Where are the good soccer journalists?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Mountainia, Aug 5, 2002.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good……Soccer……journalist.
    A real contradiction of terms here…:D

2. Alepinero

Alepinero New Member

May 24, 2001
    Puebla, Mexico
    Desertfox:

is there any way that i could get a copy of this breakdown say by email or something like that?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In the US the best soccer writing comes from the daily newspapers. While it might be nice to see more of it, they are the ones doing the most interesting features with the most in-depth reporting -- and those are the kind that the sport really needs more of.

If GPK is still doing his thread collecting the day's soccer writing each morning, check that out... I've seen fantastic articles from all sorts of sources, from the beat reporters such as Goff and Merz et al, to general assignment types writing up their minor league teams.

One of the best American articles I've seen in years was written this season by an Atlanta paper profiling life as a Silverback. I still remember William Gildea's (Washington Post) work during WC 98 very fondly too.

If there is a weakness of the American full-time soccer press, it is feature-writing -- not to say that they're not capable but I've never figured out why they don't do more of this kind of thing. That said, Grant Wahl did some very good work during the World Cup this summer.

4. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I agree 100%

Here's the link to the story (sans pictures)
    www.pdlsoccer.com/ajcsilverbacks.htm