What's the inside scoop re Trembly?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by FlashMan, Jul 26, 2002.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume he's still on the team. Is he injured? Has he played even a minute? Is he buds with his former U-17 partner in crime, Beckerman?

I saw him play a couple of times in 2000 and 2001 and I was impressed by him, albeit he was obviously raw. What gives? Is he a slouch at practice? Does Hankinson hate him? Is he still a P-40?

Anyone with the inside scoop?

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is still with the team. He hasn't seen any minutes in an MLS match this year. He played, if I recall correctly, the full match against the Calgary Storm in an exhibition match back in April.

He didn't look bad. He has a powerful boot too. I would guess that because of a strong midfield lineup for the Rapids he doesn't see any time.

Hopefully he does get some minutes this year. Put him in Hankinson, get him a few minutes, and preferrably at home in front of the local fans.

3. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    he has not been given a fair shot with this team. He has been here for three seasons and just cannot impress hankinson enough to play him. he is a good player. The biggest problem with the entire mls is that now with two less teams -every team has alot of good players sitting the bench or not even getting that far. I foresee the A-league getting that much stronger if there is not any expansion soon

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if he's not going to get any time, I imagine he may be released at the end of the year and he may have to go the A-League route to get some time and find his way back to the big time.

5. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not all that great, I'm sure the PDL will come knocking when his P40 status runs out. Speaking of, why the hell isn't he playing with the reserves just to get some PT and match fitness? It must be hard to sit watching TV in your parent's basement in Littleton making $. Make him earn his paycheque. I'm sure his attitude dosen't help, from the few times I've talked to/been around him he makes that kid from Dutch seem humble.

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My my my and that kid from Dutch, what was his name Dalton, Denny, Doyle, was a handful too.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You can blame the good folks at the NCAA for this one.

Most PDL teams are made up, mostly, of current college players.

The NCAA has a rule banning current college players from playing club games in the offseason "alongside current pros."

Thus, if the Rapids, or any MLS team for that matter, loaned a player to their local PDL team for a game, the college players on that team would be in violation of NCAA rules if they played with the MLS player.

That means that the college players would have to sit out the games with the MLS player. SInce most PDL teams are made up mostly of college players, if the college players sat out, there wouldn't be enough bodies on the PDL team for a game, thus defeating the reason the MLS player was loaned to the PDL team to begin with.

It's a wicked cycle but indicative of the many hoops and hurdles we face that other countries do not when it comes to player development.

And don't look for the NCAA to change just to make things easier for soccer to develop players. The NCAA doesn't give a rat's behind about soccer and, in fairness, the development of soccer players shouldn't be their priority. (Not that they aren't a bunch of money-grubbing, hypocrites, but that's another thread altogether.)

The way this situation changes is for MLS to take the bull by the horns and add reserve teams. This accomplishes two things: A) it expans the player pool for young players and gets them out of the stagnated college system and its silly rules B) it creates a forum for fringe and young players who aren't playing with the first team to consistently get games so that their development continues.

It's up to MLS to make this happen and until then, players like Trembly are going to fall between the cracks and never get a chance to develop properly.

8. iluvsoccer

iluvsoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Sandon -

Thanks for the informative post. It definitely helped clarify a few things.

9. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that clears up some questions about the reserve team/PDL. What it doesn't clear up is that fact that Seth should have been named Doyle.

10. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Clears up a lot. I'm going to add this: it may be too baseballish to some, but how about formal affiliate relationships with A/D3 if the I/Os determine that reserves aren't where they want to go? For instance, Rapids need player, call up from certain franchises. Player needs PT, they can get sent to same franchise. Any thoughts? I figure it, while not as ideal as reserve side, has to be an improvement over what we have now.

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Mooch" Myernick was on the Burn telecast to take some kudos for his Nats work in Korea this year, and he mentioned he was heading out the following day to England with Trembly and Beckerman to meet up with the U-20s for a tour over there.

So at least he should get a few games in.

12. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    I think everyone is in agreement that something has to be done to promote soccer in the U.S. or we might not qualify for future world cups. since there are less teams more good players are sitting the bench or not even suiting up. They need to develop an A league team and put it in the league. They did try this in the early years but they were not having the team practice with each other. They were just spending money having the players fly from all over to play one game on the weekend. If they try again, they could put a team or teams in a couple of towns and have them stay there for the season. It would save money and the reserve players would get consistent playing time. The coaches know who they can do without when they have 22 players on the teams and the also have the option to call them back up when injuries occur. Any comments as to why this is not an option?

13. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Seth started two of the first four games last season and did squat. He then dogged it in training and has not seen the field since. He is a perfect example of a guy given all the opportunties to shine but has done nothing with it. He gets to train everyday with the Rapids and if that isn't a fair enough shot to show his talent, then there isn't much else that can be done. It is his obligation, to the Rapids and himself, to make the most of his opportunity in MLS. The only reason he is still on the team is because of his P40 status. He will be released at the end of the season or whenever his p40 status is up. He could take an example from Beckerman who trains hard and applies himself to his chosen profession. Seth is a waste of talent and maybe a season or two in the A-League will give him some maturity and he can work his way back into MLS.

14. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    harsh words

15. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Harsh but true, and something that Seth needs to accept if he wants a future as a professional.

I'll back up the others above; Trembly was given a fair chance to perform for this club. First by Mooch and then by Hankinson.

The same chance was given to Hart, Beckerman, Carrieri and Kingsley.