What's the fiercest RIVALRY in Portugal?

Discussion in 'Portugal: Clubs' started by ferreirajl, Jun 28, 2005.

1. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :D I know, it is a nice piece. Just the fact that it has Figo on it makes it so much more valuable. And it is hard to put a price tag to it, cause if you're like me, you'll never let go of it, right?

2. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I also have a Real Madrid Jersey autographed by him and a 5 x 7 Picture...

I had him sign them when Real played Roma at Giants Stadium...

3. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You had to know some people to get so close to him...

4. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Thats a nice jersey to have. BTW, Did you have to kiss the Pope's ring to get that jersey? :p

5. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Warm ups at Giants Stadium....before the game...Charlie Stillitano is the man...

6. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    actually was a gift from a friend of mine who happens to be a doctor in Portugal and knows FC Porto's doctor.

7. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't get me wrong, I actually find this thread interesting too, and I have no problem that he was throwing jabs at his rivals. I was just pointing out that he makes sure he throws jabs at his rivals in most of the threads he starts, which is perfectly fine because thats what makes these boards fun sometimes.

8. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Like most players, he chose the team who offered him the most money to play for them. :D

9. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Is this the same table where the goalie from the green side couldn't stop anything? I mean you'd see a shot from the red side's defense and for sure you'd thought the goalie could stop it but somehow the goalie would get a piece of the ball as it went in.

10. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I remember playing foosball at my local Portuguese club during "festas". It would be 2 on 2 and the winners would stay and play the next challengers. Sometimes my teammate and I would get on a good roll and we would get to play foosball all night on only 25 cents. The next day my wrists would be sore from playing so long.

All the foosball tables we've had at my local club have always been Benfica v Sporting or Benfica v Porto. Currently it's Benfica v Porto.

11. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I don't know, but, do you think it's possible that the reason why people would ask if you were Benfica or Sporting was because, oh, I don't know, that you were in LISBON!

Where were you born? Porto? Or, did you move down to Lisbon from Porto when you were a kid? Or, was your father a big Portista and handed that down to you.

I'd be careful if I were you. All these factors could really annoy the monkeys that post these non-sensical rants about how you should only support your hometown team or why you shouldn't listen to your father when he tells you to support his team soon after Benfica wins championships.

12. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My ears are burning.

Hey Brian what's your take on Benfica (city wise)

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

Huh... I was born right here in Campo Grande, Lisboa. 5 minutes away from the Giant Toilet Seat.

But my old man is from Penafiel and also a Porto fan so, fortunately for me, I had the chance of becoming a Porto fan.

14. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Come on already with the giant toilet seat...:D

Better than that hunk of cement with seats on it called a stadium...you know the one with the glass roof that cooks their fans:D

The one with the open air end zones so all the sound leaves the stadium...

The one that looks like a Mausoleum...

The one that "didn't" hold a meaningful game this year...

The one that rotated 3 coaches last year....

The one that has the fewest toilets and concession stands...

The one that makes you walk 12 miles before you actually "enter" the stadium...

Yeah it's nice.:rolleyes:

15. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Even though I'm a Portista and emotionally hurt by your comments (sniff... :( ) I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JuveleoRules again... because most of your comments are right on :rolleyes: , I'll admit! Except the one about holding a meaningful game this year. I remember one: Porto 3 - Sporting 0 ... Our best game of the season, by far. Oh, I just noticed this post does fit in with the title of this thread.

16. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, if you call beating the third place team 3-0 at home meaningful:rolleyes: then I will detract that one line:D

17. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Oh no. You were born in Lisbon but decided not to support one of your local hometown teams and listened to your father instead?

That's a sin in some books. Where's my monkey? Let him have it, monkey! :D

18. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Oh I see.... this is part of your on going flirt with GoodDead isn't it?

Well, don't bring me into the middle of it, alright?

19. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Well, sorry to bring you into the middle of it, but, you being a Porto fan makes my point.

When Benfica won the championship we all got to listen to a nice long rant about how Benfica is the death of the Superliga because all the local folks won't support their local teams because they support Benfica, blah, blah, blah.

Then when a guy who was born, raised, and lives in Lisboa supports not Benfica, Sporting, Belenenses, or any of the other teams near the city, but rather Porto; you don't get slammed for it. Instead, you get to sit back and enjoy a nice you know what as the monkey gets on his knees.

The monkey says...

HAHAHA another reason why this guy is one of my fav's on these boards. Cussing out an old lady for ignoring Porto.

And he claims to be fair and balanced when he posts. :rolleyes: The monkey is about as fair and balanced as those monkeys over at Fox News Channel.

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LOL Your one of my favorite posters too Brian, for many of the same reasons as ferreira so calma. I'm still waiting for you to send me a Simao pic to photoshop.

21. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

For a minute there I thought you two were breaking up.

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well I pretty much killed the feud. I went back to see where it all started to steem up and laughed when I found the "insult" that got Brian going.
    in the SLB champs thread I congratulated his team and then jumped all over me just because I said that Benfiquistas were robbed of a trophy ceremony in Luz, what he called a "dig" at the time? and really started crap and brought up Braga for no reason. And then he goes around acting like some victim.

23. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Nah, once in a while my monkey just needs to be kept in line. We'll soon be coming to perform in a street near you.

[​IMG]

24. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    I thought we had a smack thread.

25. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    No, monkey, you seem to be a bit confused. I thought we were throwing little jabs at each other in the Benfica Championship thread.

Let's take a look back.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5015324&postcount=31

Did you see RTPi's NON-STOP Coverage of the teams trip back to Luz? Insanity bands were playing while the people waited The team finally got in at 4am and No Medals, No Trophy? The confetti didn't spray properly and the players left in 5 minutes? I thought I was gonna see something spectacular but it was a Benfica celebration which means all hype and no real finish.

I hope SLB fans enjoy the moment it could be another 11 years until they live it again

Nothing wrong with a back handed compliment right?

So, of course I responded.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5015364&postcount=34

We'll see one before Braga ever does. Now enjoy some more pictures of Simao in his underwear. I posted them just for you (and Aveirenses too).

I guess the truth really stung you deep cos you freaked out and posted this:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5015652&postcount=43

ahhh the reason no one likes a Benfiquista surfaces. Never show any class.

BTW if Braga had the $ and the Ridiculous amount of support SLB has it wouldn't take them 11 years to win titles. They'd be exchanging them year for year with Porto.

But then again I don't care because I'm not a pathetic Glory Hunter like you. So where abouts in Benfica are you or your family from? ...I thought so.

You hear that fereirrajl, you glory hunter! Where abouts are your family from? My monkey demands to know!