Where have all of the SOB's gone?

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by aztec21bas, Oct 2, 2012.

1. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can it be that the last post in this forum was almost a month ago? Nobody posts here anymore. The tailgates have stopped happening on a regular basis. The River End has been exceptionally quiet lately, with only a few die hards who chant throughout the game. The old guard has sorta stepped back. Did I miss the END?

It seems like it was yesterday that we were at pep rallies in Philadelphia, ground breakings in Chester, and marching from McGillin's to cheer the selection of Danny Mwanga, while dodging donuts being thrown by Red Bull supporters.

2. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the way the season has come off the rails has kind of hurt the momentum from last year. The people that brought it from day 1 still do, but I have noticed alot of new faces this year in the RE every week in areas that usually had the same people last year.

As for the tailgates I still think the reason they stopped being huge was the removal of the beer which is kinda lame, bring a cooler and what you want and drink it. No waiting in a line in the keg tent.

I don't think we are near the end I just think this season has really gutted the fanbase.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you say "Faithful 'til the All Star Game" in Latin? ;)

cwelch999 and aztec21bas repped this.
  4. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Join and Die.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invite a Pirate.

Doop, KensingtonSC and Phillyspur repped this.
  6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young girls have picked them every one.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Oh when will they ever learn.

DoctorD repped this.
  8. metsox

metsox Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Agreeing. Tailgate attendance with a big dropoff even before the team started to suck. Def had to do with the lack of beer. Wish the elders would fight to bring that back. I've still been going to every one that I can make, but there's just not the community anymore.

9. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It is a HUGE LCB issue, and we will probably never get it back. The tailgates were 3 hours long, if you wanted to have 2-3 cups of beer an hour during the tailgate by the end of the game you would still be above the legal limit. All we would need is someone to leave the parking lot and get into an accident and the SOB would be nailed to a wall over serving of said alcohol.

I think they need to change up the menu more every game, which would be a huge under-taking but would make things more intersting. But with that being said I prefer to bring my own beer and buy the pass.

10. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people really need alcohol that badly in order to enjoy a sporting event?

11. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately.... A lot of them do.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  12. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was more to do with moving from Teber. It was nice to have a secluded open area for everyone to congregate. Now being in the middle of the parking lots, its easy to just set up by your car, go grab some food, and go back. Sure not having the beer doesn't hurt, but we didn't have it much last year and it wasn't an issue.

13. Husher315

Husher315 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Narberth
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you seriously want to know where all of us SoB's went? AWAY from Big Soccer. We have our own private message boards now because Big Soccer kinda sucks. It's SoB paying members only, making way for the trolls and haters on this site.

Also, tailgates cost a lot of money to put up every week and we put up A LOT of tailgates with all the games that were played in July. Has nothing to do with beer being gone. We had beer there this past Saturday.

Finally, I'm in the River End EVERY week and we are still plenty loud thank you. So please kindly, screw off.

hykos1045 and unholyunion repped this.
  14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it. It was my #1 recommendation since shortly after SoB was founded. Glad to hear it's finally been implemented.

15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, trolls and haters, glad we're all on the same team...

BuddhaWake, Doop and KensingtonSC repped this.
  16. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

there is about 1 post every 2 weeks. its barely used

Doop, SmashtheVan and aztec21bas repped this.
  17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More frequent than BigSoccer's being used for the group. :coffee:

Doop and aztec21bas repped this.
  18. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There is an issue and anyone who doesn't think so has a major issue; you can't even give your tickets away these days.

But is all comes down to basics and that is performance on the field. Think management gets the message otherwise there would not be any emails from the coach, players calling us, players meeting us at the gates, etc. However, some quality players need to be signed to be a serious team that can easily get into the play-offs next year. Only this will pack the stadium again and get the SOB's to sign at their top of their voices.

Hope the last SOB tailgate this year will beat last year's (that had tons of beer, a band, and took place at Teber) but I doubt it will...

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players called STHs last season around the same time as well. That wasn't an act of desperation to get people to renew, since technically one could say the team was performing better.

I think this thread is more about where the SoBs have gone from this site, the same one where it was founded, incubated, and born, not so much where they are on gameday.

20. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dills, it is all interlinked. The SOB forum is lame (not much discussion there). The SOB 'sizzle' has just disappeared as the weak performances on the field prolonged. The Union has to get their act together if they want the whole river end to rock again (then the forums will light up again too).

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ad Finem Fidelis ... unless you're only there for the cheaper ticket price.

Doop and jess370 repped this.
  22. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Come on Dills, alot of the SOBs just left the site all together because of rampant douchebaggery, and everyone knows it. They are still all on facebook and twitter but BS is becoming just too much most of the time.

Husher315 repped this.
  23. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, you can most definitely include me with "everyone". Things have changed big time in my six (?!) years since joining BigSoccer.

Doop and billf repped this.
  24. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree, the SOB's that left this site were guilty of rampant douchebaggery. I knew things were a little better around here, now I know why.

aztec21bas repped this.
  25. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well billf, not all of them. There were quite a few going way back, that were good guys and no longer post here. Most of the people I am thinking of were among the founding members of SOB. Almost all of them were/are good guys. The ones that are internet tough guys, make threats, and disparage others for their opinion... well they are not missed at all.

For what it is worth, I have been a SOB since long before there was a Union to root for. I do not stand in TRE, nor do I go to tailgates all that often. I do enjoy roadtrips! However, I, like many of the others have made a choice to step back a bit from SOB. I know what my reasons are, just curious as to why some of the other folks have as well.