When will MLS resume the season ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Apr 13, 2020.

?

What month will we see a actual MLS game ?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2020.
  1. May

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. June

40.0%
  3. July

32.0%
  4. August

8.0%
  5. September

4.0%
  6. Next year

16.0%
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It was 1845 but Houston demanded they change it.

jairadballerina, Pauncho, KCbus and 6 others repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    So with a 5% false positive rate that would generate more than 90 per day and almost 5 of them would also false positive the "confirmation" test. The false negative numbers would depend on what % of people in the bubble are actually infected.

3. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    So on the poll, does our game qualify as watching an actual MLS match if the opponent looked more like a bad college team?

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys at The Athletic jjst reported that this mornings DC/TFC game was postponed because one DC player tested positive and one TFC player had an "inconclusive result"

Both were retested immediately and the lab reports both came back negative.

5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely didn’t know that the rate of false positives was that high. If that’s what we’re dealing with, it kind of changes my opinion on this whole matter. Maybe the protocols are better than we’re giving them credit for.

I still think it’s a pretty sad commentary that we are five months into this thing and we haven’t figured out a way to get testing straight yet. I would think the least we could do regarding this matter would be figuring out a way to quickly and accurately diagnose whether or not people even have this virus. It also speaks volumes that this country is so far behind other places that we can’t even figure out how to hold a tournament like this in a bubble without people getting possibly exposed, meanwhile Germany and England are not only playing matches, they are traveling to play matches.

6. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be missing something on the MLS "bubble" concept. The MLS contingent is staying at 2 Disney hotels, right? Isn't there food service, housekeeping, janitorial, maintenance, and administrative hotel staff, that live in the Orlando/Orange County area, coming in and out of there on a daily basis? Orange County had 1,300 new coronavirus cases today. Not sure why this is being called a "bubble", or if it's safe for our club to be living in it.

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone shares your frustration but we have to recognize that in the real world, PCR tests, like most other tes of the kind, are not perfect for a number of reasons, most of them having to do with human error.

Its just how this shit is, whether youre testing for TB or pneumonia or anything else. Until someone comes up with a Star Trek sort of all-encompasing scanner, it is what it is.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the TB test isn't perfect. Had to have one once as there was a scare in the North American elephant population and Mrs KG and I had had a fair bit of contact with elephants at that point in our lives. Now we didn't get a bad test or anything--but were told that false positives happened.

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who works in the medical field will tell you the same thing. It's not the machine, it's the people.

Once you get a sample into the machine, you're almost always good. Sample collection, storage, transport, handling and a host of other stuff creeps in. That's why whenever a Physician gets a positive result on something really serious the first thing they do is retest, and why much of the time they take an A and a B sample up front.

TKyle repped this.
  10. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’ve shared quite a bit about your personal life over the years but this is the first I’m hearing about elephants.

catfish9 and stanger repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs KG is known as the elephant woman in our circle of friends--started when she inherited a collection of elephant knickknacks from her grandmother and then we decided to learn about the real thing. But unfortunately, given the way some animal rights people tend to act and the "cancel culture" currently in vogue, I don't feel comfortable saying anything more, except to note that we have had the chance to personally meet some of the major elephant researchers like Ian Douglas-Hamilton and Cynthia Moss. We'd really like to go to a range country some day and see them in the wild.

12. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I'm not sure why I'm surprised by the Mickey Mouse stuff (maybe that's why they chose Disney) that MLS has on their website.

These are the current standings in group B:

upload_2020-7-14_13-6-44.png

Those translate into these Wild Card Standings:

upload_2020-7-14_13-7-34.png

And if we make it to the knockout round, who knows who will play when because they still haven't adjusted for the withdrawal of two teams. The July 27 game below still has 4A as a choice. :rolleyes:

upload_2020-7-14_13-8-40.png

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #863 Kryptonite, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    For those keeping tabs at home, TUDN has English SAP for the match on right now.

Why does this matter? When our game vs Atlanta was originally announced as a TUDN exclusive, it was announced as English commentary being on the Twitter feed.

They could have probably just mentioned "English SAP" instead of making us think we'd all need a workaround via an app and some sort of TV dongle.

14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're assuming we all get the channel.

We don't. We'll watch on Twitter, or - more likely - not at all.

15. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched last night and frankly enjoyed the soccer while barely understanding anything the commentators where saying. I basically tuned them out and just watched the game. It was quite refreshing not having to listen to some of those "look at me I know everything about soccer because I played for national team & I was better than all these ankle biters running around out there tonight"" dopes they stick in the booth these days.

But that stupid crowd noise sounded like my kids were playing in the room next to me and the dogs were whining simultaneously ad nauseam. I kept turning down the volume to make sure my kids were in fact sleeping and that the dogs weren't about to piss on the floor by the back door.

16. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Watched the Miami versus Union highlights and Trapp got torched for both goals. He got beaten by speed on the first one, then made an aggressive defensive move that failed and allowed the Union to break 3 on 2 for the game winner.

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a nice assist on a goal that was called back due to offside. I think it was his only forward pass of the night.

18. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly that was always going to be his pitfall. Extremely technically gifted player, just didn't have the quickness nor speed to be what so many wanted him to be.

19. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd really, vehemently, strenuously and vociferously argue the "extremely technically gifted" moniker you bestowed on Trapp. Pulling out my @Timon19 card, you'd really have to define that term for me. As I tend to think the term, it means a player with quick feet, dribbling skill and comfortable on the ball under pressure. I don't think Trapp is even MLS average at any of those things and never was. He has demonstrated an MLS proficient level of long passing and made his career of doing that when under next to no pressure at all, between 2 center backs and picking out high FB and wingers. Tasked with moving the ball forward, dealing with a modicum of pressure in the middle third of the field he's been found to be a near disaster. For us, the USMNT and now Miami. And he's not much of a defender either.

Ugh, so glad we're rid of him. Nice guy, not a good MLS #6.

LaMacchia repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I regret it, sorry. Defining terms in an argument made me think of you.

22. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuesday's game seems to be picked up by ESPN. So we won't have to figure out the twitter/TUDN thing it seems.

POdinCowtown, Tobias C, zman31 and 2 others repped this.
  23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massive.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good because it looks like U-verse just dropped TUDN from their main lineup. Wasn't there this morning.

Might be because MLS is getting decent ratings--for a change.

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Trapp's pitfall was staying in MLS too long. He hit the wall his first year and Ggg's system didn't improve him at all.