Where does Keller rate

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by art, Oct 16, 2011.

1. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally I wouldn't start one of these types of threads but now that Kasey Keller, long one of my personal favorite players (even though he plays for Shittle), is on the homestretch of his career it's worth considering where he stands all time among Yank keepers, not just for the USA but at club level as well

For me, these are the best American goalkeepers of all time, in a non-objective list:
    1. Keller
    2. Friedel
    3. Howard
    4. Meola
    5. Hartman

(que the Friedel acolytes:))

2. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really do think Friedel is a better keeper than Keller. I think Friedel has had a more successful career and is still playing at an incredibly high level.

I personally would go

1. Friedel
    2. Howard
    3. Keller

This isn't to say Keller isn't and wasn't a great goalkeeper. He's had a very successful career.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel
    Keller
    *Howard - will end up ahead of Keller before it's all said and done.

4. Swazicar

Swazicar Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Portland, Ore.
    Not that it's all on Keller, but exactly how many World Cup games did he win?

For me, he's below Friedel and Howard, but that's not a knock.

5. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can make an argument that Friedel's above Keller. Partly because Keller never won a WC match and Friedel led a team to the quarters. And mostly because Friedel's still playing for a (almost) top level team in a year when Keller's going to retire.

But there's NO WAY WHATSOEVER that Howard is above Keller. Never heard Kasey through a little crybaby temper tantrum after getting his butt kicked like Timmy against Mexico. Howard may pass Keller in time, but no way is he there now.

6. EMc8791

EMc8791 New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel. Howard. Keller.

Howard could probably take a starting goalie spot from almost any goalie in England right now (maybe not Reina or Cech, certainly De Gea and probably Szczesney). I don't think Keller, even in his best day, could have been a starting keeper for a top 5 club, he's always been that great goalie on mid level teams. Howard's already played at United, helped them Finish top 3, held 2 draws against one of the best premier league sides we've seen, won PFA Goalie/Team of the Year, and an FA Cup. Granted his next 2 years there were bad, he moved onto Everton and almost won another FA Cup with them, and helped them beat United in the Semis in Penalties. One Gold Cup with the US and a huge reason we made it far in the 09 Gold Cup. And a huge part to us making it out of groups in the World Cup. He's one of the best distributor of the ball with his punts and throws, and that's just fact.

Now on to Kasey Keller. 3 Gold Cups, Mid table finishes in top flight... If Friedel didn't retire before the 06 World Cup, he definitely would have started keeper and MAYBE gotten us out of groups, then again we couldn't score that WC.

@Saabarian he had a really good point. It was won in the US, and was said in all Spanish, had it been in Mexico, we all know for a fact it would have been done if Spanish if the US won. And he wasn't the only person who spoken out about it.

Keller is (and I'll say it again) a great mid-table keeper. Sure he's probably the best keeper in the MLS right now, but I wouldn't say many of the keepers we have are Class players.

To the point. If I had a choice of Howard or Keller in his prime, it's Howard hands down.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel was a very, very narrow choice over Keller in 2002. Although I do think he's had a better career than Keller, I don't think he would have been a automatic starter in 2006. Keller was great in qualifiers leading up to 2006.

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I dont think any of that is on any GK unless they were playing poorly, and were a direct cause of any tournament performance.

This can be said for any team sport. I mean you can have an average GK on a worldcup winning team, that doessnt really do much. Is he better than the GK whose team didnt make it out of the 1st round, yet made a bunch of incredible saves?, etc.

I just dont like that arguement I hear from people, b/c it doesnt take into context any of the surrounding factors.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What the hell: given the forum we're in, I'll go with

1) Messing.
    2) Keller
    3) Friedel
    4) Howard
    5) Meola
    5) Mayer
    7) Mausser

10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I knew Shep was a GK, but had no idea he played for the US, or was that good.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Except for that cross that he palmed into his own net in T&T...

12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a member of the U.S. team at the 1972 Olympics, and played one of the United States' three games there. However, he was never capped by the full U.S. national team. During his six NASL seasons, the first choice goalkeeper for the United States usually was either Bob Rigby or Arnie Mausser.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps Romario could be asked one day for his opinion on how Keller ranks in USA goalies history.
    Friedel stopped two PK's in Japorea '02 iirc n was a much better ball distributor so he tops my list but Keller is indeed # 2.
    Howard has a solid mix of both of 'em so as some have already mentioned he might surpass them both to finish on top. He appears to be the best react n recover goalie on the planet right now.

14. davy watts

davy watts New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

Romario was quoted as saying that Keller's performance that night was the best goalkeeping he had ever faced in his entire career!!

Also liked the previous poster's Shep's mentioning.
    During the 70's the NASL was not required to release players for international duties, so the men's national team really suffered during those years.

15. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But most of the players who appeared in the men's national team during the '70s were NASL players.

16. davy watts

davy watts New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

True that, but many of them played for the USMNT only when there was either a break in the schedule, or in the offseason. Any conflict, the NASL usually won out.

17. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but I still think it's an exaggeration to say that the USMNT "really suffered" because of the NASL. The NASL season usually only lasted from about April 1 to Sept. 1. Most national team games were played during that seven-month offseason, including 17 of the 21 World Cup qualifiers that the U.S. played during the NASL years. There weren't a lot of conflicts.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Meola was a great goalkeeper but was he ever considered "world class" like how Howard Friedel and Keller have been called. I feel he has the Tab Ramos affect in that he was a great player who never was given the chance to show his true potential or played at the wrong time.

How does Hahnemann not make this list. He was third choice behind Friedel, Keller, and then Howard and still had a decent club career.

19. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kasey Keller had more caps, more shutouts and a better winning percentage than Friedel, and was first choice more often with the national team. i looked for their win records but can't find them. ussoccer bios are down for some reason. but i remember wondering back in the 90's and early 00's why it was that Keller had such a better record than Friedel when they're both such outstanding 'keepers, and the only thing i could come up with was 'maybe Keller's a better leader'. but it really wasn't until 2002 that Friedel equaled (or maybe surpassed) Keller. and then he retired from the national team.
    also, Keller was the first to play in Europe and was the pioneer that Friedel followed. all this and the Romario quote i think make Keller #1. Howard is a distant third.

20. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What, no Bob Rigby? ;)

21. ChrisB1983

ChrisB1983 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a Villa fan Friedel was excellent for us, solid and dependable and was sad to see him go. Howard seems of a similar mound - keller on the other hand seemed to struggle with crosses in the Premiership when he was at leicester and spurs. On their performance in the Premiership i would go.

Friedel
    Howard
    Keller
    Marcus H

We also have Brad Guzan at the villa too, he seems an excellent shot stopper but very poor on crosses. This has affected him in the premiership and meant Given was purchased. Its a shame as he seems a good 'keeper.

22. Gunnersaurus7

Gunnersaurus7 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    London, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller was not really considered a very good goalkeeper here in England. He was seen as a guy who can do a decent job but shouldn't be a part of any team with big ambtions.

To give you an example, my team Arsenal has had a lot of poor goalkeepers over the last few seasons and even still if manager Wenger had signed Keller the supporters would've been very angry! Keller never did enough to build a big reputation.

Friedel on the other hand has had a very good career in the EPL. He made his name at Blackburn, then moved to Villa and even though he's now 40 he got a move to Tottenham (who are now considered out title contenders) last summer.

Tim Howard is also way better than Keller ever was and has built a good reputation (not easy to do for goalkeepers in the EPL) over the last few seasons so Keller can't be in the top 2. Probably 3rd so far.