When can we get out of Bridgeview?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bigredmachine, Sep 28, 2014.

1. The field is a disgrace. It's time to start planning to get out of Bridgeview. How long does out commitment last? My dream is for Hauptman to sell the Fire, buy Chivas, and that our new owner will build a stadium in the city. Do we have 10 more years of the abysmal conditions that we have seen this season? I don'tmind driving to Bridgeview. It's easier to get to than Soldier Field, but if the field isn't kept up and there is no further development around it, then it's time to move. SF had a terrible field as well and Chicago did not make our stay there pleasant with many overlapping events making parking, etc., very difficult. But with the present situation, there has to be a better place to play and if we have to move back into SF temporarily, I'm for it. Seems as if Bridgeview's failure to maintain a playable pitch may give some room to break out lease.

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice dream. I'm not sure how long the contract goes for but unless we get a billionaire new owner no one is going to build us a new stadium.

seamuslush repped this.
  3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe we have a 30 year lease at TOYOTA Park, so we still have 21 years left and Dollar Menu isn't going anywhere. At least to all the expansion teams are finished joining the league, so we are stuck with him for min. of 4 or 5 years.:(

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    You are probably stuck there longer. MLS isn't in the position to break lease on a stadium that was financed with public funds. If you guys were to break your lease, there would be next to no chance you'd get public assistance for a new stadium and every other city that MLS was trying to get a stadium built in would point to it. The only way you guys break lease is if you get a deep pocketed owner who is willing to pay off the amount of money Bridgeview owes on the stadium.

5. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The pitch used to be very good, if not pristine. This is a fixable problem.

TP is a pretty good venue, albeit in decline. It just needs some minor, palliative updating. Sure, it would be nice if it wasn't set an industrial wasteland, the parking lot was paved, etc. but the stadium itself is decent. Far better to watch a match there, than some colossal football stadium. Even if the lease was up in a couple of years, no one's going to build a new stadium. Pipe dream.

TP is the least of the Fire's problems.

6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    We should have about 21 years left on the contract. And as bad as the field is, it could get worse. Awhile ago I heard that the boilers that heat the field were down. I haven't heard that they're been replaced by the village. We could be in real trouble in the spring.

7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was saying we are stuck with Dollar Menu as our owner for a min. of 4 or 5 years, because he's not going to sell until all the expansion team are done coming into the league. Yes we aren't leaving TOYOTA Park, unless a new owner willing to buy out the city and build one in the city.

TOYOTA Park isn't the problem, the problem is our non caring cheapass owner (Andrew "Dollar Menu" Hauptman).

henryo repped this.
  8. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    There's no need to spend money to break the lease if Andy's lawyer buddies can find a breach of contract somewhere. Surely there's a loophole that can be exploited if so desired.

9. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I doubt it will work. I don't doubt the turd has looked into breaking the lease or that countless sharks will line up to represent him, but for nought. And, if he's "successful" (after many years of litigation and a boatload of money), where does the club play? No public entity is going to ante up for Dollar Menu. Everyone knows that TP essentially bankrupted Bridgeview.

10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither Hauptman selling nor a new city stadium are going to happen within a decade. A city stadium in particular will never happen.

The absolute best we can realistically hope for is that we can put enough pressure on the other MLS owners that they force McMeddler to raise his game, start pulling his own weight and put a middling amount of resources into the team so we can habitually finish somewhere between sixth and third place in the East rather than tenth and fifth as we will if Dollar Menu is left to his own devices.

splunge63 repped this.
  11. HeyFireGO

HeyFireGO Member+

May 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Franky my dear, we are ********ed.

skinut, ratdog, Fanaddict and 4 others repped this.
  12. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until the free loader sells the team......

13. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If the pitch passes inspection, it's playable. Sad and pathetic looking, but playable.

14. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    TP is not the problem for the Fire. Least of our concerns right now. I would feel the same way regardless of where the Fire were playing.

firefan2001, splunge63 and xtomx repped this.
  15. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
  16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we got a billionaire owner and we didn't have the contract with Bridgeview the way billionaires get to be rich is not spending their own money. They get suckers to give them money.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 ceezmad, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    But wait 3 big name DPs and the fire will be able to sell out (get Seattle type numbers) Soldiers Field right? :whistling:

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just bought my 2015 season tickets :(

bunge repped this.
  19. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As they appear to only hold 80, we could easily sell it out. Not sure why we would be hosting something in Boston though.

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The way we have been playing, they might try to evict us!!!!

bunge repped this.
  21. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

22. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And YET, there are still people who will buy season tickets, team merchandise, etc Things couldn't be better for the owner. He is in a win win situation. Decreasing his outlays while increasing revenue.

23. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The absolute best we can realistically hope for is for the fans to realize that the field is not that bad and is being repaired from ok to excellent condition and that the fruits of the FO's labor pay off with a significant increase in attendance and local relevance.

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

skinut repped this.
  25. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donny, please seek treatment. I'm dead serious.