When Chivas USA hits the press?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by galperin, Oct 29, 2003.

1. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Just a thought: What do y'all think the press will do with the story of Vergara wanting an all Mexican team? (I know he has to follow MLS rules, but there are loopholes). Do you think the press will even pick up the story? Will they pitch a racist angle? Will it cause a stir?

Let me know what you think.

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    When and/or WHERE did Vergara say all Mexican?

no, the press won't pick up on the "racist thing" b/c frankly, it's only in the minds of paranoid bs posters. (I won't mention any names...)

True, there will be an editorial or 6 dozen in which the ignorant writer will attach his "and that's another reason why soccer will never make it in this country: b/c Americans don't like soccer." They'll say that having a team marketed towards one group is unethical. They'll overlook the fact that 39 million US Latinos reside here, plus millions of other footie fanatic immigrants who have backboned the most successful WC in the history of the worlds' most popular sport, but I guess they're not "american" enough...

Which, come to think of it, just might be the reason why Chivas will market to a Latino audience, who heretofore has been neglected by the Anglophone press.

but what do you expect from hacks? hacks don't look into the facts (I'm not going to mention any bs posters in particular).

3. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?Cat...&ContentId=1016

Under the direction of Dutchman Denis You Kloese, the prodigy of current Chivas coach Hans Westerhof, Chivas will try to target as many Americans with Hispanic backgrounds as possible, to enter into their expansion team. The program will be called "New Blood", and will begin "in days"

Ironically, these players would be able to by-pass restrictions under MLS law that holds down the number of foreign players per squad, in essence making Chivas USA the Hispanic-only team that Vergara has been hinting about all along.

The spokesman for Omnilife - Vergara's company - explained that Chivas USA will have to respect the history of Chivas, noting the key aspect as: "Young blood, commitment, good soccer, and a spectacle for the fans," before adding that any American players that will be in their squad, will have to be of Hispanic descent.

Maybe not all Mexican, but at least all Hispanic.

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIGHT HERE

Vergara said he is willing to invest $12 million to 15 million to get a Chivas USA team going.

"We are convinced that a Mexican team is what the MLS needs," he said.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=281694&cc=5901

DID YOU READ THAT , he said it

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, I read the entire quote w/o having to call my therapist for more meds...

The quote starts w/: "We are convinced that a Mexican team is what the MLS needs," he said.

You conveniently left out the following: "A TEAM (i.e. an organization w/ roots in Mexico) as popular as Chivas could really dominate, become the team with the most support in the league."

Little grammar lesson: "Mexican" is an adjective. In this quote, it refers to the team Chivas, as in Chivas of Guadalajara is a team from MEXICO. That means it's will be an organization with roots in Mexico.

As per the quote from Wallydrag: 1st of all, the quote is initially taken from La Opinion, a Spanish language daily in LA that is NOTORIOUS for quoting anything and anybody. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

2nd:The article quotes that they would go for US Latinos. So the anti-American paranoia doesn't fly, b/c Latinos ARE American. If not, then tell the Armed Forces to stop recruiting our boys to fight for this country...

3rd: It is vs. US law to discriminate based on race. There's no way this quote could ever come to fruition. The team would suck, and fans wouldn't show up...

6. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    It's funny to read, throughout all of these threads, people tending to forget that Americans of Hispanic descent are still Americans.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I for one have no problem with Americans of Hispanic descent, and i don't think anyone else has either. as long as they are American citizens. I think most of us if not all here have a problem with an all mexican team playing in MLS. Last thing we want is to create more hate based on race or nationality if you will.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From experience, far too many ppl look at US Mexicans (passport and English skills to boot) as Mexicans, not Americans.

Herein lies the problem of the US Mexican identity: that they straddle two cultures and two nations. In Mexico, they are "pochos", here they're "beaners".

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On most of this stuff I think uclacarlos is wrong, but I think he's right on this.

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    By "funny", do you mean "ha ha" funny or...

maybe that it's a little strange in fitting with the colorblind ideals that seem to be popular currency among the hardest core anti-Chivas?

11. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do, but only if they're @$$holes. Otherwise, I get along with them when they're kind & friendly human beings. This personal policy goes for all races/ethnicities.