When Donkeys Fly: Michael Bradley at Chievo, pt 1 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMxJoga

BMxJoga Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Hopefully he starts with Rinaldo Cruzado.

2. hacster

hacster Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious .... If Serie A is a slow tactical league, why do folks think Bradley will fit in well there. Playing slowly and with tactical sophistication isn't really his strength is it?

Mind you, I am excited to see him play there and what he can learn, and I certainly think this will help his development, but I think he has some seasoning to do before he makes his mark. Do others here think he will contribute immediately?

3. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serie A is a good fit for MB.

Good luck to him.

4. bullit82

bullit82 Member

Forest Green Rovers
    United States
    Jan 24, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought his latest song release was excellent, he had great rhythm....oh wait thought this was the Prince thread.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MB can slow down but his thought process is the problem. It is too slow. Even in a slow paced league you still have to be thinking quickly. Thus he does not get the ball of his feet fast enough for me.

If he can somehow fix this; he should be fine he can make every pass in the book.

IMO he has relied too much on hustle in his career. It is one of his strengths and has been encouraged by some of his coaches...but for somebody who has been a pro for years he should be reading the game much quicker.

6. mkb3

mkb3 Member

Jul 11, 2000
    San Francisco
    Fans can't be all that bad. One MB well-wisher in their comments section has a Sonic Youth Dirty puppet avatar.

7. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Its all subjective, I dont think Serie A is slower than the other leagues. I mean there are some teams that play slower defensive games like Inter, and Milan and the minnows who have to play 8 in the box. But there are also teams that play the fast smash and grab style like Juve, Roma and Fiorentina.

8. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i always knew getting random scarves would work...

i'm breaking out my chievo scarf tonight

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not, but the dumbing down of Serie A because of the player that went to it. It would be interesting to see the contrast if Dempsey went to Roma what the reaction would be.

Two years ago we would kill to have any nat player in Italy. Heck they had one of their teams beat a Bunda team in Champions League less than two seasons ago.

He just transferred to the Fulham of Italy. It is a good move.

10. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    i hope he doesn't forget

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    A lot of players with Mikey's skill set have made decent careers playing in Serie A. While not exactly the same player, Kevin Prince-Boateng is not exactly known for his tactical skills but Milan would not have won the Scudetto without him.

And while not his strength, Mikey isn't tactically challenged either. Each midfielder in a Serie A midfield has a role. He'll probably be the Box 2 Box midfielder, or I could see Chievo trying him at a Trequartista like Milan did with KPB.

12. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    "Doves Cry" vs. "Donkeys Fly" - I can see where the confusion can set in!

13. monarchos159

monarchos159 Member

May 19, 2011
    SATX
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be looking forward to watching him this season. Cheivo is a low-mid table squad whose general goal is to avoid relegation. That said they always seem to give my Juve fits, although we always struggle with teams like that the last few seasons.

Overall, I think it is a good fit for Bradley.

14. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    necessary move

he'll get plenty of playing time, and get better in terms of tactical discipline

15. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In looking for more info on the Flying Donkeys and MB's prospects for playing time I ran across this season preview for the club, which wether or not it is accurate, was certainly amusing:

Preview

If anyone else has info on the club I would appreciate it.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Clubs like Udinese, Napoli and Palermo don't play slow at all.

And, yes, Italy is very tactical and you'll see a lot of "odd" formations there. Palermo and Napoli played 3-4-3/3-6-1 last season. Even without Steve Sampson coaching there.

BTW, Berlusconi took the "solidarity tax" off the table last night. Fini.

The agreement should be reachable then. The only major stumbling block remains the "Adu treatment".

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It's definitely being exaggerated. From the way some posters are describing it here you'd think it was the Colombian league.

Anyway, from the few Chievo games I've caught over the past several years they tend to play pretty defensively. Usually with 5 midfielders and a lone forward: Sergio Pellissier - he's pretty much been the entire Chievo attack for the past 10 years.

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So he moved from the Foals to the Donkeys ... really cool. ;) After all, Chievo is one of those Seria A clubs I like more than others (even though they are a small club with pretty low attendance compared to BMG standard)...

I'm still sad that his actually good time in Mönchengladbach ended this way in winter. Good luck in Verona and thanx a lot for the unforgotten goals against Bayern & Cologne!

Arrivederci ed ogni bene per il futuro, Michael.

19. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Class.

20. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you just leave me standing
    Alone when the world is so cold
    [1]
    Maybe I'm just too demanding
    Maybe I'm just like my father too bold
    [2]
    Maybe you're just like my mother
    She's never satisfied
    Why do we scream at each other?
    [3]
    This is what it sounds like
    When donkeys fly

Obviously this song is about 1. being left out at BMG and 2. nepotism and 3. fights on BigSoccer... perfect.
    *snort*

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Go Mikey go! Hope this works out for him and I now have an Italian team to follow. Because what my life really needs is another excuse to drink beer and watch soccer.

22. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Kill Yr Idols" would be an appropriate title for many Mike Bradley threads on BigSoccer.

23. ConfederacyofDunces

Aug 5, 2008
    DC
    I would be wary of any team that has fans who like Sonic Youth post SST years. Maybe this isn't such a good move!

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soon as he practices his diving.....

25. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with playing time Michael's game will quicken up as he regains confidence. The area I'm most concerned with is his defense. He lays off and offers loads of space recently, almost never getting stuck in. Is it a lack of having a defined role? Is it a lack of play time? I don't recall this being one of his weaknesses in the past. If I had to guess, It almost seems like the young aggression he once had has been tempered by the realization that he lacks the speed to recover. If there is any truth to my postulation, then Michael having a more clearly defined role and better tactical understanding of when to get stuck in would help him greatly.

I could be completely wrong on all this. Maybe my memory has failed me and he has always been weak in this area. It's just not how I remember him playing.

Anyway, good luck Mikey! Keep busy, play with intensity and the Italians will warm to you quickly.