When will Cosmos be back?:)

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Old Man!, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were the Cosmos to come back, they wouldn't have to be world beaters overnight. That would be impossible under the current single entity structure. But it is the goal of MLS to become the best league in the world and who could doubt that given enough time and money this couldn't be achieved? When the time is right to introduce a second NYC team, they SHOULD be called the Cosmos. It just sets the stage for them to become the powerhouse they once were.

Powerhouse teams aren't ALWAYS good throughout their histories. Real Madrid wasn't too hot during the 80's and today they are arguably the best team in the world.

Like it or not, the Cosmos name has tremendous history. This CANNOT be overlooked. There is still Cosmos history alive in the US, argue all you like about young kids who never knew Cosmos and not caring, but whomever said that the number of posts on this topic alone warrant MLS' attention was spot on. There is also international history. Jomo Cosmos of South Africa is perhaps one of the more notable examples of the Cosmos name and tradition continuing even today. And finally, isn't it a sad footnote on Pele's', Beckanbauer's and Carlos Alberto's proud careers to have played for a fantastic club and worked to popularize soccer in the US and today have nothing to show for it?

Give the greatest player in the history of the sport back his club. Why there is this animosity toward the return of Cosmos by some US soccer fans baffles me. What possible harm would it do?!! There's only upside potential from this when the time is right!

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the words of Dave Chapelle: 'They say never say never...well *****, Im sayin never!'

3. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two ways:

1) renaming the Metrostars (already discussed).

2) Metrostars begin to average 30,000 in attendance, drawing from far-flung parts of the New York market and even farther. MLS does some serious research that finds many of those fans would be able to reach a stadium in a different area more easily, and that same area has many interested fans. The New York market gets a second team.

4. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sadly, the NY Cosmos will never return. Let's look forward to the Empire Soccer Club!

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    70K...today? What? The Metrostars can't even get 20K, how will the Cosmos get 70K?? Do you know why they had that attendence when they did 20 something years ago? One word. STARS. Are they going to sign Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Figo, Zidane and Henry? No, they won't. So 70K...will never happen. It isn't possible. The Cosmos are of the past. They are done. They will never be the same team....that's Real Madrid's job. What, are you saying that MLS will buy their starting eleven? It seems like you are if you're saying that they will average 70K per game. :rolleyes:

6. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Exactly. Why should MLS divide North Jersey and NYC when they can't even get 20K in an area that has more than one million people? Wait for the Metros to start hitting 30K+, then get a second team. Hopefully each will average about 15K.

7. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    You say wait until metroSCRUBS draw 30,000 per game and why split the north waste lands and NYC...

Dont you realize many NYC fans dont go #1 because the Metroscrubs are the most boring team in the league with no real stars and a bunch of unknowns..the star power was in 96 97 98 99 2000... second to go and pay to see them is trully a waste of money.. the cheapest ticket is 20 bucks not including 20 to fill up a gas tank 20 for parking another 15 for tunnels and bridges.. right there its 75 bucks not including extra family members going to the game(for those people that are driving) and is that money really worth it... not at all. when you see those ranked amatures playing the way they do.. people are better off spending it on a champions world event at least that spectacle has star power and a game with half the effort is better than a full effort from the "local" team..

Thats not taking into account that many people have given up on that abortion they have gotten sick and tired of being treateded like crap by the current front office and being shaken down for money to a product that is in no way worth what they ask for... New England realized their prices are not worth the product on the field and ROLLED BACK PRICES while these idiots in NJ just shut down the cheapes ticket section so people can pay more to see these SCRUBS.. most people have made it clear they will no longer go see that "team" and stay away completely which results in the attendence that they actually get week in and week out.. those same people only come out for their national teams example Argentina vs peru the metro game was an empty waste land until the second half people started to enter the stadium...
    while the "local" team was playing people would rather spend it in the parking lot and wait for the "real" game to start...

in argentina the press called the game B-4 the national team Boring and a disaster to watch a sentament that was shared by alot of people both from argentina and peru and other nationalities that went in during the first game thinking they would not be allowed in for the second if they did not attend the first...

then you have the really bad marketing that make them look amature....and endless stupid stuff from the front office lies upon lies...

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    My vote : never.

:)

9. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Keller
    Thuram, Desailly, Weah
    Figo, Sukur, Zola, Denilson
    Romario, Shearer, Baggio

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see the Cosmos make a return, and I do think they will. In my opinion, having a central NYC team is inevitable..It's too big of a market to pass up that MetroStars aren't really drawing all that well from.

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I agree completely with what you are saying about ticket prices. I'm just trying to say that before MLS opens up a new team in the tri-state area, why not wait until the Metros can easily pack a 25K stadium in Harrison while the NYC team is playing at their place, at the same time?

12. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, but what reason will there be for annoyed NYC fans to go watch a team based on unwanted players that were picked up at the expansion draft?

13. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    Keller
    Thuram, Desailly, Lizarazu
    Figo, Reyna, Zola, Lewis
    Romario, Shearer, Sukur

or what about an NYC team that just tried to bring all of the US Nats in MLS under one umbrella?

14. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't work in MLS with cap issues, but I've often wondered if any Euro club has ever thought about trying to buy a national side. Let's say Aston Villa buys the American starting 11 from WC 2002, how well would they do in the prem?

15. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I don't think the Cosmos will ever return, I will say that bringing up the MetroStars in this discussion is sort of besides the point. The Metros low attendance and poor (some would say non-existent) media profile is due partly to their bad management and also due to playing a good distance from the population center. The Revs have this same problem. We play someplace without public transportation access.

If you could put a new NYC team in a stadium with public transportation access (and of course, semi-decent- by NY standards) parking I think you could really bring in a healthy amount of fans. The Metros, despite their name, are not NYC's team. Playing in New Jersey (and moving farther into it) makes you NJ's team. The Jets and Giants are saved from this fate by their long histories and having once played in NYC- that's why people will drive to New Jersey to see them. The Metros have no such history and connection with the city.

A team that could play IN (or very, very close by) NYC I think could snap up a lot of fans unwilling to trek to New Jersey. Cosmos or no Cosmos. IMHO.

16. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    You hit the nail on the head. No one in NYC wants to go to out of the way Giants stadium to support a team that is considered Jersey's anyway. I don't think the Cosmos should be brought back, but the league would be foolish not to put a team within the five boroughs in the next few expansion rounds. I have no doubt in my mind that a team with a stadium in Northern Queens along the 7 line would do fantastic. Even if ten percent of the soccer fans in NYC supported the team it'd do extremely well.

17. Old Man!

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We had discussions about international matches, the potential for a second M.L.S. team playing in New York and the potential for the MetroStars to be a tenant in light of the stadium situation in New Jersey," Garber said during a meeting with reporters at the league's offices in Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/15/sports/soccer/15soccer.html?oref=login

Stop groaning, you knew this comment would spurn more idealistic blather about a return of the Cosmos. At least we all know now that DG also thinks about it(unless he's thinking of Empire F.C., who knows...) :p

18. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    I don't think Pele will accept to play anyway. --> EBAY

19. JonnyFriction

JonnyFriction New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    New York
    I think the idea of the Cosmos coming back is great for tradition's sake. US soccer is always being berated for its lack of tradition, and I think a former superpower in the world of soccer would do much to bring at least a little bit of tradition to MLS. I am a New Yorker, and I cannot bring myself to root for the Metros because:
    1) the team is horrible.
    and
    2) i feel like i haven't got a team in my backyard that i can root for in the league that, as an american soccer fan, i can most easily and should be following.
    I refuse to make a trek to jersey for a second rate team. bring a team to the city can allow folks of all kinds to just hop on a train to catch the games. People of all walks that love soccer that live in the melting pot that is the NYC area, NOT NEW JERSEY, deserve a team. If the MLS does not notice this, then they should not be running a league. New York City is a madhouse during the world cup, and there's not even a local team to call our own ........ sad. :mad:

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Friction,

Where did the Cosmos play again?

21. Vanguard

Vanguard New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Why not call the team NEW YORK CITY and there nick names could be the COSMOPOLITANS (cosmos for short), that's one way to get around paying 3 millions dollars. COSMOPOLITANS have the similar meaning as INTER. Cool, yes? :cool:

22. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks You beat me to it

23. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that is why they were called the new york cosmos

24. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. Or they could just name the team, the New York Kosmo Kramers. Everyone on the team could have the Kramer hairstyle.

I for one would love to see the Cosmos in the MLS. I cannont believe there is not a NYC team. LA has two teams and New York City doesnt even have there own team. Crazy.

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they started in NY, but then moved to Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ.

There is no NYC team because not one of the 8 million people (or whatever it is) in the city has stepped up to own one, whereas 2 people have stepped up to put teams in Los Angeles. It's that simple.

You want the "Cosmos" in the MLS? What does that mean exactly?