When Diego Maradona played a game for Toronto Italia in 1996.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RocketRobin, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's an article in The Athletic about the time Diego Maradona played a game with his brother Lalo (a regular on Toronto Italia) in a hastily arranged Exhibition game against all but two of the other CNSL league teams back in 1996. https://theathletic.com/2062114/202...wn-the-night-diego-maradona-played-in-canada/ You can read the beginning of the story for free.

He asked while doing his research about my story of the match and gives me credit and even says he found my game report on the 'quiet corner of the internet'. Here's my report (it's free).
    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/cnsla061.htm

What he has done is track down some of the participants for interviews and found one of them had a homemade VCR tape that was made of the game and highlights are in his story.

2. Jamaicanadian

Jamaicanadian New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    I was at that game at Birchmount. Maradona scored on a corner kick!!

3. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Diego's Last Dance | The Night Maradona Played In Toronto - YouTube

A short film about that weekend.

Only disappointment was it is only 6 minutes. I'm on camera twice for about three seconds total (red toque) plus four voice overs. Not saying I deserve more time if only that long but the owner and players stories could have made it 60 easily!

dantasu repped this.
  4. dantasu

dantasu Member

Portuguesa Santista
    Brazil
    Dec 8, 2009
    Santos
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    is toronto italia the same club who played concachampions in 76?

5. RocketRobin

RocketRobin Member

Canada
    Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes. That's the same team.

Ironic that 1996 was the last year of Toronto Italia (they won the CNSL championship that year). The coach and a few players joined the new Toronto Lynx to play in the A-League which was a threat to be the #1 American league against the MLS which had only started in 1996.

dantasu repped this.