Where do away teams stay in DC?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by soccerbarbie, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Re: Re: Re: Re: love the bs tangents...

I agree whole-heartedly. I think they banned the one guy who started that "chant". Last I heard he came up with a new "chant" that goes: "eliseoquintanilla, eliseoquintanilla, eliseoquintanilla".

Fortunately we probably won't ever have to hear it...

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't totally agree here about the need for geographic proximity to the team you support. People move around the country quite a bit these days and folks become hooked on one or another team for lots of reasons. I once heard a story about a guy who was crazy about the Steelers. He wasn't from Pittsburgh - or anywhere near there - but when he was a little boy he got a miniature Steelers helmet in a cereal box. From that moment on he was into everything Steelers. That was his team for the most silly and absurd of reasons. But had I met the guy I would not have questioned his team loyalty.

This story, by the way, was recounted to me in a class I took some years ago on political parties. We were talking about the varieties of "reasons" that people have for party identification - reasons that often border on having no reason at all. Some fervent supporters of sports teams, I would think, have no real reason at all to support a given team. They just do.

I may fall into that "no real reason at all" category. I was born in the San Francisco Bay Area. I went to college in Philadelphia. Had an extended stay in Virginia where I got hooked on DC United. Went back to the San Francisco Bay Area. Moved to Los Angeles for grad school. Now I divide my time between Los Angeles and a small town in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Who should I support? The Quakes because that's the closest team to where I grew up? I grew up at the other end of the Bay Area from San Jose. Indeed, I never even went to San Jose once until I finally went there to see DC United play a match there. Should I support DC United? They were the closest team to Philadelphia, their matches were on Philly cable TV when I lived there and I did spend some time in N. Virginia. Or how about the Galaxy. That's where I spend most of my time now.

I support DC United. Why? I wonder myself these days. :rolleyes: The only reasons I can come up with is that I just do, I always have, and that's just the way it is.

So make fun of soccerbarbie all you want for - well - being soccerbarbie (within the TOS bounds of course) but please don't question the reasons for supporting a soccer team that plays their home games 3000 miles away from your residence. After all, there are a number of West Coast DC United supporters - all of whom feel plenty of pain and anxiety for their side.

Sorry about the rant.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there not enough suffering this season. Let us make fun of more people.

How about that crush on Tony Meola?

Tony Meola, Rendered from an unholy union of Tony Danza, Cindi Lauper, Don Pepino, and some girl called named Karen who can only be remembered for tight pants, oversized sweatshirts with the collar cut off, chewing gum, hoop earrings big enough for a dog to jump through, and bigger hair. Wherefore art thou Jersey girl.

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Sounds like half of my high school. And the women were worse.

Dave

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Good points Knave, I was being overly simplistic in my statements. Of course their are myriad reasons for starting a relationship with a team (a club picks us, as Hornby would say). I think everyone was alarmed with the ease at which soccerbarbie was willing to switch allegiance, but really, should we expect anything less of a teenaged girl?

6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Knave,

I too have supported teams far from where I am currently. However, once I support a team, I will support that team FOREVER and longer. Sure, people choose teams for a variety of reasons (mine have been because they are my 'home' teams from places I've lived excepting one which is from a coach when I was a kid) but I see it as sacrelige to change your team based on their record or even if you move. Heck, I support a team 3,000+ miles away because I spent two years standing on the terraces and hopefully can get back soon to do it again!

If I move to say Boston, I wouldn't give up United nor any of my other teams I follow. That is the point of what people find difficult with soccerbarbie's statements. It would be fine if she had first liked the Earthquakes but she even said that her initial like was DC United and it changed over time. Loyalty! Doesn't seem to mean much anymore!

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    revelation - I agree.

There ain't no divorce when it comes to supporting a soccer team. Even if your team gets old and cranky, loses her looks and just isn't as much fun as she was in the past - well, you married her for better or for worse. Till death do us part ...

So, yes, when it comes to supporting soccer teams "promiscuity" can and should be frowned upon ... :)

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Agreed with the entire post, but you're just bragging about this part. :)

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Depends on what you think of LA.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I was talking more about the other place you live.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Outside of living in North New Jersey, I couldn't think of a place worse to live than LA...

Knave, my sympathies go out to you!

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: love the bs tangents...

Well the whole "hardcore supporters are elitist" topic bores me to distraction...

13. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    yeah, what was the original topic again? where I could stalk Tony-I mean Landon?

14. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    (JohnLovitzVoice)
    Mmm, I wonder where the Freedom stays on trips. Ahh, twins, they're my, uh, idols. Idols, yeah, that's it. And it's not stalking, it's lurking. Lurking, yeah... That's the ticket.
    (/JohnLovitzVoice)

-G. Rex

15. soccerbarbie

soccerbarbie New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    VA
    no.. i personally am a huge NFL fan and most of the people i know do not like the redskins

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well the difference between most people (who like NFL), and most people you know is, I would wager, on the order of several million people (at the very least).

Most of the people I know can't stand the NFL and only watch soccer and Baltimore area lacrosse. I guess that about wraps up the future of the NFL doesn't it? They'll be closing the league next week, no doubt.

17. soccerbarbie

soccerbarbie New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    VA
    teenage girl.. and that means what? i get soooo mad when people always think that just bc i am a girl i don't know anything... i can like whoever i want.. and i switched from dc bc i could barely recognize anyone.. and i IDOLIZE the players of the earthquakes.. so yeah this "teenage girl" has known soccer forever.. and plays.. so i can make my own decisions.. let it go!

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    My comments were about Truckee...

19. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    U.S.
    First of all... How has that been working out for you? Knowing soccer ''forever'' as you put it.. you must be what? The earth is 1millon X 4.. o nevermind

And second of all. Quit leaving yourself open for such public mockery. GUESS WHAT. I am a teenage girl. I play soccer. I do not however masquerade around like a drippy teenager (i hope not anyway :() thinking the boards of big soccer are out to get me.

You wanted to know where people stay. Blah Blah. People told you. END OF STORY and get on with your life :)

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I did not mean any offense, merely to point to the tendency of some teens, whether they be male or female, to be somewhat, shall we say, fickle in their allegiances.

I apologize for the affront to your character.

Please accept my sincere apologies and wishes for your future happiness and health. I will not trouble you any further.

21. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    OK - soccerbarbie - lets review some facts:

- Only two times you have appeared on these boards are to locate players to stalk (ASG and now)

- You support a team other than the board you are posting on

- You have shown fickleness in the fact you admitted you used to support DC and now support SJ

- You are talking to "real" fans who refuse to turn our back on the team as you have done

- You are the "typical teenage girl" in the fact you idolize Mia Hamm and Landon Donovan

Now - all of these things I just mentioned are facts. Now - are you really surprised you are taking flack from people on a DC UNITED board?

And if you don't recognize the players - watch a few games. Its pretty easy to pick up who is who. You don't frickin' switch teams. What are you going to do when Goose retires and LD goes back to Germany - drop SJ as well. See this will label you a bandwagon jumper and people don't generally like bandwagon jumpers

22. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when you switched to the Quakes it was easier to learn a whole new team than a few new players on United? This makes no damn sense whatsoever.

K

23. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    On top of that she is getting berated from another girl that likes DC United AND the NEW JERSEY Metro's... (eh?!) --Did David Lynch start this thread??? :)

--at least now I know why i paid my $30. :)

24. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    [funky music]

This is . . .

the Twilight Zone

[/funky music]

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD