What's with A-rod?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Obetty, Jun 9, 2009.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the coaching staff took a big leap forward before the match by benching the worst starting goalkeeper in the league....Although I must admit I was a bit frustrated with them at halftime...

They responded with some interesting changes at the half...Moving Alex to midfield was a success. I think that took FCGP by surprise. It was good to see Goffi back, although I'd like to know whats going on with Weber!

I'm glad Nobis got a chance to redeem herself after a poor performance last week...I like her as a sub. If Latham and A-Rod can get it together we'll be in great shape.

IDK if Alli is the answer to our problems in goal but I do know she can't possibly be any worse...

Now if Tony goes back to Lucky in Chicago, especially after the last match out there, I might agree with you!

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think Aly Wagner a la 2003 shows how relevant (or irrelevant) that national team experience has with regards to a rookie pro league.

Occasional games against random opponents isn't remotely comparable to the cauldron of league play where everybody knows everybody else and the slightest flaw or mistake in someone's game is immediately uncovered and exploited.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A-rod's bouncing bodacious bountiful booty looks as good as ever. :D

4. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    Do the math - the last seven games The Breakers have scored five goals.

5. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt like A-Rod did a much better job of being involved last night. What she still didn't do was kick the ball at the net. I'm hoping the light will just go on sometime soon, because the team will be much better if/when she becomes a force.

I noticed Steve Nicol and Paul Mariner were at the game last night. Perhaps they were scouting Amy for once the Breakers season ends? :D The Revs are desperate (and cheap!)

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18003109#post18003109
    by Dan Lauletta - Special to womensprosoccer.com

DiCicco/A-Rod: Let’s do it again?

I think from a gelling standpoint maybe the team didn’t quite click as good as it could have.
    Boston Breakers forward, Amy Rodriguez

“You want to kick yourself because you look at our team and we had some of the greatest names in soccer and we couldn’t get it done,” Amy Rodriguez said while moving into her new apartment in California.

“I loved Boston. I loved playing there and being part of that city. I thought it was awesome. I would love to go back there and play,” Rodriguez said before adding, “I just want to make sure I am going to play. Whatever team I end up on, I want to get some playing time.”

I am going to spend this time off really focusing on me and my game because what I showed in the WPS this year is nowhere near my potential,” she said. “In my head and in my heart I know that I am one of the best players out there and I just didn’t prove that this season. I’m hoping to kind of re-collect in this off-season and come back next March a completely different player.”

Rodriguez says that her relationship with DiCicco is good and that they are able to communicate with each other. DiCicco added, “She was always willing to listen and we had some good conversations. I’m still willing to coach her, and I think she’s still willing to play for the Boston Breakers.”

Man I hope Amy comes back....Because if she doesn't I just know she's going to kick our asses for many years to come...

7. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I hope so! We want her ready to score when she joins FCGP! ;)

8. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope she comes back... I do think that she will be a force to contend with next year... We should know soon enough if the Breakers want her back. If she's among the 10 they protect against the draft then she'll be back otherwise she's somewhere else next year...

My initial protection list would be ..

1. Lilly
    2. Smith
    3. Scott
    4. LePeilbet
    5. Mitts
    6. Nobis
    7. Webber
    8. Rodriguez
    9. Lipsher
    10. Tomecka
    10a Schmedes
    10b Fabiana

I would also like back is Bishop...

9. SoccerDuo

SoccerDuo Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Nice list. I'm surprised you don't have Hucles on that list (as well as Latham and Chapman somewhere in the 10-A and 10-B range). If you protect 10, I'd say you would want to protect: 3 forwards, 3 midfielders, 3 defenders, 1 keeper. Or something like that. You can always get more midfield help in the draft, or free agency, trades, etc.

I am still surprised you don't have Hucles on that list.

The Breakers under-achieved more than any team in the WPS last year (and the Red Stars too for their talent), and I expect a more hungry Breakers team next year. The Breakers are one of the most exciting if not thee most exciting team in the WPS. They need to be more consistent though.

And what is up with A-Rod? #1 pick of the draft, and a disappointing first year. I expected more out of her. She did really good in the Olympics against top competition. Maybe she's more of a August, September, October type of player, and not so much April, May, June, July. I don't know what it is. She just didn't look like the same player. She actually looked like her fitness wasn't as good as it was in college and in the Olympics.

Come back old A-Rod, you were a better player in 2007 and 2008.

10. shortsgurl

shortsgurl New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    A-rod will be fine. she just had a tough first year and it was her first year professionally. she will have a better year next year with the Breakers. she is one of the main reasons why i chose the Breakers as my favorite WPS team even though i don't live near a WPS city. also, i pretty much agree with mavric's list.

11. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think she should be moved for someone else while she still has some reputation left. She did nothing for us and if she stinks the joint out again she will have no value.

12. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes she was the #1 pick and yes 1 goal was not the expectation. But I think there are a couple of points to remember:

- she is still very young and needs some to grow into the league

- has amazing speed that defenders need to respect which opens up the defense for Kelly and co...

- I think the x-x-1 format did not help her. Being the lone "striker" may not fit her. Tony seems to love this format but IMHO you make the format match your team's skills. A x-x-2 I think might prove better.

- Did I mention that she is young :) Take away the top couple scorer's of the league and I think you will find a lot of 'vets' did not reach their scoring potental either..

I just don't think you should write her off yet. Once season does not make a career, especially her rookie season and I really think she is going to have a much better season next year.

I like Angela H a lot from the national team and I was less impressed with her performace during the season than a-rods. I thought many of the midfielders out played her, including Bishop, yet no one is clamoring to let her go...

For a different sport example, the succesfully teams are not bought and assembled, they are grown. The Yankees were awfull during the 80's and 90's when they were in "Spend a ton on Free Agents and buy a team" mode.. Then later 90's and early 2000 they had a core set of players they grew, filled in with some good team players and allowed to gell. In their run of 4 out of 5 WS they did not lead in any of the major catagories (HRs, ERA, or Team BP) execpt for total wins and championships... Then back to the spend-aholic ways and have not been as successfull with teams that are on paper far superior..

We all know the breakers have a ton of talent, could use maybe one more striker and if there is an upgrade at keeper available. But what they really need time to gell.. Don't panic, they'll do fine next year.. In the first go around it was not until the 3rd season that all the peices fell into place (where the season was cut short by a very questionable call!!)...

So no worries... :D

13. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to move on. We finished 5th in a 7 team league. She was the biggest field player disappointment we had.

14. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    repped

15. e20mo

e20mo New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    was A rod the biggest dissapointment? Yes, but I think for her age and experience she had the highest expectations on her. ARod is not the type of forward to play in the system Tony wants to play, she needs someone to play off of and as someone already mentioned, she didn't connect with anyone on the team playing wise.

Were there other players who should have performed WAAAAYYYY above where they did? YES! Let's face it, the team did not gel at all, Tony played players in positions that just don't bring out there best, and it didn't seem like most of the players wanted it.

Hucles, played way below the ability she showed in the Olympics, but she was playing more of a D Mid role. I seem to recall she played like crap back in WUSA days too and I think was in the same role then.

Mitts also played like CRAP the entire season. What happened to that attacking outside back? Was she out of position, technically, but I don't think the switch from R to L should have effected her this much, she is a USWNT player, I think that requires being able to play with both feet...

Lilly played OK, yes she is getting on in years, yes she just came back from having a baby, but nothing like she has been. Also, playing in Mid not up Top as she had been prior to having the baby.

Schmedes is another one I expected more of as far as scoring, though I think she did well with the opportunities to play that she got.

Latham was supremely sub par, and I actually thought she looked better in the D Mid role than she did up top, though that isn't saying much.

I'm sure I could go on here for quite a while, but I think everyone gets the point. It isn't just A Rod.

16. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I agree.. Especially about Hucles.. And I am with you.. You see it at all levels where some players shine in any given position and are less impressive playing somewhere else on the field.. The COACH needs to figure out who he has for players, their strengths, and make the system fit them not the otherway around..

The draft is the 10th correct? Only one week left..

17. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion draft is September 15th. We know the protected folks in DC, but no where else.

18. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops.. Thanks for correction!