When Bobby and Earnie Return....

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by 79United, Jul 15, 2003.

1. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What to do??? Since Bobby and Earnie have been busy with the Nat's, DCU has significantly taken their game to a new level. I'm not saying that B&E were the cause of the early season woes but their absence has required others to step up which has done wonders for the team.
    So, when B&E return, does RH immediately reinsert them into the line-up or do that have to fight to regain their positions on a team that has found a way to win without them?

TS.

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think they definitely have to earn their places in the team. What they will provide is a bit more strength in positions where players are playing unfamiliar roles.

3. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    I think we've forgotten that Convey has been one of our best players this season. The change in the team has come from moving to a 442 and not playing with a playmaker. There is no one on this team more suited to the style of play we're using right now than Bobby Convey. True, he can't just expect a starting spot gift-wrapped for him, but I don't think there's anyone who'd be better.

Stewart, on the other hand, has a lot to prove. He's really struggled this year, and all his positions have competition. Right now, he can't be the second forward (Stoitchkov), he can't be the right midfielder (Olsen), he can't expect to be the left midfielder (Quaranta did quite well there and deserves another start as a result), and he'd be up against Convey and Kovalenko as the attacking midfielder. He's going to have to fight like hell to get back into the lineup.

4. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Hey, I'm a huge Convey fan and was a big supporter of Stewart coming to United, but if we're winning, let's not rock the boat. IMHO, Hristo and Curtis should start up top, period. Dema must start somewhere when eligible, and ditto for Olsen. Santino has proven useful and should either start or be the first sub.

Convey will need to earn his place, which may be a starting spot, but might not be as well. Stewart, it would seem, is the odd man out. If he doesn't win the attacking central midfielder spot, I don't see him playing on either wing. Olsen has one spot and either Dema or Convey (depending upon who wins the central spot) will have the other. At forward, Stewart will likely be behind Santino and Esky as a sub, so unless Santino or Hristo plays in midfield, Stewart might not even see action right now.

-Digital

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Digital said:

"...Hristo and Curtis should start up top, period..." While Curtis has certainly performed and I agree with you that he should start, I find no evidence of Hristo doing anything but antagonizing the opposition and hogging the ball. Certainly his (Hristo's) scoring average is nothing to brag about. How about finding a nice spot for Hristo out in the parking lot watching the cars park? Other than that.... I can see no position open for this Bulgarian!

As far as Convey is concerned, let him pick where he wants to play.... he seems to be the only player with motivation now! One other thing... I note you forgot Etch? Written him off? I haven't yet.. hope he's back in the lineup soon!

IntheNet

6. I think Hirsto (when he tones down his antics) is the most skilled and visionary player DC has. No one else on this team would of seen or attempted to make that cross to Olsen during the Chicago game. Or for that matter attempted and make a 40 yard free kick that found the corner in the Dallas game.

Yes his antics are awful and embarrassing but when he shuts up and plays he still has allot to offer this team. He is also great at frustrating the other team at the end of the game if DC United has the lead as he can hold the ball and take a foul.

Even at 90 minutes in the heat at Chicago he had a couple breakaways and put a beauty of a shot that just faded wide that Thorton had no chance for.

Unfortunately, we have no one else that can do that. Certainly not Etcheverry. Maybe once long ago but not now that he is over weight and slow of foot.

-The Far Side

7. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    Please keep Etch on the bench for now. Anyone else possibly see Ernie supplying depth at right back as we have seen Bruce do with Sanneh and Reyna?

John

8. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's exactly what I've done. Etch built this team but he is no longer the man of the house. His play has been spotty, his corners suck, his endurance is non-exsistant, and take away his gimmie PK's his point total isn't that impressive. It's time for old man Etch to sit and let the young guns take over.

TS.

9. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how you tell a couple of players coming home from representing their country in their continental championship that they have to earn their way back because we've actually won a few games. Esp Bobby who was playing very well and was very much a part of some of those good results.

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    The midfield becomes Bobby, Ben, Dema, and Nelsen. Earnie has to find a spot.

11. VLAD

VLAD New Member

Jan 11, 2001
    VIENNA, VA
    Last 10 games

W L T PTS

Chi 5 4 1 16
    DC 4 3 3 15
    Turds 4 3 3 15
    NE 3 2 5 14
    CLB 3 4 3 12

SJ 3 3 4 13

We have turned the corner. Playing at home against a team that can score a lot of goals will be tough. They can come back from deficits and have done so 2/3 times this year on the road.

Need a win to get the edge on the NE vs Chi result. However, I see a 2-2 tie.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Here are the problems in re-integrating Bobby and Earnie (presuming that Marco is on the bench):

- Bobby is the best a-mid, but Dema is no good at all on the flank.
    -Earnie can't be paired with Hristo up top as we need one real striker.

So if we continue the 442 then here's how we shouls lineup:

Ivanov---Petke---Prideaux---Namoff
    ---------------Nelsen
    Olsen-------------------------Stewart
    ---------------Convey
    -----Kovalenko--------Stoichkov

Rationalizations:

- Curtis loses out as- face it- he hasn't scored. He should be first off the bench though and he may well score as a fresh sub against a tired defense. Dema can play forward just fine and he will extend the defense. Plus Dema gets to stay in the middle of the field. He will score multiple times as a forward a la Razov.

- Convey as the a-mid and Hristo as a forward will often flip-flop. One of Bobby's strengths is his ability to read the defense and make a strong run forward- perfect for one of Stoichkov's passes. Olsen, as we know, is also good at this and Stewart would be perfect at filling in behind for a score off a rebound or just to cover on defense- like he does so well with the Nats.

13. Ursula - like your lineup but I think Curtis should start and Stoitch come off the bench for him at 60 minute mark. I think Curtis's trouble with scoring is that he has been a loan striker as Stoitch lays back. It is very hard to score as a loan striker, but can stretch defense, draw fouls and PKs, and get assists by passing to trailing player. All of this he has done. I think he would beneift from having Dema up front with him. Stoitch needs space to work and with a tired defense there is a better chance they won't cover him as tight. Then he will make them pay. Also as evident in chicago, he isn't to bad at the counter as he had a wicked shot that just missed at the end of the game.

Also I think Q1 played a pretty decent winger last time out and could share the time/position with Stewert, especailly if Stewert dissapears. I think Stewert's time at forward is over.

Otherwise - Great Lineup.

The Far Side

14. Siegen

Siegen New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Boise, Idaho
    Maybe we nee d to change the subject

There's two ways to go with this discussion and everyone is talking about what should be done in their opinion. How about what do you think Ray is going to do? Mostly how is he going to screw it up?

Siegen