Where are the Feminists on the War In Iraq and Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by IntheNet, Oct 21, 2004.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    For instance this type of blatant ignorance of Afghan history. I guess that's what one might think from reading Ann Coulter, but here's a more accurate account:

"In the 1960s and '70s, Afghanistan was a typical developing country, poor and struggling, with a slowly expanding role for women. By 1964 they had been granted the vote. The cities had begun to produce a small elite of educated women, who entered the professions, wore Western skirts and mixed comfortably with men. The Soviet invasion in 1979 was a disaster for Afghanistan generally. But under the Russians, women's rights were protected--even advanced to a degree that alienated some in Afghanistan's tradition-bound society. More women were introduced into government, given an authority that many men found unnerving. Shaima Yunsi was a senior aide to the Interior Minister, Afghanistan's internal spymaster. "I was responsible for collecting information on the jihad warriors" who fought the Russians, she says. She likes to show a photo of herself from those days; in it she wears a green army uniform with a pistol tucked under her belt."

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,185651,00.html

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen this type of anecdote a bunch of times, and I always have the same reaction.

1. Given that she was stationed in Town X, what the hell does she know about what is going on in Towns A-W, Y, and Z???
    2. OF COURSE soldiers are going to overstate the security of the nation...where THEY are it's safe. That's the nature of an insurgency. They don't fight head on against the big boys. We'll attack Fallujah, and the same thing will happen that has happened before...we'll kill 100 of the enemy, and 200 innocent bystanders, and the enemy will be able to easily recruit 100, if not 200, more insurgents. Our soldiers will dominate Fallujah, then they'll hand over control to indigenous Iraqi forces. They will fail. Rinse, repeat.

3. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    B..b...but I thought the soldiers were the targets for the insurgents?

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you really this dense? Or just piss poor at sarcasm?

In unconventional warfare, the strategy is NOT to try to overrun the occupying armies mass formations. It's to pick off isolated targets, preferrably with an IED set off by remote control.

5. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Hey Patton, just admit that you mixed up your talking points.

You and Bush at least have that much in common. Can't admit when you are wrong?

"OF COURSE soldiers are going to overstate the security of the nation...where THEY are it's safe." - superdave

You said the soldiers were safe!
    So, how's the occupation going again?

Heck, the Green Zone isn't even "safe" anymore.

6. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    FYI,
    my friend's sister, the doctor, traveled through numerous small villages and towns accompanying reconstruction crews primarily. She even spent a few days in Mosul. She only came under fire once in the entire time, though she was confronted by local militia several other times with no adverse results.

She returned to some villages several times to treat illnesses and injuries. Each time she was very well received by the people who appreciated the fact that, apart from major cities, there was very little quality medical care.

The situation she described in the battle area was that groups of insurgents have gathered in a relatively small number of places, usually using highly populated areas where they can blend into the crowds of people, do their hit-and-run knowing that US forces do not to fire into crowds. But then how do you really know who is who when the insurgents wear the same clothes as civilians. It's very difficult because the locals can't afford to take sides even when they don't support the insurgents because their own countrymen will kill them if they are on the opposite side.

7. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I'll say it once again, Catholic women can leave the church anytime they want. Nuns can leave the convent anytime they want. Don't say it is repressive when there is an open door policy. As for sex ed, just because someone does not agree with your type of sexual education does not mean they are anti sex-ed.

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Man is that some piss poor logic.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So she was in Kurdish country? Fair enough.

10. coachklowco

coachklowco New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Newark Ohio
    Yeah, you don't like it leave! Don't expect us to include you. We been doing this thing for a long time and we ain't changing. Oh and the fact that our numbers are declining doesn't mean anything. [/sarcasm]

Somebody should push this wonderfull plan on the global scale. Instead of sending aid just drop fliers, 'don't like your repressive regime.....move!'

11. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    My last post was in response to an earlier post which claimed the Catholic Church as being repressive to women. How come someone say it is repressive to women? Do you ask church going female Catholics if they are being repressed? I'll be the first to admit the church has some issues when it comes to women but to make a blanket statement about such a large organization shows a real bias.

12. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Essentially, your claim is that noone in America is "forced" to go to church, so it can't be considered "repressive."

Well, first, millions of parents and schools do absolutely "force" kids to go to church, so your initial premise is suspect.

But even if true, it wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a powerful cultural institution like the church from being a repressive force in society. In fact, physically forcing someone to do something is probably a much LESS effective means of repression than the psychological, emotional, and symbolic strategies used by the church against women.

By your last comment about "some issues," perhaps you understand this, and we're just disagreeing with the defintion of repression.

13. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
  14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say "repressive." I said hostile to women. And the church is hostile to women.

As for leaving the church, I did that years ago.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

15. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please find and link to a post where the word "repressed" was used by someone other than yourself in regard to the Catholic Church.

16. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Plenty of info on women's issues here.

http://www.hrw.org/women/

I'm glad Ann Coulter has brought this to the forefront. What is she doing about women's rights?

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Well, how's about this?

Good.
    Uh, can you say political pork? But, ah a little can be expected. At least they're helping, right?

umm....?

mmm...well, I guess we won't have to worry about the Iraqi women's national team for awhile. And, well, the Iraqi men's team did well at the olympics, quite possibly because there was no Iraqi Title IX...paging Dr Flannigan...
    http://www.feminist.org/news/newsbyte/printnews.asp?id=8669

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Running away from pies. Because she refuses to be confined to the kitchen and be the target of airbrne pies like too many women who came before her.

19. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    "Not date-rape.. but real rape"? Coooool.

20. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Exactly. Someone who differentiates "Date-rape" from "real rape" is exempted from being given any sort of credibility when it comes to women's issues.

21. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We do have another Ann Coulter classic.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ann Coulter can't possibly be female.

Or, for that matter, human.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon, cut Ann some slack. The concept of saying "no" after a date is probably completely alien to her.

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In fact, she's probably the one doing the date-raping.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

In all honesty, on a purely physical level, if she put on 15 pounds she'd be pretty hot. As it is, she's a smarmy loud mouthed racist Skeletor. Who wants to hit that?