When will we be free of Beckham?

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by gringotuno, Jul 7, 2005.

1. gringotuno

gringotuno New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    So, if i have my info correct, Becks signed a 4 year contract when he came to Real Madrid... leaving him with 2 more years on his contract. So, should we expect him to depart Madrid next summer? He doesn't have a ton of more years in him and I would not like to see his spot uncontested for too much longer.

Any ideas about when he might leave?

2. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a chance earlier this year when there were talks of possible exchange of Ballack for Beckham, outside of that I only heard Arsenal really talking to him.

3. joto 3

joto 3 New Member

Feb 24, 2005
    evansville, IN
    He will finish in the MLS... but i dont think he'll be going there any time soon

4. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will come MLS eventually but, it will probably be when he can't perform for the top clubs. I think it would probably be his late 30s early 40s if he wants to play that long, thats the earliest I see him coming to MLS. I can already see him playing for one of four teams, this is unbias with me living in chicago and all. The four teams I can see him at are in this order and likelihood.

1) Ny/Nj Metrostars
    2) DC United
    3) La Galaxy
    4) Chicago Fire

If he plays for MLS when he is old I see him wanting attention so he would go into the cities with the bigger markets. I personally see him at one of the first two (NY & DC), the LA and Chicago are the only others I can see him accepting.

5. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First two as in order on your list right? L.A. would be the second-ranked market, and the best one for his wife's attempt to restart her career or if he wants to do movies.

6. Topside

Topside New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Sorry but I very much doubt Beckham will be going to MLS. He's more likely to get more involved in his soccer acadamies.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He wants to break into the US. He might or might not want to play for MLS, but he will move to the US after his career is finished in Europe. With Posh as his wife, he will probably pursue a career in show business. A career in soccer academies wont suit him.

8. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The funny thing is that Beckham is, actually, the best player RM has now a days. That's how low the team has got.

9. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never understood why so many people hate Beckham. He gives everything on the pitch and seems very professional to me. And when it comes to form, Beckham has been no worse, and arguably better, than the other Galacticos last season. RM would be crazy to sell him, there is no way the club would receive anything like full value for him.

10. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    i agree. particularly now that becks is playing in his best position instead of DM were he doesnt belong
    another luxa success story!

11. mauritz

mauritz New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Jönköping, Sweden
    Beckham is a great right-winger. enough said.

and, although i hate to say this, his economical value to the club is HUGE! Becks is replacable on the pitch, but not off the pitch. The RM drop in popularity (especially in asia, where a LOT of money is made) would be really sincere, and a big threat to the club. We need to keep Beckham in order to go on buying new galacticos.

12. Beasley4Madrid

Beasley4Madrid New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, VA, USA
    I agree Becks can play on the wing. But is he one of the best right wingers in the world? Definitely not, his starting spot has come under fire on the nt with Wright-Phillips' success. That's an important position and I would much rather see a ball-handler like C. Ronaldo, Joaquin, Ljungberg, or Robben at the position than a long-baller like Beckham. If he's gonna stay he better buy a shipload of Galacticos. Hala Madrid!

13. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Beckham, more than any other top-class player in England, defines the way that football has evolved in the last decade. It is hardly beyond the reach of our memory to recall Chris Waddle, John Barnes or even Steve Stone weaving up and down the line for England. Wingers all of them.
    But Beckham makes the ball do as much damage, sometimes more than they ever managed with their swivelling hips, elastic legs and close control.
    Full backs do not get near him, defenders are caught turning and if there was a Van Nistelrooy type striker in the Madrid attack, you would see his true value. Beckham had to totally change his game to suit Real's style of play.

Now don't get me wrong as I absolutely love Ronaldo, Raul and Owen, but they're not the kind of strikers that will get on the end of the crosses.

In short, Beckham doesn't dribble.

He has dispensed with the very talent which has defined his profession since a football was first kicked, when crowds swooned at players who could leave a defender for dead.In fact, Beckham could hardly be more different from 99 per cent of wingers because he does not slalom around tackles but lets the ball, rather than his shimmy, do the work.

And as ex-England coach Kevin Keegan once said: 'David doesn't waste energy. You don't see him ducking and diving and throwing tantrums like some wingers. He whips the ball in first time and often that means he hasn't had to waste energy going past his man.'

14. Beasley4Madrid

Beasley4Madrid New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, VA, USA
    I agree deVil, Becks is a different kind of winger. What do you do if you are Real boss? Keep Becks as a starter and buy some strikers who are better in the air (Why did we let Morientes leave?), put Becks on the bench, sell him and hit the market, or finally keep Becks as a starter and just hope Owen hits a growth spurt and keep the same strikers or even add Robinho (can't see him as much of an aerial threat for them)? If I was running Real, and I knew I had to keep Becks on the field b/c of his market value, I would seriously make a move for a strong, young left winger to challenge Zidane. Zizou, I love ya but you are getting older. We cannot count on him to be a regular starter. My main point is if Owen and Ronaldo are your starters at striker then you need at least one speedier, ball handling winger to complement them (Figo is disgruntled and needs to go).

15. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know Becks' value off the pitch is hugely important. But, I happen to be one of the few people that also think he contributes ON the pitch as well. He may not be a Ronaldinho, but then again, who is? Beckham is a world class player in his own way, and when he's not running the wing to look for open strikers, he's running the whole field to try to win the ball back.

If I had to choose, I would bring Ruud Van Nistelrooy over. I know this choice will shock some people, but just look at the statistics. The season before Beckham left United, Ruud scored about 25 goals. These past two seasons without Beckham, Van Nistelrooy has only scored 15(this last season Ruud only had 2 goals from open play I think, the rest were penalties). I think they had a great understanding that would greatly benefit Real.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    A well thought point. I would tend to agree w/ it and add that Giggs made up for quite a bit of that "understanding" at Man U. :)

17. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well Ruud's injury problems greatly contributed to the low numbers, but at the same time I do agree with you that Becks is a very important player on the pitch. It seems like because he is a media figure many try to ignore the action on the pitch, but he was one of the best players after the arrival of Lux, just look at how he took over the Barca game ...Becks is a solid playerm people need to stop knocking him..

18. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree. He gets the most criticism and still puts on a brace face for club and country and performs well. Like I said, he totally had to change his style of play when he moved to Madrid and I for one, think he has adapted well and is a great asset to our team.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    His assist stats for his last season were pretty poor and his complete focus wasn't on the pitch. That is why he was booted (literally! ;) ) out of Old Trafford. You know times are bad when Solskjaer is played on the right wing instead of you.

20. Los_Merengues

Los_Merengues Red Card

Jul 6, 2005
    well said.

21. SDSports

SDSports New Member

May 4, 2005
    Didn't he sign for like 5 more years?

22. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    wouldn't Denilson be cheap for the left side right about now given what's been going on with his injury and disgruntlement? then again........there's the injury and the disgruntlement :D

23. Jaws

Jaws Member

Jun 3, 2005
    The Netherlands
    That is comletely true, bechkam has an Huge economical value which alows us to buy pretty expensive players every year. We are making about 30 million out of the asian tour and it is mostly thaks to him. That why i'm very thankful to luxa for making a usefull player. :cool:

24. 10_Ronaldinho_10

10_Ronaldinho_10 New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Isla Macacos
    I am one of those few people who hang on to the thought that Beckham is an excellent player who always gives his best "y se deja el alma en la cancha". He may not be scoring many free kick goals as he did before or may not be making so many runs but, as somebody already said, he runs the whole pitch trying to get the ball. You never see Becks walking or tired, or asking for a substitution. Everyday he "jura lealtad al Madrid" and says he wants to stay and give his best for the team. That is what makes him, apart from his undoubtable skills as a player (my opinion), a great one, the "cuerpo y alma" that he leaves behind everytime he plays.
    Sorry for the spanish but I wanted to make myself clear.

25. Topside

Topside New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Finally someone on here talking sense!