When Will Ronaldo Retire From Portugal?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Viking07, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Viking07

Viking07 New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Figo retired around his age, he is playing non-stop for one of the biggest clubs in the World, has so much time spent doing marketing.. has a child on the way

When will Ronaldo put the breaks on his career and be savvy enough to prioritise Real Madrid in order to prolog his career?

Surely after next years World Cup he has to pass the baton on to the younger kids? he won't play another World Cup at almost 40 years old.. and he's already won the Euro's.

Surely a proper, intelligent discussions is needed about this? I've not heard anyone mention him retiring.. probably with the daft idea he can go on playing for both Real Madrid and Portugal until he's 40.

Record scorer.. he's done it all.

2. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    He's only 32

He will play in the 2022 world cup if he's fit.

If he stays injury free, he can play until he's 40 If he really wants to. Don't see him playing off the bench though, and he won't be able to swallow his pride.

I think he'd rather retire than play below his high standards

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It remains to be seen,

If Portugal wins world
    Cup I can see him retiring

4. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    40 might be pushing it, but I see no reason why he couldn't do another 2 tournaments after 2018. Dude is a physical freak. Takes unreal care of his body. Figo looks like he's in better shape today than when he played.

But I mean, yeah, if he wins WC that would be a helluva high note to step down on

---Z--- repped this.
  5. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Yeh Figo is shredded!

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I think he will retire from international play after the next Euro. He will play every other week for Real Madrid until he is 40 and then retire for good.

7. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I think Portugals best chance of winning a WC will be in 2022 given the average age of the talent in the squad.

he will stick around until then I think, a 36 year old striker is not uncommon

8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Since the 2022 WC is taking place at the end of the year, he'll be just a couple months shy of 38. I won't expect him to be on the pitch then because, as superhuman as he is, at some point he'll officially get old and have trouble staying healthy. Every sport has guys who are better and healthier than anyone expects them to be at X age....then boom, they're suddenly human and old overnight.

That said, if anyone can do it it's him. I just won't fully count on it.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figo is a cvnt who cares about nothing but money. Of course he retired early because the NT doesn't pay his bills. Please don't compare that bum to King C-Ron

10. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    July 16 2018

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    WC 2022 if he stays fit, he might be 38 at that time but he could be a impact sub like Quaresma for our Seleção.

12. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017

Harsh. I'd like to know a person who turned down a better paying job in their careers with the same conditions.

He could have left inter and signed with a middle eastern team and made more than he did at inter, but he didn't.

He retired from international football at the right time, he was slow and knew it was time to give up his spot. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

He looks fitter/thinner now than he did when he was playing. That says something to me.

13. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    I hope he doesn't for a while. He is in great shape, and if injuries spare him, he can go all the way to 2022. It would be a huge loss to Portugal, and I do not think anybody can replace him.

Who knows, maybe he will become a manager later? He would have no problems motivating younger players...