When do you think will be the next time an Asian team reaches the Quarterfinals?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by HomokHarcos, Nov 23, 2014.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been only two times in World Cup history when an Asian team reached the quarterfinals (North Korea in 1966 and South Korea in 2002). When do you think the next time will be, and what team?

2. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Japan would have to be the strongest Asian team ATM, but I don't see them making the Quarters anytime soon. Australia tend to play better against European teams than most other Asian teams, so they could sneak one (but don't see them being overly competitive until at least Qatar 2022).

3. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Qatar will most likely do that in 2022 since by that time they will probably have naturalized all of south america.

4. Dmed10

Dmed10 Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Pakistan
    :laugh:

But anyways I agree Japan or South Korea, a lot of prospering Japanese players are coming through, including that 10 Years old Japanese kid for Real Madrid.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    2022. Impossible to tell which team, but based on development and results at youth level the candidates are Japan, Korea, UAE and Uzbekistan for me.