What's with the referees?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by sttngfan1701d, Oct 31, 2003.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    This specifically concerns Leeds United, however officiating problems have been on the up since last season.

Anyone who looks at the table can see what a dire position Leeds are in, and with our current financial situation, we'll be facing extinction if we go down to the First Diivision and finish badly there. If that happens, I guess I'll have to become a Man Utd fan like virtually every other American football fan I've ever met.

Anyway, Peter Reid held talks with the Chief of the referees about the string of bad decisions that have Befallen us this season, and all of which the game's refs have defended. Taken from lufc.com:

"- Lamine Sakho's goal against Southampton ruled out for offside - it wasn't.
    - Birmingham being allowed to retake their penalty after Paul Robinson judged to have come off his line early - he didn't.
    - Danny Murphy's free-kick being allowed to stand despite three Liverpool players were offside.
    - No penalty given after Cyril Chapuis was brought down in the area on Tuesday night. A clear penalty.
    - Diego Forlan's goal fo Man Utd was offside."

All of these wre refuted later via video evidence, yet it was still after the fact. The results stand, and the refs defend their decisions. The most outrageous case of this was after the Liverpool match, when the ref said that he KNEW the players were offside, but allowed the goal to stand because "it was going in anyway" and it would've been "unfair" to the players if he ruled it out. What about it being unfair to the Leeds players when you let it stand? Yes, the game ended with a two goal margin, but everyone here knows that even a single goal - especially one that stands when it shouldn't have - can be a blow to morale. And, most recently, Forlan's goal was CLEARLY offside. If it didn't count, then the match could've ended 1-0, and we could've been in the 4th round of the Carling Cup instead of Man Utd.

It's not just Leeds. I've seen it in the Champion's League as well. Tackles go uncarded. The now-infamous Man Utd - Arsenal match.

I just hope this is a temporary blip and doesn't continue. All we need is another handball to be judged a header and go in as a goal.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Read the offside law. Then check out recent interpretations of the law. That's why the Murphy goal stands.

Not because the FA is out to create a new pocket of whining fans, but because it was a legitimate goal. But it seems to have been highly effective at producing whining fans, even though that was clearly an unintended consequence.

By the way, I think the real person you should blame for that one is the spaz you had playing goal"keeper" that match.

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Alright, I haven't read the new offside law. I'll do that.

And, when you look at stats, Robbo is one of the best keepers in England. Everyone makes mistakes, though. Look at Seaman

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The problem is, when you look at that play, Liverpool's players that were left behind the last defenders are not the reason that ball wound up in the back of the net.

No offense or anything, as it would suck to be a Leeds fan these past 10-12 months or so, so full credit to those who stand by their team, but referees are not the cause of any of your major problems. They certainly aren't responsible for the sale of your best players at bargain prices, and I don't think the recently announced losses have anything to do with the guys the FA's been assigning to referee your matches.

Which isn't to say the Premiership referees are the best in the world, either. Everyone knows that no league tops MLS in that regard.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    :D

Oops. Sorry. Thought I could keep a straight face on that one. But couldn't.

6. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I know full well that it's our own fault we're 19th in the league. The players have lost morale, and just aren't playing to win, but the referees have something to do with that. That's at least five decisions that have cost us games, and that's a lot for a team to take when it seems to happen every week.

Of course we need to play better, but these crappy decisions aren't helping anything.

And by 'stats' I mean saves vs goals, overall performance, etc. When you look at it like that, Robbo IS one of the best in the league. I mean, look at Brad Friedel. Blackburn didn't finish top last year by any means, but he was still the best keeper in the league.

And yes we were dreadfully mismanaged, and some of the best players have gone and more will go, but we've also been screwed as well. The sale of Harry Kewell was carried out by illegal means under FA regulations, yet no one looked into it. His agent wasn't allowed to pocket the 2 million he did. But also, when you're a financially hurt clubyou've got to sell when you can. Kewell was clearly holding out for a Bosman.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: What's with the referees?

The very fact that the offside law has to be interpreted at all is why it's such a joke. If a Liverpool player is standing a couple of yards right in front of the goalkeeper then he is to me interfering with play or active or whatever you want to call it. It should go back to like it was originally, you're either offside or you're not, end of story. This would eliminate all this crap, although it doesn't excuse Robinson letting the ball go through his grasp.

That said, referees are not the source of Leeds' position at the moment. It's obvious to anyone who's paying attention that financial mismangement resulting in the poor side that Leeds have to put out at the moment is the root of the problems.