When will Cosmos be back?:)

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Old Man!, Dec 26, 2004.

1. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    Nope, there are a few 5000 or less seat ones, (belson at st johns) but Muirstein wants to build one next to shea, for his MLS team and the olympics.

From NYT:

"Murstein said he would meet with New York City officials this week and would propose building a soccer stadium near Shea Stadium in Queens."

2. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, I laughed when I read your post Joe, but then I got to thinking about it. How old is Peppe Pinton? Is he old enough to make your most not altogether unlikely?

3. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Don't know Pinton's age, but he should be reminded that tomorrow is promised to no one. Bert Wolstein could tell him that.. then again, he can't, can he. ;)

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put a slightly different spin on the Cosmos question:

If Merstein succeeds and an expansion New York Cosmos begins MLS play in either 2006 or 2007, will the posters here who've been against bringing back the name's resurrection accept it? Will they support the team (at least those in New York)? Will they send angry letters/emails to the MLS front office? Will they boycott Cosmos games, league games in general and/or the MLS Direct Kick Package? :confused:

-G

5. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    They'd be all over it, who wouldn't be? New Yorkers love what is truly theirs. And the Metros fans? well, they've hardly shown that they count for anything as it is, so who cares what they think? They can't even bring 8k to a game, and as such their opinions in $$$ value are right there between Disgruntled ex-players and The NHL players union.

6. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodsport, that's an interesting question and I hope more respond to it after me. I think it plays perfectly into the intra-city rivalry that MLS is so infatuated with. All those who are against a Cosmos revival for whatever reason will fall into the Metro camp. Those who support the idea or were disenfranchised with the MetroStars for whatever reason will go with the Cosmos. I've convinced myself that a 2nd team in the NYC metropolitan area would be beneficial to Metros and Cosmos fans alike as it will just make a larger pie for soccer and MLS.

7. Trackster

Trackster New Member

May 15, 2005
    I hope the Cosmos are back soon. It would be a good intra-city match between the MetroStars and it would be good for the historic value of American soccer. It would also give us non New York team fans another team to hate like the Yankees which would be good for rivalies in soccer.

8. neonhugo

neonhugo New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    New York
    I hope Pepe sells the cosmos name to Murstein, and he builds a team in New York. We need soccer in New York, and I for one would be a season ticket holder and we would shatter the MLS attendance records.

GO USA!!!!

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post (MetroStars play in East Rutherford, NJ).

10. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Heck, put them in the MetroStars new stadium. I works (Ok, sort of) in LA.

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Heck, why would we get upset? After ReAl Salt Lake and Chivas USA, the NY Cosmos is a reasonably decent-sounding name.

12. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Actually, a claimed 15k showed up for Sunday's match. If the team can string some wins together and put on some entertaining football, the numbers should improve.

I believe Metro FO has figured that better than 65% of our 'fans' hail from New Jersey and drive cars to the matches. These are not likely to pay tolls and travel to see team by any name in Queens -- unless Metro is playing them.

I would continue to support Metro in Harrison over a new team by any name in Queens; to be blunt, the trip by PATH is simply shorter for me from Chelsea. If it's a matter of Giants Stadium vs. something new in Queens, the access to subways instead of NJ Transit is most attractive.

But Metro has been my team since '96, and an outfit that shows up calling itself the Cosmos can't change that. Now, if a new team calls itself the "Cosmo Kramers," maybe that's another matter. I love a good joke.

13. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    well i think there needs to be 2 teams, 1 to represent NY and one for NJ, Metros seem to have an identity crisis. They are trying to establish themselves but how can they when they are in 2 different places??

14. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    [we all know that the Cosmos had the best home attendance of the NASL, but are there any figures known about the away attendance?

16. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    The typical Lalas ideology: Let the old and the troublemakers die. Eliminate history. What people today don't know and can't find out won't hurt us. Death to Cosmos. Sieg heil.

I read Foer's book. Entertaining and somewhat informative, though both sides of many stories were often not presented. Started on a sour note with a vulgarity in the first sentence, I guess for a cheap play for popular appeal. Too often I felt as if I was being lectured rather than given the chance to draw my own conclusions based on well-rounded research. Guess he also felt it necessary to utilize every PC cliche once or thrice along the way. They'd love him behind a lectern at Yale.

A fun read, though.

17. MUFC87

MUFC87 New Member

Dec 23, 2005

KILL YOURSELF

TWICE

18. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i see merit in having say the NY Cosmos and the NJ Metrostars that would be a good inter-state rivalry. OR have boths as NY and have an inter city derby. great :p

19. antajx

antajx New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    There has been a little bit of news this week(see NYtimes) on the soon to be released movie documentary.
    "Once in a lifetime"the story of the New york Cosmos.
    Do people think the publicity for the Cosmos could rekindle some form of movement for a relaunch ?
    Alexi Lalas for obvious reasons just wishes the whole Cosmos name would just die and go away.
    Miramax/ESPN buying the rights to the movie do not seem to suggest this is going to happen.

20. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    Repeat to youselves.The COSMOS are dead,The COSMOS are dead,TheCOSMOS are dead,The COSMOS are dead,The COSMOS are dead.And gone.Ifeel better now.

21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know somebody who says that they saw the Cosmos once sitting in a Wendy's in Kalamazoo.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    A super team like the Cosmos not part of the single entity system could do a lot of good things to MLS with excellent home and away attendances, press coverage, etc...

But I don t think MLS is willing to give up their SE system, nor the other teams would agree.

23. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    The COSMOS would do squat in MLS.Much better league, the best players spread around the league an AMERICAN league as opposed to a foreign one ,much better run.The NASL was a joke which is why it failed.I think it did more harm than good for the sport of soccer in this country.

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Metros get 70k for one of their games, let me know. If you looked at the attendance last year and the problems MLS is having trying to sell franchises, then I wouldn't be so cocky. If uncle Phil were to to pull out, the league would fold tomorrow.