Where does EL TRI really stand?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by humstein, Oct 28, 2003.

1. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    How good is the Mexican National Team-
    The purpose of this thread is not to start a loud argument but to really understand where Mexico stands in the world.
    Let me explain. I am a north american who has been watching Mexican soccer for over 20 years.
    The true standing of the mexican national team puzzles me. At times in the elevation of the Azteca they look like they could beat any team in the world outside of Brazil (not their 23 and under team which they did beat). At other times especially against physical and big european and neo-european teams (see-La Republica Oriental de Uruguay in Chicago and England in England) they look like any other Concacaf team. While I'm a great admirer of the Mexican people and Mexican soccer I have difficulty believeing that they are the sixth best team in the world as per the FIFA rankings.
    What do you think?

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    FIFA says 8th! not 6..... at that time, many in mexico did not agree with the high ranked team.

they should be among the top 20, no question about that.

Who are you? I seen you in threads about daniel hernandez and copa Oro results, plus many posts In the Woman USA forum.....so that clears you from a JLG look a like.

3. humstein

humstein New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    My resume.

As I mentioned I'm a North American who watches a ton of Mexican soccer. Univision at 1 Pm on Sundays, the Monterry or Tigres match on Late Saturday afternoons (in New York) the Atlas match at 10 PM saturday nights. And of course I watch all of the MNT matches on Telemundo.

4. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I would'nt say Mexico can't handle the physical teams. Point in case Italy in Japan/Korea was handle very well. Also, Croatia was handle in Japan /Korea. The Uruguay game was kind of tryout for Lavolpe. By that I mean Lavolpe is trying to give the young players a shot. I'm sure someone could give you a better historical perspective on this.

5. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    My 2 cents

They are easily a top twenty team. They're in the mix of the class among B teams in the World.

with A probably being
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Italy
    Germany
    France

B teams:
    England
    Holland
    Spain