where are the NJ/NY fans at?

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by NYsocc10, Feb 4, 2009.

1. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    also, the only reason i really even know about WPS is through BS. i have seen absolutely zero advertising for the league or team any where in/around NJ

2. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    Where in NJ do you live?

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bueller? Anyone?

Game this weekend? Anyone find a way to get to practice or hear any info from the team?

5. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
  6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are no Sky Blue fans. This board is full of other teams supporters asking where all the Jersey fans are!

Their fanbase consists of Sky Blue Soccer's youth teams!

I cannot wait until May 31st/July 4th

:D

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cobi13, I guess the corollary to the question of "where are the fans?" is "where is the team front office & marketing?" They are the only team other than the Sol to have a shirt sponsor, so that's good (but wasn't that relationship pre-existing? )

What has been going on since the launch & the first home game? SkyBlue & Athletica have the smallest profile on twitter (based on this list) But Athletica seems to have some local stuff going on and a supporter group presence. Have there been player appearances anywhere? Guest slots on local radio? Ads in LGBT papers?

Their next home game isn't until May 31, which likely doesn't help matters if their games aren't televised. But that just means they need to ramp up.

8. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Sky Blue still doesn't have a fan-driven supporters group, like Boston's Riptide or St. Louis's Laclede's Army. And it's not like they can rely on the few fans the NY Power had, since they're so far away from Long Island, where the Power played. They're smack in the heart of suburbia, a little too far from NYC to really be associated with the Big Apple--what identity do you craft for your team? And the league didn't do them any favors with the schedule, having five away games in a row so early in the season. Unless the team really dominates on the road, there's no momentum to ride. I'm afraid if they get too buried in the standings by the time they finally get home, they'll be an even harder sell. It's too bad, they're a fun team to watch.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what all you guys are saying is there a chance Sky Blue won't survive? Or would they need to move closer to where the Power fan base is or closer to a larger population area?

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Power had a fanbase???

The league feels the need to have a team in the NY market I guess...I doubt the league will leave that market...As long as SBS keeps paying the bills at least!

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SBS - Sky Blue Soccer

I don't live in the area, but I really have not seen of heard much from friends who live in the area

I drove 2+ hours each way to get to the games. as it was pointed out, there is no Supports club and seems like interest is in the very low 1000's

Breakers game should get a decent boost from former Charge fans going to Kelly and Mitts

Now the SOL game at rutgers will be sold out (More due to Leblanc being an assistant at Rutgers than anything else)

Then the true fans will come into play. I know they had a fanclub when they began in the W-League, but who knows what happened with them.

13. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't WPS have thought all these problems through before they put the NY/NJ team where they did?

14. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll be sure to have a bunch of Riptide scarves available for you guys!!

:D

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like the work out a deal with the Red Bulls and play at Red Bull Arena next year idea.

As for this year, what's the alternative to Bridgewater/Piscataway? I don't think playing at some college on a turf field with football lines is a better solution.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that WPS did think through the site selections, RFR. The first, second, and third requirement for a WPS team was an ownership group willing to foot the bill and spearhead the arrangements to get a team launched. WPS is not single entity. SkyBlue did just that. In fact, at least one announced location (Dallas) pulled out--they were unable to secure a place to play (among other things).

It may be that they have a good number of local fans but that those fans do not happen to be on/know about bigsoccer. It may be that they do not have fans outside of the youth club system already in place. I don't know the answer, which is why I asked the question(s). They have an ownership group (yea!) now I'm interested in their marketing and communications/publicity plan(s).

And yes, to my mind, playing on grass (even a reconfigured baseball park) is MUCH preferable to astroturf football w/ permanent lines.

They have a few weeks to try and build up some more ticket sales for what I assume will be a fairly big homestand (since they've got several in a row on the road).

17. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks... none of the charge fans I know will Root for the Breakers... even if some of the former charge players are there.

18. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Speak for yourself, dude. I'm not proud, I'll take a scarf. :) Can't wear it at the game, though. By the way, REVS FAN 1, nice win last night. I figured if anyone was going to break LeBlanc's string of shutouts, it would be Kelly Smith, though it sounds like the credit for that one gets spread around.