What's wrong with our club

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by scytheavatar, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And it is clear that you are lost fan boy.

2. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You're not far off, a simpler explanation is the drop in form, when we went from a real 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1. We lost all of our threat, speed and directness. Wilshere has to make 30 yards runs to be involved in the game at all. Injuries happen but the system needs to say the same or we lose the impetus as we've seen for the last 3 seasons or so. That and Rosicky should never see the pitch before the 85 minute.

Trying to cover song has ruined the attack. For me at some point we should have realized that we might give up goals be to win the title we needed to win out games, and draws were as good as loses.

Wilshere is positionally aware, Diaby less so, but the risk need to be taken to get us goals.

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I post in the Dutch forums. And yes, I have made mistakes in my attitude towards the Arsenal fans. I stated my thoughts like I would have discussing it with my real life friends. I failed to recognize it would be patronizing towards the fans and I also underestimated Arsenal based on the game of last year. I'm completely objective however. I've even attended the opening game of the Emirates Stadium.

4. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you haven't listened to this "State of Arsenal" podcast at Online Gooner, you really need to. Very informative. As quoted above , Amy Lawrence and Phillipe Auclair are lay bare the facts on Arsenal failings. (Each podcast is about 14 MB)

Part 1 26:03 mins
    A State of the Arsenal nation special. Have things gone stale at the club? Arsene Wenger’s stubbornness. The manager’s changing relationship with the press. Have Arsenal fans been spoilt under Arsene? The changing tide of opinion amongst the club’s supporters. What happened to Wenger the sports scientist? Arsene the tactician. Did Wenger genuinely believe Arsenal could have eliminated Barca with 11 men on the pitch? Recorded on April 4th, the panel of Philippe Auclair (France Fooball), Amy Lawrence (The Observer) and Tim Payton (Arsenal Supporters’ Trust) are asked the questions by host David Oudot in the 69th edition of Arsenal’s The Gooner fanzine podcast, sponsored by Gooner Shirts.

Part 2 25:02 mins
    A second helping of our A State of the Arsenal nation special recording. Andrey Arshavin. Where to start with the rebuilding in the summer. The quality of Arsenal’s scouting. Should Arsene Wenger be so hands on in the transfer dealings. Arsenal have a director of football after all! Is the manager working so hard doing the club any favours? Is there any input from the board on playing matters? How significant was Martin Keown’s contribution behind the scenes in 2006? The serenity in the dressing room. Recorded on April 4th, the panel of Philippe Auclair (France Fooball), Amy Lawrence (The Observer) and Tim Payton (Arsenal Supporters’ Trust) are asked the questions by host David Oudot in the 70th edition of Arsenal’s The Gooner fanzine podcast, sponsored by Gooner Shirts.

Part 3 32:25 mins
    The concluding part of our State of the Arsenal nation special recording. What are the chances of Cesc Fabregas being at the club next season? The psychological tests carried out on the players. The failed experiment of Abou Diaby. Jack Wilshere proves it’s time to promote more from the youths. The need for a trophy signing this summer. The players Arsenal have missed out on. The significance of the injury situation compared with past seasons. Recorded on April 4th, the panel of Philippe Auclair (France Fooball), Amy Lawrence (The Observer) and Tim Payton (Arsenal Supporters’ Trust) are asked the questions by host David Oudot in the 71st edition of Arsenal’s The Gooner fanzine podcast, sponsored by Gooner Shirts.

5. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    actually, this is the barcelona reference rewinder made:
    where is he trying to "grasp the essence of barca play"? he wasn't.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this is not football manager lol

and we need a thinner pitch

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I finished listening this morning... pretty good stuff... some of the stuff they say I completely disagreement, some I do agree with, and good perspective

8. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
  10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From that article. I agree, actually. I didn't think we were good enough to win the Premiership or the CL. I had hoped for a strong showing in the Carling Cup, and for the most part Wenger fielded as strong a team as he could. This team needs to get a lot better to really contend, so the fact that we're still within striking distance of 1st, in a tough Premiership [tough in that there are no Derby's this year and every team at the bottom has collected scalps this year] is a mark of strength. Not enough of a mark to be really rewarding for the average fan, but strong nonetheless.

We just need better players. I have a youth U10 girls team, and I love each and every one of them, but I've got 4 or 5 that really have no business being on a travel team. I'm not going to cut them next fall, we are still developmental and I don't have any responsibilities other than to the parents. I know how Wenger feels towards his players. But the fact that Arsene admits that 2nd is a sign of success means we weren't good enough in the first place, and he knew it.

11. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsene Wenger Q&A: The FULL transcript of his most astonishing press conference yet. John Cross Daily Mirror.

reHere is the transcript from Friday's written press conference.

Q: You've had a fantastic career here and no-one is disputing that, but can you understand why some supporters wish there was a bit more experience there, thinking about what you may achieved if there was?

A: "I'm against superficial judgement, that's what I fight against. For example people ask 'why don't you buy central defenders?' We have a better defence than Man United if you look at the numbers, but nobody mentions that. And should we kick Vermaelen, Djourou and Szczesny out? What for?

Q: You said the team had done well for its age, so isn't experience an issue?

A: "We've done well for our age as we're second in the league. Is that a disaster for you? There are teams who invest ten times more than us, one player cost more than the whole team and they're behind us. I don't understand the way people think.

Q: It's what the supporters are thinking though, that's the issue.

A: "Do not hide behind what the supporters think, tell me what you think. You do not know what the supporters think because what people write is only 5 per cent of what they see on the internet. There are 95 per cent others.

Q: But it's not my money, it's the supporters who are paying to watch:

A: "How many supporters are complaining?"

Q: But there were people complaining after the Blackburn match.

A: "At every game I find people complaining. What are you talking about? I don't understand supporters complaining."

Q: Compared to four years ago, they weren't complaining, because it wasn't so long without a trophy?

A: "Do you judge this season or the last four seasons? Some of the clubs behind us have done nothing for 20 years, yet suddenly they get a lot of praise. I don't understand. We have eight games to go and are in a position to fight for the Championship so let's give the maximum. If we're disappointed at the end then okay. Why do you say it's a disaster when we're second in the league? Do the 18 clubs behind us have a fantastic disaster?"

Q: Are you a victim of your own success?

A: "I'm a victim of nothing. I try to do my job as well as I can, and that's it."

Q: But you are judged against your own success?

A: "I told you just now. To be consistent at the top level is the most difficult and important thing in our job. We've been in the Champions League for 15 years, and there's only two clubs who've done that in this country. It's Arsenal and Man United."

Q: Arsene, everyone respects the job you've done, but shouldn't a club like Arsenal be judged on the trophies they win? And obviously in the last six years there haven't been any trophies?

A: "Trophies are one way to judge a club."

Q: Are trophies an over rated way to judge success?

A: "They're not overrated as it allows you to say you've won a trophy, but would you swap winning the FA Cup for playing in the Champions League? Is it a trophy or not to be in the Champions League? Is it more important to win the FA Cup? We do as well as we can, and if it's not good enough it's not good enough. But what I deny is that everything is suddenly negative. We've built this club. Tomorrow, you look at the players in this team and I'll speak to you in 10 years."

Q: We know you've had some fabulous offers to leave this club - Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester City - if this continues will it make you think about leaving, if you're not being appreciated?

A: "I don't think about leaving. I love this club and do the maximum for them. I don't think like that. When I make a commitment I give absolutely everything. At the end of the season I'll look back and see what we've done well and not done well. We should not go overboard. We're second in the league so it's not a scandal. Where is the common sense there?

"I do as well as I can with the players I have. What's important for me is how well we do. All the rest I don't care about.

Q: Where would this club be without you, Arsene?

A: "I don't know where Arsenal would be without me, maybe better, maybe worse. I hope one day maybe better. I'm happy that the club goes on and gets better. But we shouldn't think we have the right to be where we are."

Q: I've rarely seen you so passionate, so upset, are you hurt?

A: "I'm not hurt at all, but I defend what we do here and the way we do it. That's all. I don't see why we should be negative when we're going for the Championship. I'm having to answer why it's a disaster. I'll have to stop talking and you write what you want. If I cannot defend that, we're second in the league and fighting for the Championship then I should stay at home, but I'm in a fighting job."

Q: Arsene, sometimes there's a criticism that you don't sign the quality of player that you used to. Have you had a change in policy?

A: "Of course, we've had a change in policy to sign younger players. It's important for football that there's another way then to just come in, put money on the table and buy a star. I feel it's very important for football."

Q: Can you expand on that?

A: "No, I don't want to expand on that. The way we are doing things is right. Personally, I'm rather proud of this team, proud of the players, if I look at this team I'm proud of them, proud of the attitude of the players and the football we play. It's only in this country that we have to face what we face. If you go anywhere else in the world Arsenal are given much more credit, I can tell you."

Q: You spoke about the age gap to Barcelona as perhaps one reason why you haven't won trophies, but how will that change if you're always bringing younger and younger players into the squad?

A: "That's why it's important to keep these players together."

Q: What about the stadium. It's important to get into the piece, to be positive, to get into the piece, because that impacted on your spending and yet no-one's talking about that? You haven't then been able to sign big players?

A: "Nobody talks about the fact we built a new stadium. We have many big players in this team, and the future will tell you that. Whether they play here or somewhere else, you'll realise they're big players."

Conclude your own opinions and thoughts.

P.S. I didn't post this in the "Can We Get An Arsene Out Sticky" thread as I will NOT contribute to that farce.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    what. a. man!

13. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. Arsene isn't f---ing around.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, he isn't.

But he's also not admitting that there's anything wrong with this club or where we are. Sometimes the arrogance that you need to succeed in a world where everyone dissects your every move is the arrogance that keeps you from getting any better.

15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A: "I'm against superficial judgement, that's what I fight against. For example people ask 'why don't you buy central defenders?' We have a better defence than Man United if you look at the numbers, but nobody mentions that. And should we kick Vermaelen, Djourou and Szczesny out? What for?

This quote had me confused. Seems like he was dodging the issue about having adequate depth.

Personally I disagree about aw saying that arsenal's defense is better than united's

16. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    If the rumours are to be believed, Hulk wants to go to the EPL. I think he'd be a great replacement for Arshavin. Buy him please.

17. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then how would you explain us having less goals allowed?

18. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Replace Arshavin? Are you mental?

19. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Hold up. You actually like Arshavin starting for us? :confused:

20. SteppaSound

SteppaSound New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes I do. Without a doubt. Has he been fustrating this sesaon? Yes. But there is no way I want to see him leave. Why?

Goals+Assists This Season:
    Andrei - 23
    Cesc - 18
    Robin - 17
    Theo - 17
    Samir - 17

Average Shots per Match
    RVP - 4.68
    Theo - 3.81
    Andrei - 3.34

All this clamouring for getting rid of Andrei reminds me of this fable:

[​IMG]

You don't know how good you have it.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hulk would be very nice and is suited to the premiership, however he would command a massive fee and wage

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^^^look at the stats thjis year then

wenger is an awesome guy and i see his points, but we couldv'e done with a couple of faces

i think next year is going to be the real test because players are hitting prime age and we have some good young back up players coming through

23. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porto definitely don't sell players cheap.

They managed to sell Bruno Alves to CSKA Moscow for 20+. He's good, but he isn't THAT good.

Hulk will get them something similar or else he'll just continue to terrorize the Portuguese league.

24. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is going to be 30 in 6 weeks, already struggles with fitness, has 2 more seasons left on his contract, and is our second most expensive buy.

We should sell this summer, recoup as much of the money as we can, and invest in someone who will be here for the long term. Next summer he will go for a pittance, and the following summer he walks on a free.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The numbers only tell a part of the story. But maybe I'm just jaded from the newcastle and spurs meltdowns and other games we gave up a lead. Relative to the rest of the league, sure we have a good defense, but we don't have the depth of players to withstand a 50 plus game schedule when facing the elite of England and Europe