When Random Jibberish is riding in a time machine way far into the future...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jan 22, 2012.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Philly's offensive and defensive lines are physically superior.

The reason the Niners lost both Purdy and Johnson during the game is that they couldn't protect either of them. Mahomes is more elusive, but he's hobbling. Gonna need a good game plan to avoid disaster.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly is going to run over KC.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #12153 JazzyJ, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    True, Philly's pass rush is dominant. At the same time, QBs are going to get hit. Sometimes they get injured. Sometimes they get injured at really unfortunate times. Jalen Hurts was "hurts" in mid-Dec I think and the Eagles went I believe 0-2 w/o him. Meanwhile the Niners 3rd string QB had them on an 8-0 run or something.

As for the rest of it, Philly was actually not that impressive. 269 total yards against a team w/o a QB, when the Philly offense is getting the ball time after time, and 40 of those yards illiegitimate (early long incomplete pass ruled complete)? They looked much better against the NYG, but then again the NYG are not the Niners. I was actually much more impressed with KC, coming in to Levi's and walking all over the Niners, who had their #2 QB at the time I think (Jimmy G). So we'll see about the SB. Neutral site, if KC is close to healthy, it's not going to be the same kind of walk in the park for Philly.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sure, Philly probably doesn't beat KC by 24 points. But KC's defense is nowhere near as stout as that of the 49ers. Philly's offense is going to get points -- probably more than 31. KC is going to have to outscore Philly, and they looked anemic against the Bengals.

Also, sure, injuries are part of the game, but Purdy's injury was the result of coaching arrogance against the team with the top pass rush in the league. Two step drops until you get a feel for what the Eagles' line is doing and how to counter it. Shanahan figured he would just run his plays with no regard for the other guys, and his QB paid the price. (Josh Allen suffered a similar injury very late in a loss at the Jets earlier in the season. Bills were trailing, and a superior defensive line did their thing. Should have been ahead and would have been no need for sitting in the pocket like that.)

bsman repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    What I can tell you is that KC came into Levi's and completely dominated the Niners on both sides of the ball. It is a lot harder to do that on the road. Philly, eh, at home they beat a team w/o a QB in less convincing fashion. KC's offense may not have looked great against the Bengals, but the Bengals have a really good offense (as we saw in Buffalo) and didn't fare so well against KC's defense. So it's not so easy to tease apart offensive and defensive performances. It's all inter-related.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that there’s actually a The Cheesesteak Shop nearby to fulfill half of this year’s Super Bowl spread. :thumbsup:

As for the other half of the spread: Costco sells rotisserie ribs in the same section as its famous rotisserie chicken. Though they’re officially labeled St. Louis style ribs rather than Kansas City style ribs, they should be close enough since both cities are in Missouri anyway. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kansas City's offense was in much better shape when they beat the Niners. Mahomes' improvisation is currently compromised and his receivers are hurt. Mahomes, at least, will need to get healthy.

The Bengals' offense against the Bills benefited from a poor pass rush and loose coverage, exacerbated by poor footing because of snow. The Chiefs, by contrast, sacked Burrows five times, including the crucial final one in the last two minutes. Unlikely they can do anything close to the same against Hurts.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, that's the wildcard in my eyes - how healthy will KC be - especially the receivers and QB.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just recently suggested to me that because Andy Reid had coached the Eagles and currently coaches the Chiefs, that the Super Bowl spread should feature a food that he enjoys.

Thing is, what food doesn’t Andy Reid enjoy? :confused:

-G

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, the play call that got Brock injured was bad. Shanahan was taking a deep shot but as the play was happening in real time I saw Deebo circling behind Purdy as a decoy and I was screaming “too long, too long!” and I knew he would hold the ball waiting for the fake and get CRUSHED. It was devastating knowing it was coming.

don gagliardi repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We can fault the play call, but I predicted that this would be the game that things kinda come crashing down to reality for Brock. Playing in what, his 8th or 9th game, away, against a dominant pass rush and a very loud hostile crowd, it was going to be tough any way you slice it. I can remember a few Montana crashes in similar situations, even well into his career. Maybe with a little more experience Brock would feel the pressure and kind of know the moment, and try to get rid of it faster. As it was he was a fraction of a second late. I say that as a Brock fan. He's good but not superhuman, and not immune to struggling in those kinds of conditions.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Brock Purdy is a first ballot hall of famer.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Possible but I'm not there - yet :). I think solid NFL QB is his floor, we've seen that already. Now we'll see where he goes from here.

14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet trade Lance, get Brady, ride him to the Super Bowl, he retires a 49er just like he wants and Brock has a nice year to recover.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t think that was Brock’s fault at all. I recall the play as a play action fake to CMC and then a second fake to a jet sweep from Deebo. Purdy couldn’t bail out on the second fake. It was a blitz he couldn’t see until he was in his throwing motion. You call that play later on when you have burned them on runs and jet sweeps. The defense didn’t buy either fake. If Purdy didn’t have to wait for Deebo to circle behind him he gets the ball out a lot faster. That’s on Shanahan.

don gagliardi repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Update: He's got some mending to do first, and not sure his arm will ever quite be the same. He may need Tommy John surgery.

"San Francisco 49ers quarterback sustained a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow and will need surgery, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports.

Per the report, the hope is that he can avoid complete reconstruction of the ligament in the form of Tommy John surgery. A repair rather than a reconstruction could allow Purdy to return in time for training camp next season, according to the report."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...omplete-ucl-tear-needs-surgery-221007120.html

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    While it’s possible he might not be the same, I recall some pitchers had stronger arms after surgery rehab. Sometimes in the modern surgery era the rehab builds you up better than you were before. It takes a lot of pain and soreness to do it right. If anyone has the mindset, it’s Brock Purdy.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Brock Purdy=Steve Austin. I’m sure you old timers remember the Six Million Dollar Man.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #12169 JazzyJ, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Yeah maybe they can do an analysis of Trey Lance’s throwing dynamics and finally solve their QB problem by creating a Brock Purdy/Trey Lance hybrid, fitting Brock with some bioinic arm stuff. :)

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    26-24. :)

The Golden State Warriors won at the Oklahoma City Thunder. :D

Next up: a trip to the Minnesota Timberwolves on NBC Sports Bay Area HD on Wednesday.

-G

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to cause one of these on this forum and hopefully in person one day. :p:p:p

1620255925604077571 is not a valid tweet id

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    El Trafico!

Kaitlyn repped this.
  23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always down to fight someone from Los Angeles

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I say keep it all on the field. It’s sports. The North / South rivalry is fun and I want us to beat LA as much as the next person. But in the bigger picture, LA is part of my home state. What’s the point of fighting someone from LA, just because they live a few hours to the south? I really don’t understand that. You might be watching too much WWE. :D

25. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there filthy, dirty, disgusting, rotten, bottom feeding, player stealing, water stealing, trash bags, cheating, assholes. :D:D:D:p:p:p

bsman repped this.