When Will Another Giant Emerge?

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by F.L.I.P., Aug 23, 2006.

1. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Will it always just be Argentina and Brazil to do battle against the numerous European giants?

They may not be as good or consistent as the 2 giants above but a team that could atleast challenge the top Euro teams.

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    numourous euro giants?

tops there are 6 or 7;)

3. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Even though Ecuador played like s..t, England beat them just because of a perfect free-kick from Beckham.

Ecuador should have known to put another player on that post.

4. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    blame england for crowding the midfield with 5 players, the ref who made calls for a simple brush against our players. but you are right, we did challange a giant and did ourselves well and i know if given the chance, we could beat them. but Ecuador is growing and by next WC, we will be hungrier and improved.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    another thread asking for 'who is number 3' in conmebol?

let copa america decide that...................:(

6. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Are you saying Ecuador is the next powerhouse?

7. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Will it always just be Italy, France and Germany to do battle against the South American giants?

They may not be as good or consistent as the 3 giants above but a team that could at least challenge the top S.American teams.:p :D

8. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We already have teams that can challange the Euro giants, we just need teams to become as good as the 2 giants

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Uruguay has won 2 WCs... same as Argentina.

Uruguay finished 3rd last copa america... have a bit of trouble qualifing but that doesnt mean they arent good. think they sent all there starters tho, i remember seeing Moreno and Forlan. Any way they have won like 10 copa americas and 2 wcs so they r 3rd.

Ecuador couldnt beat Colombia with there WC squad in the US. Ecuador is not 3rd. Ecuador qualifies because of Quito, not to say Ecuador is a bad team but Quito is what saves them. how many points did they get away from home?

Then again Paraguay finished in the last 16 2 or 3 times in a row. They are a team alot of people count out but they do well every time. They might have done not as well as they should have this WC but England got really lucky that beckham makes perfect free kicks. They were also really unlucky to ahve there goalie injured in the 1st 10 mins of the WC, not that Bobadilla didnt do a good job but still to have ur starting goalie get injured in 1st 10 mins and to lose by an own goal kind of hurts a team.

10. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    there are many things to take into account.

first of, let me say there was not many teams with an impressive away record in ANY region. heck, argentina finished second, and they didn't earn many away points.

and second, Ecuador was going through a process, and many of our players who started the WC qualifiers didn't finish it. Injuries and absenses of some of our top players didn't help us either. If anything, despite all these things to consider, you could say Ecuador overcame odds to qualify, especially after the Copa America disaster.

and that game against Colombia was just a friendly and alot of our players were missin for that game. And it was a gol from Soto, who plays in Ecuador, that drew the game. :eek:

I am not taking anything away from Colombia. Infact, I believe besides Argentina and Brasil, I think Ecuador, Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay are level with second tier euro teams, and are good enough to give a good match and possible upset against any top team. I am inclined to add Chile to the list as well.

11. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

Actually we won 14 Copa America :D

2 World Cups
    2 Olympics

6 Libertadores
    8 Intercontinentals

The 80 "Anniversary" World Cup

and countless 2nd places at C. America, Libertadores

.........3 million ppl

plus until 1990, Uruguay could easily go up against the best of Europe and it wouldnt be an upset if we won (like the amazing 3-2 win at Wembley vs. England in 1990)

Then even in the dark age, we'd still tie England, Spain, Italy (rarely losing).

And that copa America, we had completely domestic players except for the unfit Forlan and Montero (who only came cause they were injured in their clubs all year and wanted to play even a little football at the end).

12. yoryi

yoryi Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Boogie Down BRONX!
    You are half correct pelao,,England beat us JUST because of a perfect free-kick,and I would not call that playing like sh!t.I would call that respect to the opponent.I'm not saying that Ecuador play the best ball in the WC,but saying that they played like sh!t ya es demasiado hablas huevadas pelao!And NO Ecuador WILL NOT be the next power house.I put Uruguay,Paraguay and Colombia and sh!t even Chile in front of Ecuador.And to those haters who keep bringing up that altura BS,need to come up with some better or newer excuse cause that sh!t is dead my friends.I think thye already proved themselves,and if altura was the case,then we would made it to France 98,cause for that WC qualafier,Ecuador started playing in Quito.

13. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Is it likely though? can another team become as good as BRA and ARG...that would mean that team would be a bonafide perennial top 8 team.

Which team would be the best bet? Uruguay?

14. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Uruguay actually has the talent to be as good as Argentina they just dont know how to use that talent.

15. bolso4

bolso4 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Well Latin Pride is right. S. America can already challenge the elites of Europe (Paraguay and Colombia can hold their own vs. the best of them.)

But the "Big 3" in S. America has always unquestionably been Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay. Those 3 had a huge part to play in World Football and Uruguay was what Argentina is now from the start of pro football history until 1970s.

Then they became the "permanent 3" of the series (where they used to be #1 and #2 at worst), still creating some of the best players on earth till this day and regularly beating European teams until 1990 (where Uruguay was literally stacked: Dominating Spain in a 0-0 draw, losing heartbreak to Belgium <who went far that tournament>, beating Korea and then losing to the host Italy 2-0 (was a tight game until Italy scored 2 near the end).

- then they went downhill in the 90s, but the respect is still there worldwide. (While Uruguay are good, they are <speaking of talent> a bit above the rest of S. America <equaling Argentina in a few positions>.................but that's not much. What surprises ppl is the "3 million ppl" attached to all the titles they won (which really is more than 95% of the world has won, and even put together if you want to look it up lol)

So the best bet is Uruguay to "come back" (as they've been trying since 1990). In 2002, that was the theme for FIFA.com "The sleeping giant trying to wake up"................
    .......and in 2006 the huge player/coach crisis lead to 3 huge straight losses that made it near imposible to qualify. (though the players were there and Uruguay should have qualified 3rd without breaking much of a sweat)

But now, Uruguay has gone 6 undefeated with mostly domestic players and some new european based players under a very capable coach (best coach since 1990...........and ironically WAS The coach of 1990 :D : Also coached Milan, Calgiari, Boca Juniors, Penarol etc and other clubs around the world)

And playing better than the last 16 years too..........so many ppl are predicting a long awaited revival (especially ARgentinian media lately.............as the show "Estudio Futbol": media reporter GAston Recondo saying that "finally there seems to be the old fire coming back. It was getting lonely here just with Brazil alone"

But another great team is Colombia: who has incredible talent...............just fantastic. But always historically lacked that "heart/gut/balls/cojones" taht Champions are made of . But yeah, that's pretty much the answer to your question (without going into too much detail).

I really hope things return to normal and : Colombia/Paraguay/Uruguay take the spots to the World Cup. There's been a wierd inbalance in S. America for quite some time now. (Chile is making a nice comeback too)

16. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Really, their potential is that great? can you elaborate?

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Uruguay is great for 3 million people and all the players they export...

at a young level colombia is a great team, we just havent been able to reproduce that form in adult levels... and all this crap about european powers is BS.

South america is better than europe. FING Venzuela played Spain in madrid and lost 3-2, with Spain using there full squad.. Ecuador played Italy in NJ and tied 1-1... Chile tied or beat Sweden I forgot...

Europe is nothing but cheaters... they play dirty and are lucky that the ref help them. U cant compare the way we play soccer to the way they play. Did u see Portugal vs Holand... it was basically a 1hr 1/2 fight. The game finished with 4 reds and 14 yellows..

There r four big teams in the world Argentina, Brasil , Germany and Italy..

every one else is basically a 2nd teir team... Spain not being able to destroy Venezuela in Spain makes them look bad. I can see if it ended 3-2 in Venezuela but the game was in Madrid. Colombia played England... w/o IRC or Calero are starting goalie, we also didnt field our main mid fielders and they had everyone... Owen who had a hat trick, Beckham and all and we lost 3-2 in NJ. If England was such a "powerhouse" how cant they beat colombia?

Only reason Europe looks so good in WC is because SA is allowed 4/5 slots and Europe gets 3/4x more slots than we do. It is simple math that they are going to have more teams in the final rounds than we will.

18. Peñarol1891

Peñarol1891 New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Bar Michigan
    what kind of person roots for Argentina and Brazil?
    Is like being an Inter and AC Milan fan at the same time!

19. olimpia84

olimpia84 New Member

May 22, 2006
    Bosque de Para Uno
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    I do. In fact I support all South American teams when they are participating in a international competition such as the world cup or the olympics (of course I have favorites among them, e.g. if Paraguay is playing in the competition they are my first "priority")

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if Ac Milan had a good colombian player like Yepes and Inter has Cordoba I would like both teams haha :)

I cheer for all hispanic teams in the WC... even Mexico. I obv wanted Arg to beat them but if they had won, I would have liked them to win everything if Brasil was eliminated because they are still hispanic. Its not the same thing as if Germany wins...

what would I rather have Nazis or Hispanics.. even if its mexico win the WC. Although if mexico ever wins we wont hear the end of it from Univision... it will be 10000000 years later and theyll still celebrate it

21. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    How do you win more Intercontinentals, than Libertadores? Makes no sense :confused:

22. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    One who isnt Argentinian nor Brazilian.

I never knew Colombia was such a promising team.

23. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    main reason I wouldn't want that to happen.

24. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Don't be talking like that about "The World Champions" (U-17)

Can somebody explain why in the f..k they call themselves "El Tri"
    As far as I know "El Tri" stands for "El Tri-campeon"
    And a national team is called "La Tri" meaning "La seleccion tricolor"

25. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

You just answered your own question. Look at the flag and EL, porque somos machos.

If we did win a WC we'd celabrate for about a little over 2 years, at that point the world would end as predicted by Mayans thousands of years ago.

2010 - WC Victory for Mexico

21.12.2012 - World ends, party over.

So rest assured, it won't be a billion years. Just a little over two.