Wheelock: andres cantor's thoughts on hispanics&mls

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MD_05, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I agree. He seems to say: ' don't take our support for granted, but don't try to pander to such a diverse group (ie. "Let's get a Mexican player in LA.")'

Respect their intelligence by putting quality on the field, regardless of background. Make sure they see the open doors to US soccer by establishing stronger lines of communication with the various latino communities.

There's plenty of common sense to what he says, so he's bound to be ignored or misinterpreted.

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the comments a repetition of what most 'experts' say or do: criticze, but don't really propose any solutions.

Hence, the yawn...........

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selig's been targeting 2005 for a year or so. There are logistical problems though that are off topic. But Bud Selig wants to do this and wants it very badly.

4. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Well said Sachin, I totally agree. I went to two regular DC games (non-double header) this season for the first time in 3 years. I was surprised to see many latino families at the games since I too thought that they had lost interest. But this doesn't seem to be the case. MLS has a difficult job in marketing their game since its a pull between youth, Eurosnobs, latinos, and joe-sixpack. And I think that MLS has learned that they cannot count on only one or two of these groups for their fanbase. In any case, I don't see how Cantor can say now that MLS isn't doing its part to address latino fans. Everything over the RFK PA system is English/Spanish. There are spanish signboards, ads, etc. Hell, DC has done all it can to cater to Central Americans by bringing in Cerritos, Q2, and Reyes. In DC, the problem is that right now, we're just a losing team. If we become good again, I'll bet that alot of those fans from '96-'98 will come back.

5. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Cantor is totally off mark on his comments.

First, he thinks like an Argentinean and, as such, has never been able to understand the Mexican idiosyncrasy.

He duped "gullible American soccer fans" into believing he invented the "goooooooooool" cry when, in fact, he does a poor imitation of great ones before him.

Whoever has listened to his play narrative will attest to his boring style and aphonic tone which forces you to click the "mute" feature in your remote control.

I always contended that he was nothing more than a wimpy "comparsa" (sidekick) to the late Longo. And both of them showed utter discrimination toward MLS from the very beginning. The players were "incipient" and the referees were "incapable".

How easy he forgets he was anti-American and anti-MLS.

Now is trying to come back to "teach" MLS how to market to a Hispanic ( read "Mexican") market he hardly understand and certainly despises in a frivolous and subversive fashion.

We tell him what Roman used to tell the phony medicine practitioners:

DOCTOR, CURA TE IPSUM….

6. That's CF America.

7. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Ah ha! Some good points. Especially the one about how people thought that he is the only one who yells 'gooooool'.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah-ha. Well, that makes sense since Chivas hasn't won much in the way of championships since the 1950's and 60's.

Aren't Chivas one of Club America's biggest rivals? I noticed that the recent Chivas/America match received an awful lot of coverage on the Spanish-language networks here.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% in agreement. Cantor = Overrated...

I sat through the years that MLS tried to cater to Latin American fans, especially Mexican. Didn't work.

Everyone knows that a quality product will draw fans from all soccer "nationalities". The MLS learned from their mistakes and are slowly starting to develop programs and services geared to the Latin American soccer fans. Give it time...