When will MLS resume the season ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Apr 13, 2020.

?

What month will we see a actual MLS game ?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2020.
  1. May

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. June

40.0%
  3. July

32.0%
  4. August

8.0%
  5. September

4.0%
  6. Next year

16.0%
  1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #876 Kryptonite, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020

It works for me. I haven't seen anything about TUDN in the monthly programming notices either.

2. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Serious question; does the MLS is Back Tourney count as a Major Trophy? I know the winner gets into the CONCACAF "Jack Warner legal defense fund" Champions League...

Asking for a friend.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at the rate things are(n't) going, it may be MLS Cup for this year.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I want us to win every trophy every year but I'm funny that way. That's why our treatment of the USOC pisses me off.

5. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #880 boomshea, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020

Phase I: 6 games between 8/22 and 9/13
    Phase II: 12 games between 9/16 and 11/8
    Playoffs: 11/20-12/12

Canadian teams would start in Canada and play 6 games vs each other, then MLS is hoping that for Phase II the border would open back up, though Toronto is apparently looking at moving operation to the US as a fallback.

Nashville and Dallas would play 3 games vs each other to make up for MLS Is Back games missed.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that would be 23 regular season games, total. What is the fewest prior? 2001? 26?

11/20 playoff start. Tad more than 4 months for Vito to get ready.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is USOC happening this year?

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF announced back in March that the Cup was being suspended "temporarily". I havent seen any word since.

However, I think its way too late to try and gin up.some sort of tourney.

Kryptonite repped this.
  9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concur--had they gotten the March games in, maybe. I expect half the lower level (e.g., amateur) teams haven't trained in months.

10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he just reached his ceiling. I think he would have hit that same ceiling anywhere (but could be wrong)

11. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think one has to have quick feet to be technically proficient. I think Trapps lack of quickness is the primary cause driver of his other perceived deficiencies. But that's all conjecture and opinion.

12. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I just don't know what you mean by technically proficient then. He's not a good tribbler. He's not good at turning. If you're meaning that he can kick a ball accurately 40 yards on a consistent basis, I'll grant you that but I don't agree that is technically proficient. I think that is a bare minimum point of entry for a pro soccer player.

13. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    [​IMG]

14. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear I looked at that 3 times and could not see for the life of my why my spell correct was saying it wasn't a word. Oh well, leaving it for the comedy in @QuarkspaceDotCom 's reply.

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an almost original tribble bought from Lincoln Enterprises in the early 1970s.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between two MLB games today being postponed and the NBA players not following rules of their bubble, I'd say things look doubtful for a return to Mapfre in 2020.

A bubble is one thing. Flying teams all over the country is another. Having fans congregation around and in stadiums is entirely something else.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The misadventures of MLB and NBA don't mean much for MLS or fans in various markets. We'll have fans if the local governments allow it and not if they don't. MLS is planning to play into November with the playoffs ending in December. DeWine said he thought there would be games with fans in stands (not necessarily at 100% of capacity) this fall.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you read the tea leaves, the signs aren't good. If the Marlins players get infected and possibly pass it to Phillies players and now their home game against the Yankees gets postponed, it can easily happen with any other league.

At the end of the day, DeWine is government. Government tells what the people want to hear...not necessarily what they need to hear. On the surface, he can be totally positive. On the inside, it can be a whole other story.

People sneak into the Nordecke all the time. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend it won't happen at other stadiums. Imagine if someone goes to an OSU game with a ticket for 26C, row 28. All they need is someone's account info and they're in 12A row 17. Social distancing at stadiums will be absolutely impossible.

The horse show being canceled is also a bad sign. We're hosed.

19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn’t heard about the quarter horse congress getting cancelled. That’s a BFD for the city.

Kryptonite and LaMacchia repped this.
  20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cool with them trying to play in he markets (charter flights, some enhanced effort to make short hotel stays safe, still shitloads of testing). But personally, I hope they don't allow any fans back this year. I won't go, and would rather have the credit go toward 2021 season tickets that I might actually use.

Pauncho, MFRONE and Kryptonite repped this.
  21. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of credits, of what has been said previously about how long the FO has to credit the STM for cancelled games (8 weeks), we should have received credit for the 5/27 game against Vancouver last week on 7/22.

I do not have that credit in my account yet. Anyone else?

22. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll ever know because he remained in MLS. Landon Donovan found his ceiling because he at least tried to play overseas and didn't catch on. I don't necessarily mean to compare Trapp to Donovan with regard to quality. But Donovan at least took a few shots at playing at a higher level and realized MLS was his level.

Although I guess you could say Trapp found his own ceiling when he chose not to pursue opportunities overseas when foreign clubs were really showing an interest. Part of getting better at what you do is the desire to take on greater challenges. If you're happy at the level you're at, well there you are.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is a particularly stupid attempted application of the transitive property.

MLS != MLB
    MLS != NBA

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Trapp was the perfect player for Ggg's system from day one. There was no need to improve and his role didn't change over the years.

25. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn’t that’s Donovan didn’t “catch on”. While it is true that Bayern didn’t extend his loan, A few years later Everton were hot to trot for him. In fact IIRC, wasn’t he EPL player of the month one of the times he was at Everton? They loved him.

I think Landycakes’ biggest problem was that he couldn’t hack the living abroad. Soccer wise, he was fine. But he couldn’t adjust to life over there.

TKyle repped this.