When Will Another Giant Emerge?

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by F.L.I.P., Aug 23, 2006.

1. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Never said Italy, Germany (who btw Japan tied 2-2) and England (who btw, japan tied in London last time they played)

I meant the complete domination of Russia in 2002, or the extreme bad luck vs. Belgium in that WC too.

I actually follow Japanese football, and Zico REALLY REALLY REALLY ********ed up with this Team (since 2003 they already had lost all hope). <Trust me, what Zico did was the equivalent of PEkerman calling up the 1998 Argentina team and leaving out : MEssi, Tevez, PAlacios, el Pato, etc..........most ppl based Japan from the 3 predictable losses they saw at this world cup (which wasnt even a surprised after following the team for 4 years, they were no way near ready to compete and Zico's stubborness destroyed any hope they had of advancing)

(Ill answer the colombian dude later , who obviously misunderstood my post of what I meant by "2 eras") . <Im kinda busy at the moment :) >

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yeap

I can wait to get real numbers that show Uruguay run to number 3, in the last 40 yrs.:eek:

3. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    take your time - I don't want for your rebuttle to be as bad as your initial response

4. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    correction to my 1st statement...

5. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    hello,first basket world cup won by argentina in argentina

6. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    aunque quede último gil,nunca nos vas a ganar :cool:

7. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I meant it more as a point of reference -- Prior to the last couple of years, Argentina wasn't known for their Bball squad -- probably not the best of examples using Argentina anyway-- Rugby may have been better. But BBall has always been an american dominated sport. Prior to the 90s, the US had always sent an amateur/college based squad to represent them in these tournaments. At the pro level, there was the US and then there was the rest of the world... When their amateur teams started failing in getting medals and playing well in these tournaments then they sent their big guns and killed everyone. Then they got a bit lax again - but they'll win this world championship. Bottomline, is you dont mean to say that Argentina has better bball players then the US do you?? I mean pro vs pro...? I know it's off topic. But there's no comparison.

8. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    40 years? No prob.

1960s- Dominated the Club level (3 libertadores , including the first ever and maybe the greatest final in history <the famous 3 game series vs. River Plate>
    Also came in 2nd a few times (and non stop semi finalist with both Nac and Pen)
    -Also won the 1967 Copa America (only 2 that decade)
    - Also went to 1966 World cup with the most STACKED team ever. (got eliminated hilariously by the same scandal that eliminated Argentina ironically <both plots were intertwined>)

(I think Colombia showed up somewhere in the 60s <Oh yeah, Uruguay beat them with no problems in the 62 group stage : D)

1970s- 4th in the 70 World Cup
    - 1974, (IE: The Great rape of s. america......where all 3 super powers got raped (Argentina/Brazil and Uruguay) by holland. (Also Uruguay qualified to 74 without conceding a goal)
    - then came the 2nd biggest "dark age" in history. Not qualifying to 78 was in a word : "Vomite inducing shocking". Uruguay didnt produce too much talent (except for one of the greatest S. American goal scorers of all time <Morena> and top Libertadores goleador.)............And also both Nac and PEnarol were semifinalist in each libertadores (literally powerdriving through the rest)

<<<<And this was the dark age!!! :cool: >

1980s- Pretty good decade.
    Uruguay only won 4 Copa Libertadores (coming in 2nd in 83), winning 3 World Club titles, 2 Copa Americas (coming in 2nd in 1989), won the 1980 "50th anniversary tournament" (which , cause of few friendlies and the confederations cup not existing, was big) and went to 86.......................yeah it was a "decent" showing lol

(I think Colombia won 1 Libertadores somewhere there.............their first one too lmao)

<<And also in the late 70s was when El Grafico had predicted that all the nations in S. America had cought up to each other and that Uruguay (for having 3 million ppl and not even 1/2 of the $$$/facilities as others did, would be "imposible" to not only WIN but to actually WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS and Dominate)>>

90s- The ultimate dark age..............which hilariously is better than the best of the other ones.
    - Went to 1990 (great team in 1990)
    - Won Copa America 95
    - 2nd in 99
    - 2nd in Youth World cup 97 (huge event if you didnt know)
    - 4th in Youth World Cup 99 (huge event if............well, I've told you off enough it seems :)

(and this is the ultimate dark age in history).........which doesnt look too bad with the "Best ever" of Chile (just went to 1 world cup) and Colombia (qualified to 3 <and 1 of them is best to forget altogether :rolleyes: )

You guys just made it too easy for me. Nice try though.

(and the other Colombian is hilarious. It's like Im in a video game.........plowing through everything without breakinga sweat and a little boss is at the end going "JUSSST BRING IT!!!" ...........Dont worry dude........I will (And I just read your post fully and my initial response I think was...:.... "pffffffffffffffffffffffffff." lol , ah............Ill respond when I have some time (i have better things to do now than try prove you wrong .........like uh......... play with my balls) hehe later.

9. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    wc 2002 in usa,arg eliminated pro usa (regie miller last games if you follow basketball you should remember)
    olympics 2004 argentina eliminated pro usa ;) suck it slow dude :D

10. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    dude, I dont even have to "take my time" as you suggested. Thanks for the offer though.

1) VERY good for proving that football changed in the last 100 years. Brilliance such as yours has been the ever determining factor for better change in the history of humanity.......just incredible (too bad that you responded to something completely off from what I had put.......but thanks (maybe next when we argue about Basketball , you can prove to me why Germany was defeated in WW2? I can only hope.)

2) Pretty much all the jib you wrote highlighted your main point: "All the teams are equal in S. America now" (which is extremely sad actually , I mean how a nation of 3 million can be "Equal" to one of 33..........just kill yourself now man.)

But let me say this first. Consider your argument is right. EVEN if all the nations are the same, as Recoba once said "We're Uruguay, and they are not........that's a huge difference" (To put this into an analogy: It's as if Uruguay was "Arsenal" but has been struggling in the last 10 years, the rest of Conmebol is "WEst ham", "West Brom", "Chartlon", "Man City" ....etc etc etc ..........no matter how little the teams lose to Uruguay now (which btw, hasnt changed since the 40s, when Uruguay would still beat chile 2-1 or 3-2)...........the respect and glory Uruguay had and has in the eyes of worldwide people makes the pride/respect a Colombian/Paraguayan/Chilean can feel equal to exactly maybe 3% of what a Uruguayan/Argentinian/Brazilian feel.

(Jesus, when Colombia played England........did they have "Hall of fame" inductions, documentaries, pre-game ceremonies with legends from both nations: comemorating .........Colombia? That's the difference. Ecuadorians think Uruguayans are "bitter" cause they finally learned to score now and are catching up. The only way a Uruguayan's pride can lessen would be if Colombia went on a 13 Copa America winning streak , 6 mroe Libertadores, 2 world cups in a row.

To put point to this: Colombia could win 56-0 , and Uruguay still will be like "........hmm, Im still glad Im me......have fun with that copa america"

(As a Kid I was taught 1 thing: "Champions are remembered" <that's pretty much the main motto of ARgentina/Uruguay). No one cares that "Colombia made it to the semis in 1961" (Bravo dude,....really. Im sure some Bolivians are impressed somewhere :eek: )

---Also, You think anyone predicted that anyone other than Argentina/Brazil or Mexico was going to win the Libertadores? Or that Arg/Uruguay/Brazil/Mexico werent going to be in the top 4 of the Copa America last time? (Mexico was a shock cause they lost to brazil, cant have both go through.)

- Also, now that you're argument had little meaning to any Uruguayan even IF it was right. But god damn how is it wrong. (Btw, as showed by the incredible ass kicking before the 2 fluke goals in our 3-2 epic/rivalry ending win...........the Colombians again and again had really NO idea what was going on to Uruguay before the 5-0 loss (in uruguay they were predicting 6-0). <Im not even gonna start but words like: disastrous new coach, all players fighting, 1/2 injured/ and completely demoralize should give a clue)

- And you're tie to Brazil??? hahahahahha...........dude, the same tie that PArreira described as "The most pathetic thing he had ever seen?" (where 2 clear goals were disaloud and Colombia literally went 11 men back for the whole game?) THATS why Colombia will never win shit in this world (even in 5 billion years when the Sun explodes (or black hole, whatever for you detail freaks out there lol). They just dont have that "edge/cojones/balls/heart/soul/rage/fighting spirit".

Dude, you want to see a REAL tie vs. Brazil? Watch the 3-3 in Brazil where Uruguay pretty much said "******** you and your family" to every single Brazilian in that stadium. Or the 1-1 epic draw in Montevideo that ended with Brazil defending the tie like it was their qualification spot was on the line. Please, dont even come here with that amateur "We drew Brazil" .............So did Canada in 2001, but you havent really heard of them at all have you? :cool:

--- lets see what else.......Oh. the Japan thing I explained after your post ....so that's not your fault (though you "assumed" i meant the elites.............stop assuming dude, it's too risky <just wait for explanations>)

----pretty much it (and didnt even have to take my time :p ) . Like you said .......it's like Charton being good for a few years. they are still Charlton ..........and Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea are still themselves.

Literally, Uruguay's history has finally come in handy. No matter how bad Uruguay can get (and this year they came pretty close), the fact that Argentina closes down in the "Rio de la Plata" derby.........or Brazil's ratings shatter for Uruguay/Brazil (after brazil/Argentina only) , and take the game as the 3rd biggest game after the World Cup and Argentina (Parreira and R. Carlos QUOTED saying that).

While when I speak to Brazilians they cant even tell me what the score was when they played Peru or Colombia (Chile is the exception, but only cause it was 5-0 <showing shit really hasnt changed that much since the 50s>)

==== And dude, S. Korea became "serious" (with pro league finally) in the 90s and are better than Japan at the moment (who had a better league than them even before the J-league, which is a superior league btw than the K-League) <even though Japan clubs dont take the Champions league as serious as
    Korea unfortunately <sending sub teams to key game>). The other nations barely even play football at a serious level at all (Vietnam? Thailand?) Please, it's not a question of "head start" when they dont even play it in the first place (they arent even in the race).

- And if Colombia (with all the players, the good league and the "40-50" years to "Catch up" havent done it yet .........(when they clearly showed they finally "got it" in 1990-1994). I wonder what the excuses will be in 2020.........."Uh...........Argentina has better land than us to train! it's unfair!"
    tsss..lol. (I crack myself up sometimes)

But no offence man...........you can really get as close as you want. But I'll stick with Uruguay even if you win 50000- 0 ......wont make a diffence. As I said before............Recoba said it best.

peace

11. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    lol, veeery slow.

12. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ

not this year, esay. flash will take care of business:D

13. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Like Iverson was supposed to do in Athens huh? :D

Why are you cheering for the States man? If you were to say "go USA" in any bar in Canada, you'd probably get chocked. (Unless your an American living in New Brunswick :confused: )

EDIT: LMAO.....New Brunswick NJ (never mind). <thought I'd never see the name of a canadian province as an american town>

14. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    joisey, pops.

EDIT: what's canada?
    :D

15. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hey man, a little more credit where it's due!

Chile also had in the 1990's

- 1 Libertadores
    - 3rd place in a under-17 World Cup
    - 2nd place Copa America

Not too great but something's something.

16. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    but that is all their achievements in history,not only in a decade.now suck it in slow motion

17. olimpia84

olimpia84 New Member

May 22, 2006
    Bosque de Para Uno
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Are you talking about Chile? They got 3rd place in the 1962 WC, 2nd place in the 1979 Copa America, a few second places in the Libertadores with Colo Colo, Union Espanola, Cobreloa... those are the only ones coming up to my head right now, I'm sure they have done more than that. Edit: I forgot about the 2000 bronce olympic medal

And can you please cut the trash talking bits? It makes you look stupid.

18. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    3rd place,2nd place 2nd place,bronze,.....
    now suck it with 2 hands :D

19. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Holy YENTA! BE quiet for a moment and just read. yap, yap ,yap. No one here is taking away Uruguay's history. No one here is saying that Uruguay doesn't still have great players. But when are you going to realize that those days have long been gone? No one in the world today and for the past 20 years alone, puts Uruguay along with Brazil and Argentina as the best teams in the world. Times are changing - Brazil and Argentina have stepped it up a notch and have kept the other conmebol teams at bay.

you're all over the place buddy. Uruguay today is NO POWERHOUSE. They haven't been been able to field an elite team on NT level since that 1970 World cup. It's so sad that you can't see the light. And to say that it doesn't matter if your team gets rocked 5-0 just is just BS. It goes against everything that I know about Uruguayan football - the 'garra y entrega'. No one likes to lose this way, especially Uruguay. All the conmebol teams (even the 2 big boys) - can go thru coaching changes, federation scandals, injuries, etc... that's not only a Uruguay problem.

Uruguay and Argentina literally adopted the sport for all south americans. They took it from the Europeans and made it better. That has nothing to do with your 3MM people that you keep on and on about. We got it. We know you have a small population relative to your football tradition. But again, you were also one of the 1st nations to take on the sport as the national past-time. You only need 11 men on the field, so stop it with your population statistics.

Get back to topic - it asked when will another giant emerge? - NOT, why doesn't everyone listen to Bolso! --my response to the topic is that TODAY, there are several teams in conmebol that can compete at a high level. The differences between most teams in conmebol has become smaller and that looking toward the NEAR future, the differences between the top 2 elite in conmebol will also get smaller in relation to the rest. THIS IS NOT ABOUT URUGUAY! Learn to process the topic and respond adequately instead of going into a seizure about Uruguay in the 30s-40s and their past glory. Can you really not be objective?

20. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This quote alone shows how shallow you can be. 2004 Copa America semis was Argentina v Colombia and Uruguay v Brazil. -- Colombia has played very good Copa Americas in the last 20 years. They are a contender. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. So is Paraguay, Chile, etc., don't group yourself with Argentina and Brazil at NT level-- and now you have Mexico --- where's your show for pride and tradition when you really need it ?? Mexico a shock to lose against Brazil :p! ASK ANYONE IN THESE FORUMS - not Uruguayan or Colombian of course - and you'll see that besides the top 2 as DEFINITE top 4 if not finalist- some will have Uru or Col or Par or Chi or Ecu or Mex in the last 4....step up to reality.
    And as for Copa Libertadores - In the last 20 years - there is 100x more of a chance of a Colombian representative in the top 4 then there is for any of your 2 Uruguay teams that today can't even compete in any of these int'l competitions.

21. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Also 2nd place in the 1987 Copa America, colocolo champion Libertadores 1991, U.Católica finalist 1993, and the 3rd place in u-17 WC.

When was the last time that any uruclub got into a FINAL? ¿19 years ago maybe?:D

Accept it manya: you guys sucks since I have memory.
    ¿last semifinal? 1989?

22. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yr - CHAMPION- RUNNER UP

1960 PEÑAROL (URU) Olimpia (PAR) 1-0 y 1-1
    1961 PEÑAROL (URU) Palmeiras (BRA) 1-0 y 1-1

1962 SANTOS FC (BRA) Peñarol (URU) 2-1; 2-3 y 3-0
    1963 SANTOS FC (BRA) Boca Juniors (ARG) 3-2 y 2-1

1964 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) Nacional (URU) 0-0 y 1-0
    1965 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) Peñarol (URU) 1-0; 1-3 y 4-1
    1966 PEÑAROL (URU) River Plate (ARG) 2-0; 2-3 y 4-2
    1967 RACING CLUB (ARG) Nacional (URU) 0-0; 0-0 y 2-1

1968 ESTUDIANTES DE LP (ARG) Palmeiras (BRA) 2-1; 1-3 y 2-0
    1969 ESTUDIANTES DE LP (ARG) Nacional (URU) 1-0 y 2-0

1970 ESTUDIANTES DE LP (ARG) Peñarol (URU) 1-0 y 0-0
    1971 NACIONAL (URU) Estudiantes de LP (ARG) 0-1; 1-0 y 2-0

1972 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) Universitario (PER) 0-0 y 2-1
    1973 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) Colo Colo (CHI) 1-1; 0-0 y 2-1
    1974 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) São Paulo FC (BRA) 1-2; 2-0 y 1-0
    1975 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) Unión Española (CHI) 0-1; 3-1 y 2-0
    1976 CRUZEIRO (BRA) River Plate (ARG) 4-1; 1-2 y 3-2
    1977 BOCA JUNIORS (ARG) Cruzeiro (BRA) 1-0; 0-1 y 0-0 (5-4)
    1978 BOCA JUNIORS (ARG) Deportivo Cali (COL) 0-0 y 4-0
    1979 OLIMPIA (PAR) Boca Juniors (ARG) 2-0 y 0-0

1980 NACIONAL (URU) Internacional (BRA) 0-0 y 1-0
    1981 FLAMENGO (BRA) Cobreloa (CHI) 2-1; 0-1 y 2-0
    1982 PEÑAROL (URU) Cobreloa (CHI) 0-0 y 1-0
    1983 GRÊMIO (BRA) Peñarol (URU) 1-1 y 2-1

1984 INDEPENDIENTE (ARG) Grêmio (BRA) 1-0 y 0-0
    1985 ARGENTINOS JUNIORS (ARG) América (COL) 1-0; 0-1 y 1-1 (5-4)
    1986 RIVER PLATE (ARG) América (COL) 2-1 y 1-0

1987 PEÑAROL (URU) América (COL) 0-2; 2-1 y 1-0
    1988 NACIONAL (URU) Newell's Old Boys (ARG) 0-1 y 3-0

LOS urus han sacado 8 campeonatos de copa libertadores
    Han perdido 7 finales del 1960 hasta 1988, despues de eso no pasa nada con ellos a nivel de clubes, mucho menos a nivel de seleccion mayor.
    Los bracas 5 campeonatos y 5 finales perdidas en el mismo periodo *
    Argentina 15 y 6 finales perdidas

23. Manyaraña Recargado

Jan 9, 2006
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    son 8 libertadores no sabes contar tampoco.
    uruguay=8 libertadores
    colombia+paraguay+chile+ecuador+perú+bolivia+venezuela=6 libertadores

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    son 5 de penarol y 3 Nacional hasta 1988...... DESPUES DESAPARECIERON

vos apenas aprendias a caminar! Yo no sabia contar............:p

viven de la historia, no has visto nada?

25. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    errrr....NOP.
    Te corrijo manya:
    Recién en el 66 comenzó la Copa "Libertadores".
    Entre el 60 y el 65 era "Copa de Clubes Campeones", así que resta 2 copas a peñarol, y 3 finales uruguayas.;) :p

Y VEAMOS QUE HAN HECHO LOS URUGUAYOS DESDE 1990:

1.Olimpia-Paraguay
    2.Barcelona Sporting-Ecuador
    SF:River Plate-Argentina
    SF:Atlético Nacional-Colombia

1.Colo-Colo-Chile
    2.Olimpia-Paraguay
    SF: Atlético Nacional-Colombia
    SF: Boca Juniors-Argentina

1.São Paulo FC-Brazil
    2.Newell's Old Boys-Argentina
    SF: América de Cali-Colombia
    SF: Barcelona Sporting-Ecuador

1.São Paulo FC-Brazil
    2.Universidad Católica-Chile
    SF: America de Cali-Colombia
    SF: Cerro Porteño-Paraguay

1.Vélez Sársfield-Argentina
    2.São Paulo FC-Brazil
    SF: Atlético Junior-Colombia
    SF: Olimpia-Paraguay

1.Grêmio-Brazil
    2.Atlético Nacional-Colombia
    SF: River Plate-Argentina
    SF: Emelec-Ecuador

1.River Plate-Argentina
    2.America de Cali-Colombia
    SF: Grêmio-Brazil
    SF: Universidad de Chile-Chile

1.Cruzeiro-Brazil
    2.Sporting Cristal-Peru
    SF: Colo-Colo-Chile
    SF: Racing Club-Argentina

1.Vasco da Gama-Brazil
    2.Barcelona Sporting-Ecuador

1.Palmeiras-Brazil
    2.Deportivo Cali-Colombia

1.Boca Juniors-Argentina
    2.Palmeiras-Brazil
    SF: Corinthians-Brazil
    SF: Club América-Mexico

1.Boca Juniors-Argentina
    2.Cruz Azul-Mexico
    SF: Palmeiras-Brazil
    SF: Rosario Central-Argentina

1.Olimpia-Paraguay
    2.São Caetano-Brazil
    SF: Club América-Mexico
    SF: Grêmio-Brazil

1.Boca Juniors-Argentina
    2.Santos FC-Brazil
    SF: Independiente Medellín-Colombia
    SF: America de Cali-Colombia

1.Once Caldas-Colombia
    2.Boca Juniors-Argentina
    SF: São Paulo FC-Brazil

1.São Paulo FC-Brazil
    2.Atlético Paranaense-Brazil
    SF: Chivas de Guadalajara-Mexico

1.Internacional-Brazil
    2.São Paulo FC-Brazil
    SF: Libertad-Paraguay
    SF: Chivas de Guadalajara-Mexico

En resumen:
    1.Brasil: 8 Libertadores, 6 finales, 5 semis.
    2.Argentina: 5 Libertadores, 2 finales, 9 semis.
    3.Paraguay: 2 Libertadores, 1 final, 5 semis.
    4.Colombia: 1 Libertadores, 3 finales, 7 semis.
    5.Chile: 1 Libertadores, 1 final, 2 semis.
    6.Ecuador: 2 finales, 2 semis.
    7.México: 1 final, 4 semis.
    8.Perú: 1 final
    9.Bolivia: ---
    9.Venezuela: ---
    9.Uruguay: ---

No quiero creer que aún existan quienes se quedaron en la época de los Mundiales no televisados, Mundiales por invitación, de la época de Brasil aún sin camiseta amarilla, de la época en que ni nuestros abuelos nacían.:D