When will USA and Mexico play again? the re-match, Part II

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    When will USA and Mexico play again? the re-match? I would like to know if anyone in here have some credible information about when will be the next time the two countries will face each other again? I think that they might play in the Gold Cup if (BOTH) countries advance. I understand that they will both play in Copa America too, but who knows if they will be in the same group. And being that they are from the same confederation, I doubt they will play, unless they advance to other rounds. But, beside those two possibilities, not friendlies or confederation cups? I would love to see the re-match, it will be a total sold out game.

2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Not that I don't feel up for every opportunity to kick around El Tri, but some January friendly in Kansas City doesn't exactly qualify as a true re-match to a world cup round of 16 game..

3. DCsub5for16

DCsub5for16 New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Copa America?

For months, I've been reading posts on BigSoccer which claim with certainty that the United States will be invited to the next Copa America, which will be held in Peru in 2004 (at least that's what I think this http://www.conmebol.com/comp/indice.html says).

What I haven't seen is anyone attempting to prove it, by posting any links or quotes from credible sources. It's not that I don't believe it could happen, it's just that I'd like to think that CONMEBOL would at least put out some kind of statement about this. Can anyone point me to a news article or something?

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Who cares? This rivalry has been settled. The new one is USA-Germany!

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would say that the US is not a lock to play in the 2004. The reason people believe that the US will play in Peru is because CONCACAF stated that from now on the winner and runner up of the Gold Cup would get the invites to the Copa America. However, CONMEBOl stated that Copa America is their tournament and they will see fit to invite whom ever they want. CONMEBOL also declared that Mexico will keep it’s permanent guest status so that only leaves one spot open. If CONMEBOl uses the same criteria it used for the 2001 Copa in Colombia, they will invite the winner of the 2003 Gold Cup and Mexico. Therefore, the US either needs to win the Gold Cup in 2003 or finish 2nd to Mexico. However, CONMEBOL might just see fit to invite whom they please.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    IIRC, the USA was invited to the 1997 and 1999 Copa Americas but chose not to go because it fell in the middle of the MLS season. At this point, the only way the USA would go to the Copa America is if it were to become a combined CONCACAF/CONEMBOL championship.

Sachin

7. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll never hate Germany like I hate El Tri. Germany's one of those friendly type rivalries. I respect Germany. I don't respect Mexico, however.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    ConCacaf should approve that first. I think Both Mexico and USA should go to the Cup as permanent guest, not question asked

9. Dixie

Dixie New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Its very easy to dislike the Germans. Have you watched our matches with them?

10. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes i have...ever seen/heard stories of mexicans at U.S. games?

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've seen stuff which is not worth repeating on these boards...

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Disliking Germans is one of the easiest things imaginable! No offense to the many nice Germans on Bigsoccer.

We've now faced them in two straight WCs. We want a rematch! Let's go for best 3 out of 5 (then 4 out of 7 :) ).

Mexico? Who cares about them!!

13. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico Vs. U.S. and Germany vs. U.S. is totally different. Yea, every game we play against the Germans is big, but I have a little bit of respect for Germany. However, Mexico is our biggest rival by far, due to the border and their eagerness to be better than us at futbol. It's just different...that's all I can say.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when panchos in Tejas wear their green...I think 2-0, can't stop grining!

There is nothing better for a Texan than LAYING A BEATING on el Tri and their pancho supporters!

15. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Re: I love it when panchos in Tejas wear their green...I think 2-0, can't stop grining!

!

16. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, Texas defeated Mexico in a war.

Now we need the Burn to top Mexico's national squad...

17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I want to play Mexico again. To me, it's like playing the cross town rival. You hate them, but love to play them.

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to agree with the people who said our new rivals are with Germany. They're too aggressive for us thats why they beat us all the time! We need revenge, hehe.

19. IsItSnowingInSpace

Mar 20, 2000
    Orem UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as we like to rip on El Tri, it's pretty clear they're a strong footballing nation. I mean, who else in TCF could pull a world cup campaign out of the fire the way they did? Certainly not Team USA. We very nearly came from ahead to completely lose it.

I'm looking forward to the next matchup against them, but what I'm really excited about is the next match in Estadio Azteca. I SO want us to beat them on their own turf. That will be HUGE validation, and incredibly satisfying.

20. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Mexico would be a lot better game if they beat us more than 1 time out of 10 :)

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Well, regardless whether Mexico beats the USA 10 times in a row, the USA won the match that matters. :D

22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I wonder if the people who accepted the bet regarding the signature lines have kept there end of the bargain. Unfortunately, since BS melted down, I have no proof of who made the bet other than memory.

23. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    MLSNHTOWN

Most of the Mexies that lost the bet did alter their signatures but with the new Big Soccer rules only premium members can have a sig :)

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After what Mexican players did to Cobi Jones, I can no longer take Mexico seriously. Cobi did us proud on that day. Add Mastroeni's mastery of Blanco, and it was clear who was the master and who was the slave.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    ah yes, the human pinata. I am so damn proud!!