Where do you rate Gascoigne?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Catfish, May 26, 2006.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was just watching the 2001 FA Cup match between Arsenal + THFC. I knew he is a famous player, but never really saw Gascoigne play before.

Where does he rate of all the THFC legends that you have seen in your lifetime?

Just curious...not trolling in anyway.

2. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Nice Jerry avatar! I always liked Gazza no matter who he was playing for - I guess I have a soft spot for the "tormented genious" type of player (or maybe I just like the raging drunks? Who knows...). I don't know where I'd rate him....but he'd be in the top 10. I think we had him near his best (before his unlucky times at Lazio).
    No matter where I rate him, I'd definitely like to have a night out drinking with him - would be quality fun.;)

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    In the last 20 years he is up there in the top echelon, with Hoddle, Waddle, Lineker, Klinsmann, Ginola, Sheringham, Judas in terms of quality.

In terms of being worshipped by the fans there would be few ahead of him.

Also it's the 1991 semi final, 2001 was a very different affair.

4. KanKeano's DefPosts

KanKeano's DefPosts New Member

May 6, 2004
    England
    The player was a bloody genius. I want his free-kick in the semi playing on a big screen at my funeral. Will live with me forever.

:D

5. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He's up there with the best we've had

Hoddle, Waddle, Lineker, Villa, Klinsmann, Ginola, Sherringham.

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Him and Tony Adams would be THE DRINKING FIRM of football!

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Brilliant player, on ability and footballing entertainment I'd put him above all the others I saw from his time onwards. Just tragic that the injuries and personal demons took away so much of his career.

8. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    That is always shown on the screen before games at the Lane and after seeing that a guy who sits next to me said "I'm not a poof, but Gazza did something for me that day"

Gazza is my footballing hero, my first real memory of football was World Cup '90, he was unbelievable in that tournament, arguably the best player in the tournament.

I do feel for him, football is everything to him and without it he can't cope.

He will always be my favourite player ever.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His insane passion reminds me of ME! I know this is treasonous, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of his skill. The poof comment was hilarious.

Isn't Gascoigne managing or part owner of a lower division English side?

10. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He was then he resigned i think. Dunno why though.

[​IMG]

:D

11. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
  12. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    ..although he was a genious he died on his legs after 50 mins in 91 semi. But who cares because that goal in the 3 min was a thing of beauty. For he really was before his time like most gifted players. Linekar was also class that day.

13. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Love him for tottenham, hate him for Rangers.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    My Dad says exactly the same thing, he is a Celtic supporter aswell and he has never forgiven Gazza for going to Rangers. And then when he done the flute, all hell broke loose in Scotland.

15. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    the flute's always bothered me as well, I try to block it from my memory

16. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    It's Paul Gascoigne's 39th birthday today.

17. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    I'll make sure and drink myself silly in his honor at the match tonight! May even sing him a song....:D

18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He's playing in the Soccer Aid match at the mo. I've had to switch channels to allow my eldest to play Nintendo. Hows he doing? From the little I saw, he looked like he was taking it well seriously.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    He's doing pretty well. He played one pass with what the S Americans call the Rabona (one foot behind the other).

Maradona hasn't done much so far.

20. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    That Soccer Aid game was good.

For those not aware, it was England V the Rest of the World, made up of ex pro's and celebrities. It was held at Old Trafford and it was for UNICEF and nearly 72,000 was at the game.

The teams were:

England: David Seaman, David Gray (singer), Tony Adams, Robbie Williams (singer), Ben Shepherd (TV Presenter), Bradley Walsh (presenter & actor), Gazza, Jonathan Wilkes (Robbie Williams best mate), Damian Lewis (actor), Les Ferdinand, Dean Lennox Kelly (actor)

Subs: Jamie Theakston (DJ, Presenter & Actor), Angus Deayton (actor & comedian), Jamie Redknapp, Grahame Le Saux, John Barnes, Bryan Robson
    Manager: Terry Venables

Rest of the World: Peter Schmeichel, Craig Doyle (presenter), Marcel Desailly, Lothar Mattheus, Michael Greco (actor), Gordon Ramsay (chef), Sergei Fedorov (Ice Hockey player), Alessandro Nivola (actor), Alastair Campbell (politician), Brian McFadden (singer), Diego Maradona.

Subs: Patrick Kielty (presenter & comedian), Ben Johnson (100m runner), Gianfranco Zola, David Ginola, Dunga & Ruud Gullit
    Coach: Ruud Gullit

Ref: Pierluigi Collina

England won the game 2-1, with Les Ferdinand scoring a header from a Gascoigne cross and a good goal by Jonathan Wilkes who got man of the match. The Rest of the World got their goal from a Maradona penalty after a England player handballed it (of course we got caught)

21. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I dislike him. He lost an FA cup final for us.

Maradona was good i though.

22. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Eh?

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But wasn't he the best player on your side at the time?
    If I'm wrong, let me know who was?
    I didn't follow football, at all, at that time.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Possibly what he is referring to is that Gazza's reckless "tackle" on Gary Charles ended up with Gazza getting strechered off the pitch (and not playing for a year), which could have resulted in us losing to Forest.

Our best player at the time was IMO Lineker, but Gazza wasn't far behind.

25. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Thanks for that possible explanation. You need to stop injecting junk into your eyeballs, bytheway. Your posts will make some kind of sense. We won the game nevertheless.

Also, as comme said, Linekar was the best player we had. My God, I cringed when I saw us walking out wearing those sails, laughingly called shorts.