Where did the Kerry & Soccer thread go?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Blitzz Boy, Jul 12, 2004.

1. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the link, it would connect with thousands of kids which could connect with the parents, ie the soccer mom's. This goes for both candidates, if soccer is a game they love, then show it, if not, don't fake it.

Fake it such as:

"Kerry has starred in an array of photo ops illustrating his manliness. Here he is playing hockey with Boston Bruin legends. There he is holding a shotgun with the casual ease of Steve McQueen. The campaign even travels with a bike, never missing an opportunity to slip their man into a helmet and spandex. "

Ummmm: playing hockey with Bruins legends, well I saw it, he was on the ice getting in the way, looking uncoordinated, and consistenly missing the puck when handed to him on a silver platter. True he use to play, but this was an embarrassment.

Holding the gun with casual ease. Well the pictures I have seen he looks like he is holding a hot cattle prod, anything from looking comfortable. maybe there's some I haven't seen, but in the one I saw when he was taking a shot, well if he pulled the trigger it was going to cause him extreme arm pain and not touch a feather on the bird.

Biking, nice wipeout!

Granted it must be hard to take a 60ish+ politician, any of em, and show them doing anything more atheletic than jogging. Nothing bad meant, but at that age, most folks atheletic coordination is gone.

2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    [cough] Segway! [/cough]

:D

I agree with what you are saying, but a couple of points. First, I respect anyone running for president who can actually skate around, even if he was not able to do much else.

Second, I just saw a video of Kerry snowboarding. After years of being an avid skiier, I tried snowboarding one afternoon and got my SS kicked. He clearly had done it before, and not just as a photo-op. Grant it, it was not exactly a double black. ;)

Finally, all of this is just one more area where Kerry stacks up favorably to George W. -- pretzel -- Bush.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    he played soccer? but I only see him throw the american football

I like to see him kick a few soccer balls around

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    One of Foer's strong points in the article is refuting the soccer mom angle...

"Sure, soccer moms have long been treated as political gold. But the name doesn't really fit. They may chauffeur kids to practice, but most couldn't give a toss about soccer."

This gets to the real problem with soccer in America. The fact that it can thrive as participant recreation, yet ironically cast as 'effeminate other' by many of its participants (and especially parents of participants).

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It would be really cool if Senator Kerry showed up at an MLS match. It wouldn't make me vote for him, but it would be a nice gesture for soccer fans in the USA.