Where are they now ...

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by rkupp, Jul 21, 2014.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    better for them than us!

2. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    He's the target for the fans up in Portland.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019 Campeones Cup Match Recap
    Dylan Butler
    Aug 14, 2019

Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the results yet:

Show Spoiler
    Jeff Larentowicz with a golazo to help Atlanta win.

BrianLBI repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought he was a good teammate while he was here, despite having the misfortune of playing with some really dismal lineups. There were lots of reasons for pouting, whining, complaining, etc., but I didn't see any of that.

If he were here now, I think he'd be scoring buckets of goals.

patfan1 and a517dogg repped this.
  7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but he shot his way out of Columbus, and he had a rep before that. I believe getting rid of him was one of the first moves Friedel made (right or wrong).

He's never lasted more than 2 years in one place (with 1 exception: 3.5 years in KC), and it's not because of his production, which has been remarkably consistent (double-digit goals in 5 straight years, 7 overall).

Hopefully he's learned some things over the years, and can settle down and finish his career in Colorado.

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    His underlying point is a good one.

International player spots are a limited resource whereas roster spots for americans are not. Unless you are one of the best 2-3 foreigner then your liable to be moved to make room for another one who is more likely to improve the team

9. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    According to his Wikipedia page he became a US citizen in 2006 so he presumably hasn't taken up a foreign roster slot anytime recently

It also says he first represented Sierra Leone in 2012.

I am surprised he never got a US call up. The US 2008 World Cup team included luminaries Edson Buddle and Robbie Findlay at forward. Kei seems like the kind of striker who could poach a goal in an away qualifying match where the US mostly bunkered.

I liked him when he was here. Fun to watch, didn't seem to take himself too seriously and had a good nose for the goal

NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milton Caraglio scores two for Cruz Azul. Stevie N on ESPNFC says he never did that for him. Attributes it to fewer doughnut shops in the neighbirhood.

A Casual Fan, tsb11 and goussoccer repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revisionist history. Maybe if he had an owner who had a little more long-range vision we wouldn't have had our "first-ever DP" being paid $54,000 (pro-rated, which means he actually received ~$18,000) and being let go no matter what at the end of the year because they would have had to pay more to acquire him, and pay him a higher salary.

And it's pretty rich for a guy whose nickname was "Chipsy" to make jokes about players eating habits!

TOAzer and A Casual Fan repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Nicol's comment hints that maybe he didn't impress as much as you think while he was here.

Clearly he's well on from his injury spell now, but that wasn't the case back then.

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cropper started Saturday as HA beat the Puerto Rican national team 5-1. he gave up the goal but to be honest the AR blew and offside call

BrianLBI repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No to revisit the past, but Caraglio didn't need a lot of time to settle in, which could be expected in a lot of cases. New league, travel, language, new country, playing on turf, all of those things require some adjustment. And he scored a few goals for a bad team that was playing out the string.

My argument has always been that there wasn't a whole lot more he could have done in the short time he was here for them to bring him back. And if Nicol made the call that he was OK, but not great and that he could get someone better to replace him, all you have to do is look at who he brought in the next year instead and see how that worked out.

Jon Martin and a517dogg repped this.
  15. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To give him his due, Stevie gets a lot of stick from his fellow panelists on FC for his eating habits — not least a recent discussion about the distinction between Shepherd’s pie and cottage pie. He takes the abuse with very good humor.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    He was coming off a serious spell of worrying injuries, so he was a major risk for a big contract at that point in his career.

Were the Revs ever serious about extending him? Did they think they could negotiate a lower figure after the loan? I kind of doubt they brought him in without hoping that he'd be a longer-term player, but we'll never really know.

FWIW, I felt at the time that he showed some nice subtle skills and was just the kind of target forward they needed, though I was worried about whether he would hold up over time. I was really disappointed when they didn't extend him, but I feel like I understood their reluctance with the injury risk.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FtCollins repped this.
  19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be a good fit. He has a sort of S.A. sounding accent.

FtCollins repped this.
  20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Nicol was a better player in his day than probably anyone who (in their day) has worn a Revs shirt...certainly better than the vast majority. So...I'll cut him a break on his eating habits.

21. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody have any news on Mike Lapper? Really wondering where he lands . . .

22. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marshall Leonard is a doctor.

a517dogg, Feldspar, FtCollins and 2 others repped this.
  23. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Not surprised. He always seemed really sharp when he was interviewed, not to mention a really good person.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And I thought he deserved more starts. I felt that one of Nicol's faults was his over-reliance on veterans - in this case Franchino over Leonard.

So much of success in MLS is just getting the opportunity to get a toe-hold. I think we're seeing it now with Bye and DeJuan Jones. I'm not sure if they would have gotten the same opportunity under Steve Nicol.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to see Hartford Athletic play Birmingham tonight whose GM is Heaps, Coached by Sohn and feature Daigo Kobyashi, Brian Wright, Femi Hollinger-Janzen and Zach Herivaux.

BrianLBI and NFLPatriot repped this.