When Elliot Speaks...Let me know

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Viking64, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I have to presume you mean BEFORE this season ended with NO playoff birth.

But on that subject...his post season analysis must be written down. He cannot go into a press conference, say what his view of the team is, and call it finished. In order for us, the fans, to get an unfiltered and uninterpreted view of what he thinks, he has to come out and SHOW what he thinks, either in a letter like Wilt did, or an interview with his direct quotes in context. Not all Burn fans can to to a press conference and listen to what he says.

So, when someone sees that Elliot has given his opinion on where the team is, and where it's headed, let me know so I can go look at it.

I have my fingers crossed that Wilt, intending to or not, proved to Elliot it must be done.

2. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    A nice place to start would be to hold a press conference in which they announce:

Meet your new coach, a beloved name from the illustrious past of the Dallas franchise: Leonel Avarez.

Now that would make me an bring out my Burn allegiance to FC Dallas.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was suggested in the past and many argued a just retired player needs seasoning somewhere else first. Has Novak changed anyone's mind? Pareja would also be a good choice. I think any player who has been with multiple teams in several countries, played for their national team and shown a real love of the shirt would make a great coach. I think the last item is important because it shows the passion they would carry over to coaching and why Novak is becoming successful.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I certainly don't think it would be an issue for a recently retired player to take the reins of an MLS franchise. It's not like MLS is the pressure cooker environment that the rest of the soccer world is. Alvarez or Pareja would be fine choices in my book IF HSG decided to change coaches. But we know that won't happen.

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    At this time last year we knew that Dallas would be playing another season at Dragon Stadium because they would never admit their mistake and move back to the Cotton Bowl.

6. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Anyone know what Leonel is doing the days? Maybe he could be brought in as an assistant for next season if nothing else. That would give the team a spanish speaking coach they lack and a famous and loved face for pr purposes.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a huge PR move for the Hispanic fans and old hard core bunch. I also think having him on board would stop a lot of lackluster efforts. That look of death from him would work wonders for slackers.

8. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    iirc I saw on GolTV Leonel Alvarez still playing this calendar year on a team in Colombia

9. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Colombia's season will be over in December.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old would he be now? Surely his playing days are dwindling down.

11. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    well I googled leonel alvarez +colombia and on the 3rd page of results there's one that starts
    www.COLOMBIA.com and what have you

I hit on that one and someone named Leonel Alvarez on 3/21/04 on a team named Quindio tied Envigado 1-1 in front of one thousand five hundred fans.

I think it's him. back to my 2004 GolTV sighting: I do remember he was wearing #14 and still had the hair.

12. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    In theory he would be the perfect assistant for FC Dallas. My only fear is that it may be difficult to have someone with such a high profile & such charisma be the assitant. The head coach has to clearly be the one in charge. Mind you CC may well be strong enough to pull this off.

Hey Buzz, could you ask GE about this possibility? I know it's remote but if for nothing other than marketing it would be a boon.

13. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Did we all forget he doesn't speak any English? Think he can learn in a few months.A good passionate player doesn't always make a good coach. I think oscar would make a much better coach than Leo. alot of people probably don't even remember him, but Oscar is here right now. I think that';s a better choice. But I bet a million bucks this team would never hire a Latin coach.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad you didn't read the whole thread. I already said the same about Oscar. Oscar is a lot younger than Leonel, though, and could play for years in Colombia even after MLS just as Alvarez and El Pibe have done. Would he give that up to coach? Good point on Leo's probable lack of English. If he hasn't learned it he should have if he ever wanted to coach here. I disagree about the passion though, Novak has proven it can be done. Other things beside that go into it but that is not a disqualifier.

15. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah I don't have a clue about his English skills. He must have picked up some English during his time here though. And being an assistant would give him the time & oppurtunity to do that. I would love to see Oscar in a coaching role here but like Pegasus says he probably doesn't feel that he's done playing yet.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    If that's the case there is no reason why he couldn't be a player-coach. That would also allow the FO to take most of his salary off the cap number.

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swift said in the past when they asked him to interview he still wanted to play. DOn't know where he would stand now.

but I can ask Elliott when I talk to him.

18. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Yes, he does want to play another year..

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about Alvarez, but maybe you were too.
    My guess is you mean Pareja still wants to play another year.

20. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Well the season ticket holder letter went out. Then he's having a Town Hall.

The Town Hall should be animated.