What's the easiest language for English speakers to learn?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by ASU55RR, Apr 9, 2008.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You win!

4. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty good. I've got it, read it once, though it was a while ago...

And I don't remember that in the book... England, really? Because it's pretty permanent here in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, not to mention the Caribbean and India and South Africa...

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the problem is in the way question is worded. but it does make more sense to consider it as asking the only place Germanic languages permanently spread following the fall of the Roman Empire.

6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I guess weird wording. It reminds me of a professor I had who would ask if we could name the only native English-speaking country to be conquered after 1066 and the answer was the Confederate States of America.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are tough. The point he was making is that Germanic tribes conquered present-day England, France, North Italy, Spain, and North Africa, but their language only spread into England.

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohhhhh...

9. vbestic

vbestic New Member

May 30, 2013
    1) Spanish: It is one of the romance languages, covering 22 countries with a minimum of four hundred million speakers worldwide. By many standards, it is very easy to learn for English speakers as the vocabulary is simple and straightforward. It is also similar to English because of their root.

2) French: French may be hard to learn for non English speakers. But for English speakers is fairly easy for similar reasons as Spanish. French has harder grammar than Spanish but it can be learned fairly easy.

4) Italian: This is another romantic language with very easy vocabulary. It is a very rhythmic language that has most of its words ending in vowels. Since its vocabulary is rooted in Latin, it makes it easy for people who speak the Indo-European Latin-influenced languages to learn it.

For more information including interactive language comparison chart you can visit this link: http://theeasiestlanguagetolearn.com

I hope I helped :) What's easiest language in your opinion?

10. Abu Dubai

Abu Dubai Member

Jun 20, 2013
    UAE: Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I agree, Spanish and English are two of the easiest languages in the world. But your website is very inaccurate about other things. Hindi is not based on Urdu. Hindi and Urdu are actually one language called Hindustani. Also what does it mean Urdu is an Arabic script? Urdu isn't related to Arabic, both languages extend from different families. ;)

11. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hindi and Urdu are at least different dialects, but for political, social, and cultural reasons, they are considered distinct languages. I don't know enough about either language, though Wikipedia has them listed on the mutual intelligibility article as dialects or registers considered separate languages along with Malay/Indonesian and Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian.

Urdu draws a lot from Arabic, their script, for example... ;)

12. Abu Dubai

Abu Dubai Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    It's not the Arabic script. I tried reading Urdu, there are significant differences, too many modifications to the alphabets which make it very alien. To call it Arabic script is to oversimplify. The Urdu script's closest partner is the Persian script. Arabic never had direct influences on Urdu. Urdu was an offshoot of Persian from Mughal times so the language isn't an "Arabic script" as the website falsely suggests. Arabic is semitic, Urdu isn't. :)

13. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well there are always tricky problems with using a script for one language with a completely different language. english uses the latin script, as does italian, german, and romanian, though they're largely pronounced completely differently. same with yiddish/hebrew.

14. Abu Dubai

Abu Dubai Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    No objection. :D

15. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Way to Eurocentric conversation here lol but I'll bite. Spanish is quite easy to learn. Arabic, Turkish, Russian, Bulgarian, Cantonese is the hardest.