have been better off playing up top with Barrett or Ochoa or as a central attacker with Gaven flanking him on the right.

I seem to be in a pretty large minority when I claim that Gaven and Adu each only had one bad overall game. Gaven's was Argentina and Freddy's was Italy. Again, just my opinion.

3. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I just think he is being more conservative than usual. The game against Columbus tonight, he did nothing. No runs, no set ups, no nothing. Just passing the ball, not really doing what made everyone call him the Next Pele (even though thats Ridiculous)

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whomever coined Adu the "next Pele" should be dragged out onto the street, tarred and feathered.

The Columbus match yesterday was an anomaly. Nowak played 1 holding midfielder. And Gomez and Moreno already combine well so the one who would be making runs is Gomez. They mainly tried to hold the ball and no be countered, he was subbed out because Columbus began to counter through the middle of the field and push DC back.

5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Superdave, why not explain here. Since you like giving bad rep. Freddy didnt play well. I have as much a right to critisize as you do to praise him. Im tired of people brining up age as an excuse.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You started a completely pointless and useless thread. You should be carded, IMO. A little neg rep surely doesn't bother you much by now. I could give two craps where anyone stands on the Adu issue. But either way, it does not warrant totally bullsh!t, trolling threads like this one.

Where the hell is a mod to bin this crap? Start policing the forums for cripes sake.

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What is trolling?

We will see. If the mod locks it then fine. But if they dont then i keep going.

8. johnnygol

johnnygol New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    He is not a midfielder. Freddy makes the difference playing up taking 1v1 and counter attacking, obviously Sigi and Novak can't see that. Adu has the characteristics of a player like Robinho (keeping the distances) is idiotic to think that he can defend and attack. The more close or inside the box he plays the more chance of a dangerous free kick or penalty he can create. I hope he can leave soon and have a real coach.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I agree with some of the Johnnygol. I dont like seeing him so deep. But then again, he still isnt being that creative, flair that all number 10's are. He is scared of taking risk or something. Im not sure what has happend. Maybe he is just growing up. Ill check back when he is 18.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thanks for the rep and the insult. I didnt realise that you own this place

*takes a step off the carpet*

11. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    What does Freddy need? Maybe, just maybe, all he needs is time, and the true confidence, composure, and knowledge that comes with added maturity and experience.

(By "true" confidence with respect to Freddy, btw, I mean the natural confidence that comes from knowing you can consistently have your way with the caliber of player you're playing against, because you've had meaningful and repeated success versus players of the same or higher caliber; and not simply, for example, the audacity to try any trick at any time because you think you can pull it off, or the willingness to take on 3 defenders because you've done it a time or two in a sub role in MLS.)

Messi, for example, is 2 years older than Freddy. He's able to impose his will on a game because he's uber talented, but also because he knows exactly what to do and he knows it will probably work. I'm not sure Freddy always knows what he ought to be doing at any given moment. He seems to have what it takes to do just about anything: the technical skills he's renowned for, amazing vision, pace, etc. (Well, he could get a little stronger, of course. But maybe that will come in time too.) And when he does the right thing at the right time he's great.

He just seems a little lost at times, to me. Maybe 2 years from now he'll be able to parlay his skills into the same sort of effective, dominant performance Messi just had during this tournament.

(Btw, anyone know what Messi looked like 2 years ago? I'm guessing - and it's just that, a flat out guess - that he showed flashes of technical brilliance, like Freddy, but also looked a little out of sorts at times, unable to parlay his skills into truly consistent, dangerous, and effective play versus the kind of players at this year's WYC.)

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Please ignore this thread, Mods lock this Thread.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a good premise, and very current in its perspective, based on your opening post and a few that have followed, but as you wish.

If anyone wishes to see the thread unlocked, PM me and let me know; I might open it via popular demand (amid all the other Adu-related threads on this site's archives).

Thread closed (for now?).

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-opening this thread, due to the demand received in my PM's this morning.

As such, I don't see it as a trolling effort whatsoever, although there are already a gazillion other Adu threads on this site already. Kudos to the thread starter for putting a current spin on it.

That's a very fair question, and let's keep the discussion on this topic.

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    WTF is wrong with the thread? The starter has a valid question.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I haven't responded to an Adu thread in ages, so let me just say parking this kid's rump on the bench last year was a crime against nature--not to mention a crime against the fans (but that's another story). You want to know how he can come into his own? By putting him out there and letting him run riot. Let the veterans adjust to him! Don't stifle whatever gift he has by slotting him into some "system" you think is more important than he is. The goddamn soccer-as-chess mentality. No wonder the kid doesn't know whether he's coming or going.

18. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ESPN Television
    ESPN Plaza
    Bristol, CT 06010

I don't know who said it first but lets just blame these guys. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

19. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While I am "partially inclined to agree" I can see this being a positive thing. If Freddy has to bust his ass to earn his minutes, even if it is unfair at times it will only make him a better player. This whole process should help to keep him grounded a little bit, if he really is going to be "americas first footballing icon" or something it would be a damned shame to see him turn into a George Best.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think he really IS just too young. Give him time to grow and develop in size and Stature. Ive noticed that when he is on the ball, he gets stuffed, or Caught in possesion when taller defenders go to ground. Most of the time Defenders get the ball and not him, because he just cant fight off tackles as much. I think thats part of him growing up. He will be ok though, Id say he is right on track.

21. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Watching over the past 3 years, Freddy seems to have learned more and more tactical awareness. i absolutely LOVE the kid, but it seems he is more technical than tactical. Watching his DC play... last year he never made it to any of the spots. This year he is getting to the spots, but late, or early, or at the wrong angle, or with the wrong pace.

It seems his world has been opened up to tactical ideas and applications - a whole new box of skills and techniques that he was never made aware of before. Hopefully he takes to these, which it seems like he is. I still fully expect him to become a world player of the year.

By the way, what made Pele arguably the best player ever is not that he played for Brazil and won a WC at 17. That only makes a difference because he was not considered to play in a top league. Pele's distinction comes from winning so many World Cups and being the best player in the best team ever (1970 Brazil). Maradona however, didn't make his reputation so much by winning so many WCs, but from taking a lowly side in the world's best league and transforming it into the powerhouse. So there are many roads to the super top.

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Which road is Freddy going to take?

23. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    LOL :)

dunno, probably neither. Seems there's a different road for everybody, then every guy that follows that path is secondary to him. Noone can EXPECT Freddy to become the next Pele or Maradona. Noone expected Pele or Maradona to become Pele or Maradona. However, if his nerve holds up I do expect Freddy to reach the world's elite though. A potential world player of the year.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think so also, if he just concentrates and keeps his feet on the ground.

25. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Freddy needs to improve on/continued........

1. Growing physically - keep working out, the rest will come natural
    2. Learning from Nowak and the other DCU players
    3. work on his right foot to be more ambidextrous
    4. Keep on getting solid MLS minutes and taking the most of each opportunity to play.
    5. Don't get frustrated.
    6. Continue work on penalties. Just because you missed two doesn't mean your not a great penalty taker.

Freddy will come along with time. I am not worried.